Hay Pellets....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliesMom

Reaction score
Hey all....Ive searched endlessly lately for a place to buy hay pellets....Cant find 'em anywhere.....

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Most feed stores carry them. I suppose it is more difficult depending on where you live.

Just remember, if you decide to feed them make sure you soak them before feeding them. If you don't you run a risk of a horse choaking.
new_shocked.gif
I know some people don't soak them but after you've seen a horse choak you will never feed them dry again.
no.gif
My Arabian choaked on them so its not just a mini horse thing.
ohmy.gif

In the winter I would soak them in hot water and the horses got a nice warm mash.
yes.gif

Robin

All the feed stores in this area (Oklahoma) carry alfalfa pellets as far as I know.

I feed them to all of my breeding herd and have for many years. It's their main source of hay. I get them in 1/4 inch size and have never had the need to soak them.
smile.gif

I have found a bag of burmuda/Alfalfa pellets that are easier to chew up, and have smaller pieces in comparison, than the traditional brand, so once you locate them, you can hopefully compare size. There are also some that say Complete Horse Pellets: that contain corn,
new_shocked.gif
so check your ingredients to make sure you have got just processed hay.
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]All of our feed stores here have them too. Mostly alfalfa pellets.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I just started feeding them mixed with oats.

I dont soak mine, and I get mine at Fleet Farm.

Im trying to find regular hay pellets, not alfalpha. Unfortunately this is not so easy here where I Live. Does anyone know of an online store to buy them from???

IM not sure where you live but do you have any Fleet Farms around you? Or I think something like Farm and Tractor, or Tractor Supply its called down south? NOt sure but that is where I got mine. THey are grass hay pellets.

IM not sure where you live but do you have any Fleet Farms around you? Or I think something like Farm and Tractor, or Tractor Supply its called down south? NOt sure but that is where I got mine. THey are grass hay pellets.

Fleet Farm Does have Hay Cubes.They look like a small square hay bale,
laugh.gif
. If that is what you want?? but mostly around our area have hay pellets are alfalfa,,. I get mine at a regular pet store. And those Alfalfa Pellets are made in Iowa. But I do not feed these to minis , I never feed hay type pellets or cubes to minis...The Alfalfa pellets i do get go for feeding my steer~!!! Not minis
ohmy.gif

Ok,.... I tried to jump on the "all grass hay pellet" bandwagon a year ago...I finally did find a "all grass hay pellet", (tiny pellets)- that I was very enthusastic to try.. But unfortunatly my horses did not chime in when it came time to eat them. (they just ate the hay on the side.
sad.gif
Even my goat would not consider them
no.gif
So I am back at my 50/ 50 mix of processed burmuda/alfalfa pellets for later this winter. (Every body goes along with that one) And I allways feed some burmuda hay with them as sort of a salad to keep things moving along.
yes.gif

Margaret - did you try the Mountain Sunrise 100% pure timothy pellets? No sugar added (NSC level is 7.2%), no extra fillers - just pure timothy - they're wonderful! My guys just love them!!!

Liz R.

I wish I could get straight hay pellets locally, but we are so limited on horse products and so few people around feed their horses much of anything other than hay and oats that finding something is almost impossible.

The local feed store has 3 or 4 Nutrena products available (youth, senior and 1 or 2 others) plus their grain mixes (which I don't care for). They do carry a 5/8 or 3/4" "Packer pellet" hay plus grain (usually alfalfa plus grain by-products - not a great product if you ask me). I can special order beet pulp from them; their main store (located another 50 miles away) carries beet pulp, so I can get a bag or two sent over to the local store.

The elevator carries senior and COB (this senior is awesome).

And, that pretty much covers what I can get locally.
rolleyes.gif
wacko.gif

Liz,..I do remember those pellets I tried were timothy, and they do look the same-(little) I got a good sized bag for free to try.. And thought for sure every one would like them. I cant remember the brand I tried, but I checked out the site, and maybe your brand is an "improved" one. Or maybe my horses are just picky
laugh.gif
I will see if I can get a sample of them to try. Thanks
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back