Hay Prices in Drought Stricken Areas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
Just curious what's happening in your area?

WITHIN TWO DAYS, a southern state's local farmers upcharged their small square price from $5 to $8 with the added insult of TAKING IT OFF THE FIELD YOURSELF.

I don't know if our area prices are very valid, but... I just bought another ton of small square bales of grass hay for $75 (the hay I bought in July was $60/ton, from the same seller). My husband thought it was outrageous, but he's used to putting up his own hay (round bales for cattle). There are very few people in this area that put up small squares as most people around here have cattle so put up round bales and if they have horses, they just feed them the round bales. I wanted small squares for the ease of feeding to my minis (I did feed a couple of round bales last winter and what a mess).

When we moved here a year ago (Notrh Texas), we were paying $3.50 a bale. We are now at $10.00, and the folks around here are predicting it will go to $15.00 by the middle of this winter. I just paid $8.30 a bale for a load that came from Kansas--I split 500 bales with 2 other farms. My son Chris brought home hay from his recent trip to Iowa--he paid $3.00 a bale. Too bad he could only bring home 70 bales!!!

We are up to $235/ton in some places in Colorado - this is approx 30-33 bales of hay - everyone says it will be going higher also. I hope not!!

I have 30 rounds in my barn that was a whopping $2,550.00. Of course I don't feed by the rounds as I just peel off what I need into my wagon, not to menton the alfalfa I also have in squares. We have 27 horses.

But hay has really gone up with the gas prices and no rain.

The place I buy hay from however has the most beautiful grass you ever did see with no weeds at all. Of course they are always watering and fertilizing it. He has about 2000 acres out there and has the best hay I have seen. He really takes pride in his hay. But ofcourse, I understand also that it cost money to water and fertilize it as thats not cheep to keep them water pumps running and the cost of fertilizer has gone up too!

Last year we paid only $35.00 per big round bale. But I am glad to pay the $85.00 per round, just to keep our horses happy! These bales that I now have in the barn will last me till may of next year.

You look at everyplace else around here and its all burned up but when you enter his gate, its one big green heaven.
default_smile.png
He has his sons and helpers to work the place and I mean they stay busy. Very nice people and down to earth type.
default_yes.gif
:

Here are some pics I took to day, waiting for one more bale to put on..and now I am done hauling for the year. :aktion033:

Now watch it rain and my pastures really green up!!
default_wacko.png
:

The truck next to me was loaded for a delivery heading to south Texas.

I would love to just run barefoot in that nice grass!! :lol:

Now whats that song...Green acreas is the place to be, Farm living is the life for me!! :lol:

Joyce

000_1557.jpg

000_1563.jpg

jasicshay013.jpg

jasicshay003.jpg

How would you guys like this? My sister who lives in Alaska says it's $750 a ton up there. She's happy she only has two horses.

The prospect of winter with no more hay growing is not good. We bought 200 square bales of first cutting this year - don't usually buy that early but I'm glad I have it. Paid $4 a bale in the field, and I haven't seen it for less than $5 or $6 since then, more like $8 - 10 at the feed stores. Round bales mostly advertised for $75 and up now, we found some big pretty bales for $65 and got a dozen but he sold all he had to sell in a day. Sure hope we have at least one more cutting this fall.

Jan

I bought my hay early this year and got it for $30 per round bale. I hear it is going for $70-$75 per bale now. I have heard $8-$10 per small square bale. We did get a little rain in the last week and things are greening up some, but certainly need more rain.

Last year I bought Canadian timothy in 110# bales from my dealer at $460 a ton :new_shocked: I'm waiting on this years to arrive and while awaiting the notice of THIS years price, I am stocking up on aspirin for the headache I will surely endure.
default_wacko.png
: I use a good amount of beet pulp to help offset some of the hay quantity needs. Even at the price, it works out to be less.

BUT, Canadians, I gotta tell ya, this is the most beautiful timothy I have ever seen!!!!!

I'm in an area with high humidity most of the growing/baling season. So, hay that needs to last is not often an option from local fields. Sad but true. About 3-4 hours North, in the mountains, it is good and cures very well but, if you don't have a tractor/trailer to load and haul, it isn't worth the trip. All day on the road, gas prices and coming home with 50-60 bales just doesn't cut it when you have 40 head.
default_wink.png
:

NY has had, in some areas, too much rain to cut and bale, so it appears that weather has hit us all a heavy blow this year. More than normal extremes across the country.

Latest posts

Back