Heart sounds of Foals-when??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldStageMinis

Reaction score
Hi All--relatively new to miniatures-but have a question--I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to hear the heartbeat of foals in utero? What age is it possible? using an external stethoscope? Has anyone done it? I'm wondering if I can determine pregnancy.

Also, has anyone ever used the external ultrasounds? Are they difficult to use? Accurate?

Thanks for the information, Julie S

You can't hear a foal heartbeat in any horse- too much stuff between the outside and the foal, unlike a human. Plus mama has all those gurgles, too.
laugh.gif

It would be cool if we could- no more preg testing with palps or ultrasound! But, alas....

Lucy

Bummer!! I would have thought with a good stethoscope by about 6-7 months I could hear something!! Oh well, it was worth a try!

So everyone just ultrasounds with the vet I guess.

At 6/7 mo's you can always feel foal movement...

No ultrasounds here--I've got 3 confirmed in foal by the "feel the movement" method; 4th one I'm sure is in foal but haven't confirmed by feel because the mare is such a witch that feeling her belly isn't an option. The other 2 aren't far enough along to feel for foal movement--another month & we should be able to tell on them.

Latest posts

Back