heat cycles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazzyear

Reaction score
how can you tell if your jenny is in heat? is it like a mini horse? do they cycle every 21 days like a horse? how long are they in heat?

I don't know a lot about jennies, I don't have any but have had a couple here to "try" to breed to my jack.

From what I've heard, been told....... a jenny's heat is shorter than a mares. They will "chew" the air when in heat, much like a young horse will do when approaching an older herd memeber.

I do know jennys are generally quite forceful when in heat too. They will back a jack into the corner. The one experienced jenny I had here backed poor Kilroy into a corner and he didn't know how to accept that. My friend said when her jennies are in heat, they have actually backed gelding donkeys into corners and forced them to breed them.
default_yes.gif
:
default_unsure.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Ella can be a pest when she is in season.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Like minimule said,, they gum the air like young foals do, Ella also sticks her tail straight out. Is soo funny looking.

Then she tries to get the horses interested. They just totally ignore her.

Since she has been her over an year and a half,, she has kind'a given up on backing into my mares.

I currently have 4 jennies and no jack...tlak about some fristrated females...just imagine lesbians and you get the picture
default_wacko.png
:

Hi there...my jennys definitely chew in the air and they also make a BIG deal when they pee. They get their back legs spread wide...BIG tail arched in the air and look around to see if my jack is watching...it is quite a show lol! After she is done peeing the jack will kinda strut on over...smell the pee...then it looks as though he prays to the heavens (you'll know what I am saying) then he pee's over the spot that the jenny just pee'd in and if he smells that she is ready...she is usually nearby waiting. Jenny's are not shy and can be sexually aggressive as mentioned. LOL...I can't imagine having all jenny's in heat all the time...talk about hormonal teenagers
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Definitely chew the air, and hold there tails straight out, and if you have another jenny in with them (at least mine do
default_wink.png
: ) they will be chasing them, braying at them and trying to "jump" the jenny in heat. jennys are so much more obivious then my mares are
default_wink.png
: :bgrin Corinne

Latest posts

Back