Haven Hill HDT

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Pam

Reaction score
There could not have been a prettier fall weekend for 46 horses (OK, more if you count the pairs) and their enthusiastic drivers. Lots of newcomers and new horses, great organization, tons of fabulous volunteers, good food and a chance to do all of this with my daughter.

We had our horses with Bethany Franke for a month of conditioning so they would be ready for Spooker and fit for the 7.2 km marathon the following weekend. Sunny (SR Desert Sun) and Lance (Erica's Gimmie Another Glance) did great! We both had problems coming in on time though--we both had to walk the last 500m and even then I was 3 sec too fast (I HAVE to get better at working a stopwatch!!) I had been told by two different TD's that my mare Sunny was no longer "welcome" at Training level--she needed to move up to Prelim. Sadly, my brain is NOT ready for Prelim; I have a hard time remembering three gates!! So, Patty took Sunny Prelim and I took her best friend Lance for his first ADS outing.

Lance is National Champion Halter and Country Pleasure driving horse, but literally had a nervous breakdown after being professionally trained. Patty tearfully told me she would happily give back her ribbons to have her boy back. We found a wonderful person to work with him and get his confidence and trust back--I was so afraid he'd never drive again. No more check rein, no martingales. He still has a ways to go, but he has a future now. We has one big bobble in dressage--when I gave him a loose rein for the free walk he paniced at first, then settled down. He shied slightly at Cone 8 (next to the judges tent) and took down a ball, but was clean on the rest of the course. Then there was my 3 sec oops on Marathon. We finished 2nd at Training Level VSE--I couldn't be more proud of him!

Patty and Sunny were alone in Prelim VSE, but they did great. Patty wasn't happy with their dressage test--it's really hard to do smoothly in a 20m X 40m arena. They spent a lot of time argueing! Funny--one judge gave them a 52, the other one gave them a 71
default_new_shocked.gif
Reminded me a lot of the show last weekend--1st place and the gate. Sunny made it up to Pat in cones. I tell everyone who drives her NOT to try to steer her on course--aim her to the next set and she lines herself up. And DON"T look down as you go through! They were amazing to watch--clean course and fastest time of the day. They turned around on Sun and had a perfect go on the marathon course, including the water hazard.

So, here's a few pics. I bought a disc with both of us on it, but Patty's pictures won't come up, so they are sending another one.

edited to add: these pictures were done by Digital Express (Tim and Stacy Branam), my very favorite photographers. They have been at almost every Carriage event we've gone to down here, and you get a CD of all the pictures they took of you over the weeekend--80-100--for $50. They waive all copyright claims; you can reproduce or use them for websites and ads--all they want is for you to give them credit. They burn the CD for you at the end of the weekend--no waiting. Thank you guys--you rock!

HavenHill200804a13.jpg

HavenHill20080392.jpg

HavenHill2008027a.jpg

HavenHill2008020a.jpg

HavenHill2008037.jpg

I used my Houghton with the boot off and a combination of 2 Ozark harnesses for Dressage and Cones, and a Frontier Easy Entry with Chimicum's Sport Harness for Marathon

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw, Lance looks great! Sounds like a terrific weekend. There is an ADT at Happ's this weekend but I can't go...huge vet bills recently so no mud bogging for Ally and I. Bummer! Have you given prelim a try yourself? Ally and I did one the weekend of the DT-T at Happ's, and it was a stone cold BLAST! Yes, I eliminated on marathon, after being 3rd after dressage. But I must admit I didn't really care a lot, because quite honestly we had so much fun I could hardly stand it!

I really hope to take both Ally and Esprit to the CDEs next year. Esprit in training, and Ally at Prelim. It will be a lot of work with two, but I did trade in that brass harness for stainless! LOL

The weather sounds lovely, we have 9 active weather alerts for our area right now and are expecting near-record flooding through Thursday. *sigh* Wish we would have built up the driveway a bit when we had a chance. Oh well, break out the rowboats! We gonna get wet!

Might I, a newbie to Miniature Horses and a novice (on my own out here in the middle of nowhere, not from here!) at driving, ask what a HDT is? I know that CDE = Combined Driving Event, but I don't know what a Combined Driving Event is either. Oh, and, dressage in harness? Fantastic! Could any of you point me to your favorite informational online places? A place with detailed descriptions of these events would be fantastic! I am sorry to highjack your thread a bit but I am starving to learn.

You look great! One of these days I'm going to get around to trying that, it sounds like such a blast...

BTW, sorry I missed you at World, it was nice to find your note on my table, though.
default_smile.png

Might I, a newbie to Miniature Horses and a novice (on my own out here in the middle of nowhere, not from here!) at driving, ask what a HDT is? I know that CDE = Combined Driving Event, but I don't know what a Combined Driving Event is either. Oh, and, dressage in harness? Fantastic! Could any of you point me to your favorite informational online places? A place with detailed descriptions of these events would be fantastic! I am sorry to highjack your thread a bit but I am starving to learn.
HDT is Horse Driving Trial, like a CDE. If you do a search here of CDE you should get lots of info and Leia our resident CDE expert will chime in I'm sure she also has a site cde4vse.com it has lots of info on it too.

Pam it sounds like you had a blast, great pictures......Kathy

Wow! Dr. Pam, I can tell you were having a great time. Just look at your smiles in the photos!

I must have missed where this event was held. Where?

I'd really like to come and watch this event some day.

Would you VSE'ers please give about a two week notice when these events are coming up so we'll know if one is in the area?

Congratulations. It looks like so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgive me, what does VSE mean? I have been reading all of this great information (thank you, thank you Kathy2m) and I keep seeing VSE. I have yet find it typed out; Google was no help, a lot of links with VSE in relation to driving, but I could not find it typed out.
default_wacko.png

Annabellarose-

In England, they call what we call a CDE, an HDT; they are quite similar! There is also an ADT(Arena Driving Trial), which has the three elements--Driven Dressage, Cones, and the Hazards and/or Marathon course--all done within a 'limited and confined' area, as, an arena. For non-ADS sanctioned events, though, these definitions may be somewhat 'loosely' interpreted--i.e., the dressage and cones in the arena, the hazards and/or marathon on an 'outside' course, and the like.

In addition to Leia's site, cde4vse.com, take a look at the original VSE(Very Small Equine, the ADS designation for 'mini-sized' horses, essentially)website, put in place by Martha Duchnowski. of Virginia(W.Virginia?) at www.minihorsecde.com. Martha has YEARS of varied experience doing CDE w/ minis, including both singles and multiples(she also has driven drafts for a commercial carriage company, is a whip(driver) of deep experience!)

The ADS is 'the' governing body in the US for CDE/ADT/HDT type activities; if you are seriously interested, joining there would also be a great idea! The ADS (American Driving Society) rulebook is not accessible on their website unless you are a member; it is where you will find the applicable rules and requirements. There are also some very good whips/clinicians in parts of the country; taking a clinic w/ one of them (a good place to find a 'list' would be on the ADS judges/TD(technical delegate)s listing) would be an EXCELLENT idea, if you have the chance. Hardy Zantke, Jeff Morse, Muffy Seaton, Linda Fairbanks -two of these are East Coast, two are West Coast--are 'just' four of a goodly number who are ALL EXCELLENT clinicians;these four have been out here in 'my' part of the country; I've been privileged to attend clinics under three of these four, and hope to attend again, if/when they 'appear' again in my area!

There is also a 'new' type of competition being offered-- the "American Scurry Challenge". Scurry is a course of cones(pairs of cones set up as 'gates' to drive through, cleanly (w/o knocking any down, ideally--or 'jostling' the ball off the top of each cone, in most cases)--in this case, there is a SPECIFIED course, and a time factor--that is, to stay within set time parameters to complete the course, with a set 'box' to start and end inside of, AND a requirement that the horse must come to a full standing halt, 'settling' for a specified period of time AFTER a 'run' is completed...sounds like fun to me; our driving group is planning to give it a try!

Good luck; the 'wider world' of driving is SO very enjoyable!

Margo

Annabellarose you simply must learn all the TLA's.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_smile.png

VSE is Very Small Equine, the ADS name for MINIs.

Horse Driving Trial or DT is the same as a Combined Driving Event except with a shorter marathon and generally shorter time frame.

For those interested, the Haven Hill Driving Trial IV ( HHDT IV ) was held in Navasota, Tx this past weekend. Dr. Pam didn't mention that this was the largest number of VSE's (8) we have ever had. We even had a pair. Patty did prelim which meant that she did the water hazard and did it quite well.

We had a great time and the event turned out great.

BTW, TLA is Three Letter Acronym.
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

Great Pictures and it sounds like a great way to spend the day.

May I ask about Lance....how did things go so bad for him at the trainers...sounds horrific. Im not interrested in the trainers name but how long was he there and was the trainer just pushing him to fast or hard.Was he in a wreck. My heart just breaks thinking about it. I dont know Patty but she seems to be a great horse Mom. I hope she gets her little Lance back to the way she remembers him....sounds like it will work out.

Didnt mean to steal this post...sorry, Heidi

Thank you Margo! I've read the Brittish group talking about scurrys--they sound like a blast!

Haven Hill was held in Navasota, TX, and HACA (Houston Area Carriage Association) was the organizer--our very own Al_B was the head honcho, assisted by his sweet and lovely wife Susan. The best part was since they were organizers, we didn't have to compete against them
default_laugh.png
. If you go to the American Driving Society's website, click on Omnibus and it will give the list of events by month. We will have Sunrise Ridge and Plum Creek here in Texas next spring.

To add to the definition, a Very Small Equine (miniature horse, pony, donkey, mule, or even zebra I suppose) is 39" or under AT THE WITHERS. We are not required to carry a second person--a "groom" or "navigator" on the marathon course. All good and well for the mini, but those of us "Pooh Bears" of very small brains have to remember everything ourselves *sniff*. On the marathon course (ours was 7.2 km which equals about 4 miles) there are hazards--areas with obstacles set up in confusing maze like configurations with "gates" A, B, C, D, and E, that we have to go through in order, from the correct direction, and not breaking the line of any other gate. Training level we only do A,B, and C. There were 5 hazards for us.

I can't wait to show you Patty and Sunny's pictures. The water hazard was only supposed to be 6-8" deep, but we knew those were really big inches when the water was coming up over the Belgians knees. At the deepest part Sunny was in up to her belly, and she never faltered.

Yes, the weather was wonderful.

I had a great time. I couldn't believe my guy was able to complete the marathon. We were 3 minutes over, but we finished. I wondered why Patty kept walking - didn't realize she was ahead of time.

I think our dressage scores were possibly the worst in history
default_wink.png

We have no way to go but up.
default_yes.gif

We will be better prepared before Plum Creek next year.
default_xbud.gif

Just read Pam's post about the water hazard. Good thing the CDE isn't this weekend. We just got over 6 " of rain yesterday.

Pictures are wonderful, sounds like a great weekend! We toy with the idea of coming, but just haven't made the leap....LOL. I haven't had anything in the last couple of years to drive that wasn't very green either - more options next year.
default_wink.png
Haven Hill is such a gorgeous place, it's worth going just to watch for anyone who hasn't been.

Jan

lol Al, we really do seem to love Acronyms in carriage driving!!

"I took my VSE to a HDT last weekend. The TD asked if we were doing the ADT next week. I love CD!!!"

Vickie, there is not a cuter stud than your little manly man. He is such a gentleman! The mini that won was a 30" itty bitty--she calmly and steadily drove a nice dressage test, cleanly and carefully did the cones course--no speed or flash, and finished the marathon in the time window. Her mom has a tiny little cart, and had her well conditioned. She was the horse ahead of me on the marathon course, ans I thought for sure we'd have to pass her--nope! Rock steady! Way to go Bitsy!!

added: boy, I thought about that too as I was driving home Mon in a torrential downpour!!! Sunny would have had to have floaties on!

putting this on my first and last posts because I was remiss. edited to add: these pictures were done by Digital Express (Tim and Stacy Branam), my very favorite photographers. They have been at almost every Carriage event we've gone to down here, and you get a CD of all the pictures they took of you over the weeekend--80-100--for $50. They waive all copyright claims; you can reproduce or use them for websites and ads--all they want is for you to give them credit. They burn the CD for you at the end of the weekend--no waiting. Thank you guys--you rock!

Meant to add--LOVE the pics, Pam! How GREAT that you had such a good VSE turnout, and what is to all accounts such a lovely venue! I am JEALOUS!!
default_wink.png
Well, of the venue, anyway( you have running WATER????) LOL! Wish East Texas weren't so darn FAR away....

Pam, did you see the posts to see the Tandem Hill website about the Scurry challenge? It is reportedly NOT the same as the British Scurry...according to a longtime Brit driver and trainer on another forum, their scurry is done w/ pony PAIRs, and with a kind of specific type of vehicle, a 4 wheeler with an extra-wide wheel base for better stability...and they 'apparently' can and do go 'H*ll for breakfast'!! The kind being proposed in the "American Scurry Challenge" sounds like a LOT of fun to me, though--and suitable for single drivers, and horses of all sizes.

Congrats on such a promising turnout in VSE entries, Al(and Susan!) WAY TO GO!!!!

Margo

Thanks for the info Pam.

I have my photo disc on the way now and they sent me one via email so I could share a picture of my handsome little manly man.

DSC_1166.jpg

Vickie, Pam, your outfits look wonderful!! If I could get my own turnout looking anywhere near that polished I'd be very happy.
default_laugh.png

Dr. Pam said:
I had been told by two different TD's that my mare Sunny was no longer "welcome" at Training level--she needed to move up to Prelim. Sadly, my brain is NOT ready for Prelim; I have a hard time remembering three gates!! So, Patty took Sunny Prelim and I took her best friend Lance for his first ADS outing.
I think you found the best compromise by sending her up with another driver but remember that the TD's have NO right to tell you when to move up. None. Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch. That is not their job and not their call, and I learned that from Maureen Harkcom of Happ's, who would know. Don't let them pressure you if you aren't ready!
default_nono.gif
You move up when your horse is capable of good correct lengthenings and serpentines (bent and on the bit), your mind can handle the more complex tests and hazards, and the horse can give speed calmly and correctly in the hazards or cones. If you don't have the dressage down, don't move up! You need those foundations for a Preliminary level frame and performance.
default_yes.gif
A couple of consistent scores in the 40's at Training is also a good indicator you may be ready for the next level.

Dr. Pam said:
Lance is National Champion Halter and Country Pleasure driving horse, but literally had a nervous breakdown after being professionally trained. Patty tearfully told me she would happily give back her ribbons to have her boy back. We found a wonderful person to work with him and get his confidence and trust back--I was so afraid he'd never drive again. No more check rein, no martingales. He still has a ways to go, but he has a future now.
Oh Lord, poor baby!!
default_no.gif
Been there, done that, know how much it rips your heart out to see them that way. I'm so sorry.

Dr. Pam said:
Patty and Sunny were alone in Prelim VSE, but they did great. Patty wasn't happy with their dressage test--it's really hard to do smoothly in a 20m X 40m arena. They spent a lot of time argueing!
The bigger the horse, the harder it is to do in that small arena.
default_new_shocked.gif
She'll really have to be bending well and have consistent rhythm to make it look smooth.

Dr. Pam said:
edited to add: these pictures were done by Digital Express (Tim and Stacy Branam), my very favorite photographers. They have been at almost every Carriage event we've gone to down here, and you get a CD of all the pictures they took of you over the weeekend--80-100--for $50. They waive all copyright claims; you can reproduce or use them for websites and ads--all they want is for you to give them credit. They burn the CD for you at the end of the weekend--no waiting. Thank you guys--you rock!
You guys are so lucky.
default_wub.png
We've got one great photographer up here (Tim of "Action Taken") who will burn you a CD of everything for $60 or $75 dollars but he's only one guy and can't be everywhere. At Happ's you're out of luck because there's only one person and she only gets a few shots of each horse, period, and one individual digital image is $32. I love her as a person and she's a good photographer, but I do prefer more photos to choose from!
default_rolleyes.gif
The photographs at Ram Tap in California are even more expensive, like $200 for all your pictures (email size only, mind you) on a CD.
default_new_shocked.gif
What's up with that? They're not even big enough to print.
default_wacko.png
You've got a great deal there in Texas, be sure you keep showing the Branams the love!
default_aktion033.gif

ClickMini said:
There is an ADT at Happ's this weekend but I can't go...huge vet bills recently so no mud bogging for Ally and I. Bummer!
Amy, are you sure? It's only $40 and my offer to trailerpool and split gas is still open. I leave tomorrow around noon and would be happy to haul your girl down for you so you could meet us Saturday morning in your car.

Margo_C-T said:
Pam, did you see the posts to see the Tandem Hill website about the Scurry challenge? It is reportedly NOT the same as the British Scurry...according to a longtime Brit driver and trainer on another forum, their scurry is done w/ pony PAIRs, and with a kind of specific type of vehicle, a 4 wheeler with an extra-wide wheel base for better stability...and they 'apparently' can and do go 'H*ll for breakfast'!! The kind being proposed in the "American Scurry Challenge" sounds like a LOT of fun to me, though--and suitable for single drivers, and horses of all sizes.
I'm sorry, Robert lost me when he made it about "optimum time" and then again when he was so upardonably rude about it to some of the Brits on that forum. There was no excuse for such over-reaction! I agree, the point of scurry is SPEED. I'm not going to pay money to putz around a course of ten cones to test my pacing. That's what a 13km marathon is for.
default_wink.png

Great job to everyone at the Haven Hill DT including organizers Sue and Al, and I look forward to seeing the rest of the pictures. Bring 'em on!

Leia

OK. Shameless plug. New pictures of Sunny and Patty on the Photo Forum, including the water hazard!!

[SIZE=12pt]Wow, love your report.
default_laugh.png
[/SIZE]

sounds like Lance is starting to shine!
default_wub.png

love the pretty picture he makes in the cart.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back