Heavy weight blanket suggestions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GwynethYogi

Reaction score
I've decided to go shopping for the perfect winter blanket now, so that when I need one I'll have one.
default_smile.png
I've tried the arctic twister blanket but didn't like it that much, it started to leak within a month of use, I also don't like the cut back at the withers for a winter blanket. I've also tried the kensington roustabout blanket but I'm not in love with it either. It started to leak after four months of use, and I'd like one that is a little warmer.

I've always used Weatherbeetas for my big horses and I love them, what does everyone think of their mini blankets? I'd love to see pictures. :D

I've also heard good things bout the RaDon blankets. How warm is their winter blanket? What is it's lining? (I think I've heard that it's fleece?) Again, pictures would be great. ;)

Thanks in advance!

I guess the first question is why blanket? Are you keeping your horse(s) bodyclipped? Some need for a lighter winter coat? Otherwise, just keep the blankets you have for an emergency and skip blanketing. You will notice their hair fluff up when it is super cold, and they will stand out when it snows you will see the snow pile up on their backs. It won't melt because no heat is escaping. As long as they have shelter and are healthy they don't need blankets, they are horses and grow hair to keep warm.

Yes, I keep mine clipped (or at least partially clipped) year round (conditioning for CDEs). I find that they get cold being outside with their current blankets, that is why I want to go to the next step up.

I'm a huge fan of the Kensington brand of blankets. They stand up to the rigors of my hard keeper who does everything but dance a jig trying to get hers off!

And while I only find that, in general, the hard keeper needs to be blanketed on an off throughout our winters here in Maryland, I keep enough blankets on hand for everyone. I also have several fly sheets and just "covers" in general. I also have two new fleece ones I purchased last winter...they are divine.

I would suggest adding a fleece blanket liner to keep them warm, and keep them stalled in wet weather. The concern with waterproof blankets is that they don't breathe and you could end up with skin problems. Or, turn out in waterproof and stall in non waterproof. Maybe just trace clip instead of body clip.

I agree with the above, some of the winter combo rugs just don't allow enough ventilation leading to skin conditions. Whilst I do have them I don't like leaving them on for long periods of time. I much prefer a good canvas rug. That way I can add a doona rug or a polar fleece depending on the cold weather.

In Australia our better two brands are wetherbeeta & Saxon.

Best of Luck with finding the right choice
default_thumbup.gif

Latest posts

Back