Hello again and ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallin4minis

Reaction score
Hi all!
saludando.gif

Haven't posted much but I sign on and read almost everyday; learning so much-I really love this forum!
yes.gif

I have a 6 mo. old colt that I plan to geld this winter if he's ready. I purchased him as a pet and hopefully will train him to pull a cart just for fun. His name is D'Armond's Silver Snow Storm, aka Rebel, a name he has earned, lol! He is a son of Lucky Four Skippa Snow Storm by Wittmaacks Little Skipper and out of D'Armond's GG'S Swiss Miss, a daughter of McRae's Mr. GG. He's got one blue eye, kinda of a smutty/silver palomino color and is just a doll! I'll post a picture as soon as I get my hands on a digital camera.

I've owned big horses most of my life but now have just the one mini. He is my first mini and my first baby to raise!

He has really bonded to us but I worry about my Rebel being lonely. We have a pot-bellied pig and 6 hens as companions for him and I know it'll never really take the place of his need to be a part of a herd but so far it seems to be working out ok. I've had him home for 3 mos. My place is set up for just one for now. I'm hoping in the near future I'll be able to fence off more of my yard (1.5 acres) and get another one.

Just curious if any of you own just one mini?

What other animals would make a good companion?

Thanks!

Fallin4mini's

P.S. Now I know why they're compared to Lay's potato chips
biggrin.gif

Welcome here from VA!

When I got my first mini (I had big horses, too), I did just have ONE mini but I'm not sure how much I can boast on my will power because at the same time I bought my first mini, I also bought my first small pony / over grown mini foal to keep him company. That mini, Eclipse, and pony, Sundance, were also our first hooved babies AND the first horses we ever took care of "all by ourselves" as the big horses have always been boarded and cared for by others.

You probably are smart doing it this way, though. Eclipse and Sundance were both not handled much when we brought them home as young weanlings and they very much bonded to each other but it made them harder for us to handle. We finally had to separate them for a period of time so they would "tame down".

We got those two in 1999, and they are still best friends. When Eclipse went away to be trained to drive, I know Sundance missed him but when he got to come home, it was so emotional to watch them meet up again and they were both overjoyed to be reunited.

I know that you're going to really enjoy being into minis!!! Also, I bet your boy is some sort of silver dapple. They often look kind of smutty or dark palomino and I love silvers!

Jill

bye.gif

Welcome from Wi! I bought my first three mini's as a package deal and not long after that brought home a miniature donkey. I am already thinking about my next mini! But to answer your question - why not concider a goat if you are not sure about getting another miniature horse right now? You do have chickens and the pot-bellied pig so it's not like he's totally alone though!
smile.gif
saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my first mini this past summer and he's now 7 months old. I have 1 big horse and a donkey and i keep the mini in a seperate fence. I feel like he needs company, so sometime down the road i plan on getting another one.

I've been having such a good time with this little guy, thanks Tracy.

I had just one mini... for three months.
laugh.gif
I bought my yearling stallion in January (brought him home in February). He had the company of my three young full-size horses as they were in the next corral for winter getting extra goodies for their young growing selves.

I bought my 2 year old mare the first week of May and I brought my weanling filly home the end of September.

They truly are like potato chips, you can't have just one. Although, around here that could also be said of full-size horses... I have 5 (one is for sale).

haha! One? We started out with two, so there was no hope from the beginning....We had 8 within a year. If one's fun, more are more fun!
wub.gif

One filly I sold years ago was to a first-time mini family, and she was an "only-mini" for three years or so. She bonded to the family's dogs, and of course to the family. When they did get a second horse though, Emmy was overjoyed. Horses do love having companions of their species. Your horse isn't alone-- the pig and the chickens are surely very helpful-- and as Jill said, having him without a second one at this time will help him bond strongly to you as well. He will surely be just fine until you are fully prepared to bring home another mini.
smile.gif

I bought just one and that was my daughters fault as the one she purchase was being deliver as I was leaving the house and hers was being deliver to the houseso being a nice guy I back up to let them come down the driveway and off load my daughters new mini and they had a few more on the trailer as they were heading home to Maryland and they wer telling me that they were heading home the next day(I live in Mass.). Far as I figure it that was to much time to be in a thinking mood and as they left Mass they left with two less than went they arrive or after they left the day before. Between my daughter and I we now have 7 and her friend has join us with 2 more. I guess they are just like poison ivy, once in contact they just keep spreading but at they are loveable.

Hi, I bought a mini donkey and she was alone for a few months before I got my mini mare. She seemed ok but I did want her to have a buddy. I don't know where you are located but I have a mini donkey colt who would make a great friend if you need one.

My father has 1 small miniature and he spoils her rotten - even has low music in her barn at night - he has her driving almost every day, those 2 are joined at the hip - mom some times gets jeolious so dad bought her a puppy - so now they are both happy.

I now have the mini bug and started off with 1 - then 2 -then a third - then bought my mare whick now brings the total to 4 with her baby filly, who is now 4 months old. I prommised my hubby I would not get anymore and I do hope I seperated my stallion long enough and the mare and him did not get hooked up - I let the last owner know if the mare I bought from her was hooked up with my stallion that after it is born she will be adding another to her heard since my new barn is only made for 4 horses and not 5.I she has a baby next year and I dared to keep it hubby said I would be sleeping with the horses and not in the house - now I do not know if that would be good or not - at least the horses listen to me while hubby does not - he is in his own world.

He says I always put the horses before him - well do not tell him -- I DO -they make better company then a couch potatoe. /lol

[SIZE=14pt]We just got our second yesterday, the two of them are in my avatar. I thought that the gray, Captain Moptop was doing better than he was, when I brought the bay home, he was so excited! So its nice when you have two in the same pasture.[/SIZE]
biggrin.gif

Thank you all for your replies! I can definately see another mini in the plans but am reassured by Magic & Jill's comments about the advantage of this time to really bond with him while he's an 'only child'.

ibquackers20- low music in the barn?......hey, I like that idea! I love what you wrote about your dad and his mini-joined at the hip, lol!

cast- that's it, blame it on the daughter, eh? Gosh, you did good- if a truck full was in my drive way I don't know if I could have stopped at 2! poison ivy without the annoying itch!

I can't wait though to see how he'll react when we do get another one and to watch them run around feeling frisky on cool mornings. I'm lucky too in that while hubby isn't a horsey person ( his only flaw
wink.gif
) he really enjoys minis and doesn't mind getting another one- cool huh? C'mon money tree!

Latest posts

Back