Hay Choices

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performancemini

Reaction score
We have just found a new hay supplier. They are a private yet commercial supplier. Their hay is forage analysis tested. We have seen samples (from 2013 anyway) of some of their bales.

I just wondered how many of you felt about the different grasses. We generally don't feed straight alfalfa ourselves. Actually tend to a straight grass. Our horses are all geldings (except one retired performance mare) and are generally at rest or light work. This supplier has straight alfalfa, alfalfa/grass mix, brome grass and teff grass. I was especially wondering about brome and teff grasses?

In my opinion brome grass is the best hay there is. It is what my horses prefer, and I wish I could get a supply of straight brome. It's pretty hard to come by straight brome hay around here. Currently I am feeding a brome/alfalfa mix.

I've tried a different variety of brome--"smooth brome" which the guy advertises as a dust free variety. I have tried it two different times, and the horses did not like it either time. Some people must have horses that will eat it, because this guy sells a lot of it, but it sure isn't worth buying for mine.

Regular brome--as long as it was not over-fertilized so that it grew too fast & too tall/thick, because then the horses do not like it--is well worth buying. I would snap it up if I were you!

My geldings did excellent on Teff grass. I wish I could find some. Around here the teff grass is really fine and has what looks like a little bit of fine seed on the tops of the hay springs. Mine cleaned it all up and when I fed it I swear their weight was better and no pot bellies either.

th.jpg

This is what green teff grass looks like around here.

Ps Brome is a great choice too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be the odd man out. If you have access to the hay test results, I would urge you to use them! We feed local grass (or orchard grass) hay and have found that the test results vary wildly To us, because we show and have an insulin resistant mare and youngsters, the protein, sugar, and starch content are all very important. The hay we are currently feeding is grass hay. about 14% protein, and very low in starch and sugar, i.e. non-structural carbohydrates (NSC). Even if you don't have special needs horses, these are all pretty desirable. The fact that they love the hay is not the best criteria in my book - because wouldn't you really rather have cake and ice cream than a healthy low carb diet? We do add some soaked alfalfa cubes to their diets, partly for his help in preventing ulcers, because I don't really think I need to boost the protein any. They also get a 14% protein concentrate in different amounts. Oh, our previous grass hay (orchard grass) tested at about 9% protein. I think that might help explain why our horses all look fabulous right now..

It's true that it is good to consider the feed test results, but at the same time--I refuse to feed a hay that my horses do not want to eat just because I might like the test results better than those of a different grass hay that the horses DO prefer to eat. That is assuming there is a choice available. Mine will eat slough hay before they will touch smooth brome, and it's not that they are especially fond of slough hay!

Minimor makes a good point - you DO want the horses to eat the hay you buy for them!!! Ours will eat the healthy hay just fine and clean up every last little scrap (it is second and third cut and quite fine). BUT if offered something tastier (I think of it like dessert hay LOL!) they let us know they prefer that. We do have some untested hay that we feed for lunch and it is clear they really like that. If I mix it with the regular hay they go for that first but they still clean up everything.

I like to buy a couple of bales first and if they like it, I go back for my load. I once had a gorgeous load of grass hay delivered here and my horse wouldn't eat it. It smelled great. I couldn't figure it out but when the heifer I offered it to wouldn't eat it either, I sent it back.

I prefer very fine grass hay and what I am feeding right now, they are in good weight and eat every hair of hay. No waste.

I am going over to this new supplier and see if he has any of the same left over from last year that I can buy before he starts filling his barn again.

Sometimes they clean out and sell cheaper in the spring.

Latest posts

Back