Hello! :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen M White

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Jen and my husband is Nick. We have 2 minis, Horhay and J.D. (and lots of other animals
default_smile.png
) We live in Michigan, and our babies are getting their winter coats, and also lots of dandruff! I've heard of giving them flaxseed to help with it. Does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions to help with their dry skin?

Thanks!

Try using an anti-dandruff shampoo if its a warmer day, also spraying plain listerine into the coat, putting corn/vegetable oil in the feed, and some conditioner/oil in the coat.

try sunflower seeds.
Just a note, the sunflower seeds used are the black oil seeds NOT regular striped sunflower seeds. You will have to be careful not to feed too much of the seed or your horses will get quite chubby
default_wink.png
I have used both the BOSS and flax at different times and personally prefer the flax but I know other people who feel the BOSS is a better option. Either one is tidier and easier to feed IMO than liquid oil. The only other thing that I know of that helps with dandruff during the winter when bathing is out of the question, is vacuuming and .. brush, brush, brush and brush some more.

Welcome to the forum, from British Columbia, Canada
default_yes.gif

Just a note, the sunflower seeds used are the black oil seeds NOT regular striped sunflower seeds. You will have to be careful not to feed too much of the seed or your horses will get quite chubby
default_wink.png
I have used both the BOSS and flax at different times and personally prefer the flax but I know other people who feel the BOSS is a better option. Either one is tidier and easier to feed IMO than liquid oil. The only other thing that I know of that helps with dandruff during the winter when bathing is out of the question, is vacuuming and .. brush, brush, brush and brush some more.

Welcome to the forum, from British Columbia, Canada
default_yes.gif
You are so right, I'm bad! Yes black oil sunflower seeds! Welcome again.

Though I am too new to minis to offer suggestions, I can say flax seed oil makes my dogs coats gorgeous during the drier winter months! It seems to help with itchiness too.

Good luck and welcome!

default_saludando.gif

Sorry about that reply i added a million times!

Thank you so much everyone!! I have some flax I'm going to try ( for the doggies and goatsies too I think ).
default_smile.png

Welcome, Jen & Nick! I like flax seed, too, but you could also try Uckele's CocoSoya. I had two mares with skin conditions and this really put the bloom on them. And, if you want something for their skin that they don't have to ingest, try Shapley's M-T-G (stinky, but it works wonders!); wear latex gloves and just rub it into their skin.

Latest posts

Back