Have you had a horse react to rabies shot?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since then we've used only the Prevenile in conjuction with the FD sleeping sickness/tetanus or the FD combo shot--the FD combo shot is still my favorite.
Unfortunately, Prevenile was taken off the market last year. It's my WN vaccine of choice, but still not available this year. :0( I don't like Ft Dodge vaccines for the reasons stated, so the Merial WN vaccine is my next choice. Thinking the combo vaccine would be the better way to go, that's what I ordered this year. But now, not so sure that's the best choice either.

He is sensitive to sedative when she did his teeth the next year he only took half the dose and was quite mellow. He is a good boy anyway but she don't do teeth without it,, I have since been using another person who does not use sedatives
I have one like that. The first time he had his teeth done, we were watching him rip around and act like a goof, so he was given a full-dose of sedative and it about put him to his knees and he was loopy for some time. The next time, we tried a half-dose and that still knocked him for a loop, so last time we did him without and he was a perfect gentleman. He goes to be gelded this spring, and I'm taking him to the clinic, and will be sure to tell that vet that he is sensitive to sedative.

Becky, I'd been wondering about that, if Prevenile is back on the market this year. I haven't called our vet clinic yet to find out what he's got on offer this year. That's too bad that they didn't get the product fixed up & back on the market yet--it was nice to be able to give just the one dose even to horses that haven't been vaccinated before.

I really hope it's the Fort Dodge combo shot that our clinic will have on a good sale this spring--I don't want to use the Merial again, but I like to get sale price; when you vaccinate as many as I do it makes a big difference in total cost.

Minimore, are you not allowed to buy your vaccines from the online vet catalogs?

Just wondering.

Charlotte

No, we have to buy from the vet clinic. We are not able to import vaccines from the US. I figure that we are fortunate to have this one clinic that offers a good sale one one vaccine or another every spring--some years it has cost me just half of what some of the other clinics are charging for the same product.

Over the past many years I have had BAD SERIOUS reactions using FT DODGE vaccines especially RABIES.Several years ago I switched to Intervet and had no ractions.Last year due to the recallof West Nile vaccine by Intervet I used Vetera West Nile NO BAD REACTIONS I did use EQUIRAB RABIES vaccine and had no bad reactions.I think it is made by Intervet.More costly than Ft Dodge but I don't have to watch my horses suffer.IMO opinion vets use FT DODGE because they have done it for so long and I'm sure FT DODGE has very good reps and promotions.I use no more Ft.Dodge products-we do our own shots here and space them out so we know what causes bad reactions.I am not a big fan of overload of meds on such a small body-Minis get the same dose as a big horse.

just wanted to say..

I've never had reactions to the Rabis shot, but I did have an Mor-ab mare that almost died from the Rhino shot!

So I never got it again for her (in fact I don't do any of my horses with it!) but I sold her and told the people that bought her to be SURE they didn't give it to her.. .and then they went ahead and had the vet do all her shots that next spring and she died the next day
default_sad.png

**oh and thought I'd better add..

How she acted after the shot was, she would get very shaky and act crazy , running and rolling and trying to get out of the stall/fence.. it was horrible to see
default_sad.png
Both times the vets that seen her said she was acting like she had RABIS.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I never got it again for her (in fact I don't do any of my horses with it!) but I sold her and told the people that bought her to be SURE they didn't give it to her.. .and then they went ahead and had the vet do all her shots that next spring and she died the next day
default_sad.png

**oh and thought I'd better add..

How she acted after the shot was, she would get very shaky and act crazy , running and rolling and trying to get out of the stall/fence.. it was horrible to see
default_sad.png
Both times the vets that seen her said she was acting like she had RABIS.

Nicole, That is so sad!!! I can't beleive they would still give her the shot knowing she had a terrible reaction.

I give most of my vaccines myself, but in WV a vet must give rabies shots. I didn't question the brand she used but from now on I will. The only other problem I've had is a bred mare that had a red bag the day I gave her a 5way shot with Intervet Prestige V. The foal was all twisted and we couldn't get it out. The vet was able to save the mare.

I know horses need vaccinations and its in their best interest, but I truely hate giving them
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back