Hay wastage...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicmac74

Reaction score
My two mini's get a flake of Alfalfa in the am and a flake of Timothy in the pm plus a cup of Omelene 200 each and a mineral/salt horse lick. They leave behind the stems of the alfalfa and then barely eat the Timothy. This is leading to lots of hay spread out on th ground and waste. Could I put them on all Alfalfa?I know the grass hay is good for them but they just won't touch it. I have tried not feeding again until it is all cleaned up but it just sits there!!The hay is very good quality..no mold and smells sweet. They both just had their teeth done a few weeks ago. I am a bit worried that they don't eat the stems of the alfalfa (well..they eat some of them but leave a lot of that too). Maybe I should give Alfalfa in the am and switch to a complete feed?Forage is the most important thing in their diet..I am aware of that but it seems so much is wasted. Any advice would be so appreciated!

Spoiled little buggars aren't they?

They do the same thing here soon as they see the alfalfa! They love it but I don't want my hay based on it alone. I use grass hay as my base and then mix the alfalfa in with it. I do know however that sometimes Timothy doesn't seem as palatable. Mine don't usually care for timothy; it seems more coarse around here so we went back to orchard grass. And no, I would not take hay away from them and replace it with complete feed with winter coming on, they'll need to keep chewing to stay warm.

Maybe you can try to look for another hay other than timothy to mix with it and that should work. Come winter, they should be happy to have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed alfalfa pellets or cubes (soaked) instead of grain. And straight grass hay and even Trystan my little "waster" when I first got him eats EVERYTHING now. I also feed hay in wall feeders so very little gets trampled on. I can honestly say I have zero waste. Oh and everyone is still FAT.

ha ha. I was going to write exactly that in my OP!!"Spoiled little buggars" for sure!!lol. I might try Orchard mixed in with the alfalfa. I feel the same..I do not want my hay based on pure alfalfa alone. I feel much more comfortable with a grass/alfalfa mix but that is hard to find around here so I figured I would just mix it up with the am/pm feeds. Orchard might go down better. Thanks!

Spoiled little buggars aren't they?
They do the same thing here soon as they see the alfalfa! They love it but I don't want my hay based on it alone. I use grass hay as my base and then mix the alfalfa in with it. I do know however that sometimes Timothy doesn't seem as palatable. Mine don't usually care for timothy; it seems more coarse around here so we went back to orchard grass. And no, I would not take hay away from them and replace it with complete feed with winter coming on, they'll need to keep chewing to stay warm.

Maybe you can try to look for another hay other than timothy to mix with it and that should work. Come winter, they should be happy to have it.

Wall feeders would be a good idea!. I have two little "wasters"!Do they come in mini sizes?Which grass hay to you feed? I have never fed hay cubes before. How much do you feed?I know it depnds on weight but just approx.?Thanks!

I feed alfalfa pellets or cubes (soaked) instead of grain. And straight grass hay and even Trystan my little "waster" when I first got him eats EVERYTHING now. I also feed hay in wall feeders so very little gets trampled on. I can honestly say I have zero waste. Oh and everyone is still FAT.

When I first got my mini, I got regular timothy from the local feed store and also noticed A LOT of waste, mostly the stemmy, coarse pieces. Then I visited the local farmer and he showed me all the different types of hay. We switched to a grass mix, which was really soft and without any stems and Goldi gobbled it all up immediately. I was amazed by the difference!

My horses will any 'type' of hay, alfalfa is their fasvorite of course, but they et timothy, brome or orchard grass with the same level of enjoyment. What they won't eat is large coarse stems. If the gas/legume has been allowed to mature they leave the stems and only eat small stems and leaves. Their little mouths are not good at eating the coarser stuff (altho they 'eat' my fences at times ;) )I just make sure to select finer hay for them (if I had a chopper I'd chop the coarser stuff)

Tast your grass hay. Even if it smells sweet it could be bitter. Tast randomly in a few different spots. If it is sweet, take them off the alfelfa for a week or two. Replace it with the grass hay. Just long enough for them to aquire a taste for the grass hay. They won't starve. My dad always said "Leave them long enough and they will eat a peanut butter sandwich". It could be bitter grass hay or you have to MAKE them eat it.

Sounds like they like the alfalfa better, but I would also offer that it may mean you are also offering too much hay. I had a huge amount of waste last winter/spring and cut the amount. Then they ate it all. The other way, a couple of them just were too fat by winters end. Flakes can be different based on their baling. i more gauge the weight that I pick up more then counting flakes now as hay is too expensive to waste!
default_smile.png

Barb

Two suggestions here: weigh your hay so you don't overfeed and try feeding the timothy in the AM (when they are likely hungrier) and the alfalfa in the PM.

I agree with Barb. I was having this same problem. Its so expensive and to end up raking half of it back up to throw out was killer. I started cutting portions back and we have no waste now. Everyone is still fat and sassy. I do feed T&A.

I was thinking that too!Obviously if they leave lots of large, chunky stems..they are having trouble eating it. I know the hay (both alfalfa and timothy) is of a very nice quality so it could not be that. I did go and buy some nice soft orchard hay today so maybe that will go down better. I also got some alfalfa cubes that I will soak. It might be easier for them to eat those and still get the benefits of alfalfa plus the orchard so they are not on an all alfalfa diet. I do hear, though, and have seen for myself, that many horses on an all alfalfa diet look absolutely amazing. Super shiny with nice toplines. I still don't feel quite right about it though so am sticking with the grass mix..better for their health, I feel.
default_smile.png

My horses will any 'type' of hay, alfalfa is their fasvorite of course, but they et timothy, brome or orchard grass with the same level of enjoyment. What they won't eat is large coarse stems. If the gas/legume has been allowed to mature they leave the stems and only eat small stems and leaves. Their little mouths are not good at eating the coarser stuff (altho they 'eat' my fences at times ;) )I just make sure to select finer hay for them (if I had a chopper I'd chop the coarser stuff)

My dad also used to say something similar too!!lol...I know they will eat the timothy eventually and even the thick stems of the alfalfa after some time. But, I want them to be comfortable though and to still get all their nutrition in. I think the softer Orchard will go down a little easier for them and, mayne you are right, the timothy could well be bitter in parts. I have not had it tested. I have not had mini's before so am really really appreciating everyone's advice and help on the forum. Love it!!I have never had a regular horse leave any hay behind. Mini diets definitely require a bit more "tweaking", I am finding!

Tast your grass hay. Even if it smells sweet it could be bitter. Tast randomly in a few different spots. If it is sweet, take them off the alfelfa for a week or two. Replace it with the grass hay. Just long enough for them to aquire a taste for the grass hay. They won't starve. My dad always said "Leave them long enough and they will eat a peanut butter sandwich". It could be bitter grass hay or you have to MAKE them eat it.

I did think I was feeding too much when they started wasting so I did cut back..all last week and still wastage. It is so expensive..it does not feel good to have to throw any away, that is for sure. My little mare is 32" and is approx. 225 pounds and the gelding is 35" and approx. 350 pounds and neither are fat although both are sassy!lol. They could do with a little extra weight, I feel so hopefully the alfalfa cubes, orchard hay and omelene 200 help.

I agree with Barb. I was having this same problem. Its so expensive and to end up raking half of it back up to throw out was killer. I started cutting portions back and we have no waste now. Everyone is still fat and sassy. I do feed T&A.

Oops..just realized that you wrote "tast", not "test". I was wondering how one tests for bitterness!!lol. My mistake. sorry.

Ok..I have the alfalfa cubes- I have not fed these before. Do you feed by weight..the same as hay so one pound of cubes=one pound of hay?I have heard that you soak them first- how long and then do you drain off extra water or does it all blend together and get mushy?Thanls!

ps. how much to you feed your mini's?

Hi, Check out the articles on this web site. www.safergrass.org

It talks about not feeding your horse like a cow. Some interesting information. Unless you have a brood mare or a horse that is being worked or a growing baby, I personally would avoid alfalfa hay. I think a mixed grass hay is best for our short horses that tend to get chubby. You can supplement using a low carb dietary pellet for vitamins and minerals. I think the straight alfalfa can cause some insulin resistance and isn't recommended for cresty, cushings or overweight ponies and minis. If you have to feed some alfalfa you might want to get it tested, depending on what stage the alfalfa was in when it was cut and baled can greatly change the sugar and protein content. My guys weren't big on the timothy I bought last winter, just too tough to chew. I found a supplier for some very fine mixed grass hay and there isn't a blade left in the hayrack. I think straight alfalfa is hard on the old horses too I have read. My older boy tends to really pork up with even a little alfalfa in his feed so now I avoid it when I can. For more reading I also like the articles on Pete Ramey's website on natural horsemanship and his articles on "feeding the hoof", where he speaks of feeding grass hay free choice.

Anyway... my 2 cents worth. enjoy. I have only started reading both websites, but tons of information inside both.

Victory!!The Orchard hay was happily received this evening and every last strand gobbled up.
default_aktion033.gif
It must have been the stemmy Alfalfa and the Timothy cannot have been that palatable, I suppose. I have not tried the alfalfa cubes yet..they take ages to soak so have left them overnight and am still not exactly sure how much to feed. They are chunky!I just put in a scoop so about a pound each. I am going to get a scale tomorrow.

Thank you Shorthorsemom, for the article. I did read it and it was very informative. I have always felt persoanlly that a 100% alfalfa diet seemed "risky". I have had trainers who insisted on it in the past and other trainers who said just feed all Timothy or orchard mix. I do feeel my mini's do not need an all alfalfa diet. It would not be healthy!So..I am going to see how the alfalfa cubes go...just give them a few of those and mostly Orchard grass and some low carb. pellet once I have finished the Omelene. I am happy with Omelene..they love it but it is a sweetfeed. I heard that Strategy make a wonderful low carb pellet with beet pulp etc. so that might be next for them. I am going to get this mini diet thing worked out!!yay. I am just so happy the Orchard was all hoovered up. It was getting frustrating to se wastage and such nice hay too. Well..nice in my eyes..not theirs..the most important. Thanks again everyone.

Sorry its taken so long to answer.

I only feed 2/3 cup dry of pellets soaked twice a day to a mare the same size as yours. I would feed the same BY DRY WEIGHT of cubes in fact I am switching to cubes for the winter the more longstem roughage you can get in them the bettter.

I only feed a small amount of soaked alfalfa as it has been tested to help avoid ulcers, and it gives me something to mix the ground flaxseed and any vit/min or meds in.

Well, I was told at the feed store to give approx. 8 soaked alfalfa cubes per horse, per feeding. I did that (It looked like a lot) but I have read others on this forum do feed approx. 8 or 9 cubes. They get that in the morning plus a cup of Omelene 200 each at midday and share a flake of orchard together at night. No wastage anymore.yay! I am going to cut back on the Alfalfa cubes- maybe just soak 5 instead of 8. Do you soak the cubes overnight?They still seem hard after a few hours. I agree..the more long stemmed roughage, the better!
default_smile.png

Sorry its taken so long to answer.
I only feed 2/3 cup dry of pellets soaked twice a day to a mare the same size as yours. I would feed the same BY DRY WEIGHT of cubes in fact I am switching to cubes for the winter the more longstem roughage you can get in them the bettter.

I only feed a small amount of soaked alfalfa as it has been tested to help avoid ulcers, and it gives me something to mix the ground flaxseed and any vit/min or meds in.

Latest posts

Back