Heat Cycle

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy2m

Reaction score
Abby coliced again yesterday. Before it was in June. And before it was in June of 2006 and a few times after. After checking everything ( No sand, no feed change) the only common factor is she has been in her heat cycle. She never coliced when she was in foal with Shelby. I have read a little online about his, has anyone else had a mare colic with their heat cycle. What did you do for it. I'm calling the vet tommorrow to see what he suggests we do. Thanks, Kathy

Is it a full blown colic or more of an upset stomach biting at her sides type thing? The reason I ask, I have a friend who had a mare that she would give a little banamine to when she was in season a couple of times I know about, because she would act like her stomach was upset.

Ovulation can be very painful, easily causing colic or colic-like symptoms. If its REALLY serious and you don't intend to breed, removing the overies can be very easy. Regumate, or one of the nutricudicles might also help. Banamine every few days can help too.

Is it a full blown colic or more of an upset stomach biting at her sides type thing? The reason I ask, I have a friend who had a mare that she would give a little banamine to when she was in season a couple of times I know about, because she would act like her stomach was upset.
She lays down but still tries to eat while down, then gets up and stands stretched out. Just generally looking uncomfortable. I have given her banamine with each episode and within an hour she is fine.

Ovulation can be very painful, easily causing colic or colic-like symptoms. If its REALLY serious and you don't intend to breed, removing the ovaries can be very easy. Regumate, or one of the nutricudicles might also help. Banamine every few days can help too.
I will never breed her again, she has a bad stifle. I have read about using Regumate and was wondering if there were some herbal supplements I could try instead. If it continues maybe I'll consider the surgery.

I have a couple of mares that act colicky like yours when they are in heat, a young mare who's never been bred and one of my experienced mares. I just give a dose (or 2) of banamine to get them through it.

Rita

There are some herbal products......I use PMS (yes, really
default_smile.png
) on a big mare, and they also have something called Cramp-X if they really have a lot of discomfort. Look on www.herbs4horses.com . Certainly worth a try.

Jan

I have had a mare that was like yours. I use to give her banamine for a couple of days. There is also Herbal products you can try. There is two different companies. Here is the information.

Equine Science Equine Science

Wendals Herbs through Horse Health USA Horse Health USA

I think it would be worth a try to do the Herbal supplement. I would give her banamine for this heat cycle and then get her started on the herbs and see if it works for the next one.

I had a colt who had a cough that he couldn't get rid of. He had been on antibiotics several times and within a few days after stopping the cough would come back. So we (vets and I) assumed it might be an allergy to something. I put him on a Herbal supplement for allergies from Equine Science and it cleared right up. He has been off the herbal supplement for months now and does not have the cough.

Latest posts

Back