HEARTWORM DISEASE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Tree Miniatures

Reaction score
HI, MY HUSBAND AND I RECENTLY ADOPTED A DOG FROM AN ANIMAL SHELTER TO FIND OUT HE HAS HEARTWORM DISEASE. HE IS A "LEVEL 3" AND WE STARTED HIS FIRST TREATMENT APRIL 23RD. MY QUESTION IS HAS ANYONE EVERY BEEN THROUGH THIS THAT COULD GIVE ME ANY ADVISE OR WOULD CARE TO SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH THIS HORRIBLE DISEASE. I WORK AT THE VET'S OFFICE BUT WOULD LOVE TO HEAR AN OWNER'S PERSPECTIVE ON THE SUBJECT. THANK YOU AND PLEASE PRAY FOR "JACKSON" THAT HE MAY BE COMFORTED.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never owned a dog who had heartworm, all my dogs are tested and on heartguard year around. But, my son/DIL found a cute little stray, right in our front yard..so we are sure someone dropped the poor little guy off, since it was in the middle of winter. This also was about 6 years ago..so I am sure by now treatments could of changed for the better. He was a small pug and when they took him in to the vet for his shots etc, he tested positive for heartworm. This was only about 1 week after they found him. They went thru all the tests and meds for heartwrom, there vet bill was a little over $1,000. ..Mugsy, lived about 10 months and then passed away. He was given a purple heart at the vet clinic for bravery because of his tiny size. Everyone loved him, and at least he knew that his 10 months someone loved him very much and would do everything they possible could for him. It was so well worth it to give him that much. IS there anything you wanted to know in particular? I can ask my DIL. I will definitely be praying for Jackson that he is cured.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never owned a dog who had heartworm, all my dogs are tested and on heartguard year around. But, my son/DIL found a cute little stray, right in our front yard..so we are sure someone dropped the poor little guy off, since it was in the middle of winter. This also was about 6 years ago..so I am sure by now treatments could of changed for the better. He was a small pug and when they took him in to the vet for his shots etc, he tested positive for heartworm. This was only about 1 week after they found him. They went thru all the tests and meds for heartwrom, there vet bill was a little over $1,000. ..Mugsy, lived about 10 months and then passed away. He was given a purple heart at the vet clinic for bravery because of his tiny size. Everyone loved him, and at least he knew that his 10 months someone loved him very much and would do everything they possible could for him. It was so well worth it to give him that much. IS there anything you wanted to know in particular? I can ask my DIL. I will definitely be praying for Jackson that he is cured.
I haven't dealth with heartworm treatment in many years, but it is very often quite successfuylThe treatment used to be giving a meds that kills the adult worms and flushes them into the dog's system.You had to keep the dog quiet and crated after treatment due to the possibility of massive amounts of worms getting into the lungs.I am sure if you ask your vet they will explain it to you in great detail.Good luck and bless you for giving the dog a second chance.

My friend was adopted by a beautiful male German Shepherd that was found to be badly infested with heartworm. It was either put him down or give it a shot with the treatment (if he died, at least they tried kinda thing). He had his last shot last month and will be tested this week I believe; he seems to have beaten them
default_yes.gif
So, yes, the treatment can be and is often successful.

THANKS GUYS! I WORK AT THE VET'S OFFICE SO I KNOW THE TREATMENT FROM A VET'S POINT OF VIEW, I GUESS I AM CURIOUS FROM AN OWNER'S POINT OF VIEW WHAT TO EXPECT. ANY HELPFUL TIPS OR ADVICE GOOD OR BAD THAT YOU CAN GIVE TO ME. I CAN GIVE ADVICE TO CLIENTS ALL DAY BUT NOW THE SHOE IS ON THE OTHER FOOT SO TO SPEAK AND I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM A PERSON WHO HAS BEEN THROUGH IT. DID YOUR DOG REACH A "BOTTOMING OUT" POINT AND ONCE THAT HAPPENED THEN DID YOU SEE SOME IMPROVEMENT? HE IS CONFINED, BUT WATCHING THE LABORED BREATHING IS TOUGH TO DO... VERY SAD.

My friend's dog had a bit of the laboured breathing, but only when walking/running (no, she didn't keep him crated the whole time at all), but wasn't too bad.

My sons pug never had the labored breathing. I should of also posted, that when they found him..he was already a "older" dog, and that the vets did think (according to all the tests) that he had beaten heartworm too. They also never kept him crated, or confined. They were just glad to have helped him and had given him a extra 10 months of life knowing he was loved, and being cared for. He was in horrible skinny shape when he was found.

Latest posts

Back