Have you Been to Vegas?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basketmiss

Reaction score
Ok i am going to Vegas and one of the girls says we should stay at New York, New YorK..

Our convention is at MGM- rooms are more there so we want to stay elsewhere.

Are there any other hotels close to MGM- but not as much as New York ?

I keep telling these girls we wont be in our room much as we will be at our convention, so why spend so much on the room. I guess I'm not as picky as some peole. I want it clean and all but see no need to spend so much on a room I'm barely gonna be in, just to sleep and shower?

Thanks-I've never been to Vegas...

Last edited by a moderator:
You can stay at the Excalibur that is near the airport and across the street from the MGM and NY NY. It is pretty reasonable compared to the other hotels as it is older but still clean and nice large rooms.

If I am remembering right you just go out of the hotel and over a bridge straight ahead to get to NY NY and over to the right to get to MGM.

I am not 100 percent positive though my daughter lives there near the strip let me ask her and double check I am remembering right

Yep I was right the Excalibur is just on the other side of Tropicana I think is the street a less then 5 minute walk to the other hotels you mentioned.

Just got back, stayed at the Palazzo, they were not rooms, they were suites. I just got an email for $109 per night. Had two queen size beds, three flat screen TVs, sunken living room....quite the spot.

The Bellagio is supposedly THE best, but after seeing the suites at the Palazzo and Venetian, I would recommend either one. The Venetian has a little river running through it with gondolas that you take a ride on. $16 per person. Still a nice little vacation perk, and they sing to you while they take you on your ride.

Sorry should have put this in all one post or looked up all my info before posting
default_rolleyes.gif
had to look up how much I paid.

The rooms were running about 50-75 a night not to long ago

Thanks- if I can only convince this one girl of it I would love to stay at one of these, at a cheaper price...

Have you tried checking prices on the discount travel companies on line? Something like Travelocity? They always have discounts advertised.

Tropicana usually is very reasonable...and right across the street (with a walkway over the road) that goes to MGM...Excalibur is very accessible as well. You could try going to www.lasvegas.com or www.swavacations.com. Every time we've gone to Vegas, those 2 websites have given us the best prices
default_smile.png

Tracy

We stayed at the Belagio (I don't think I'm spelling it right), I don't think it's far from MGM. The room was a king and was very nice and about $80 night but that was with a govt. discount.

I stayed at the Sahara about 2-3 years ago. An older hotel, but nice. Its actually on the other side of town. But before about 10am, the driving isn't bad. So we walked the first part of town one day. Then drove and parked at another hotel and ventured out to see the rest of the town. No matter where you stay, lots of walking. Watch out for the cab drivers!!! They are nuts!!!
default_wacko.png

Tropicana, MGM, NYNY, and Excalibur are all interconnected by pedestrian bridges. The general rule in Vegas is--the older the hotel, the cheaper it is. Tropicana and Excalibur are older but still well-maintained and in a good location. You could also consider Bally's. It's not technically next to MGM, but it's the stop right before MGM on the monorail (which used to be free but apparently will run you $5 now). I'm willing to bet the cheapest price you'll find on the strip will be at the Imperial Palace--in which case you'd be better to go with one of the previously mentioned options (it's a bit of a walk from MGM and it's not particularly well-kept).

PS Have you checked with the convention people to see if they've secured special rates at any of the hotels?

Tropicana, MGM, NYNY, and Excalibur are all interconnected by pedestrian bridges. The general rule in Vegas is--the older the hotel, the cheaper it is. Tropicana and Excalibur are older but still well-maintained and in a good location. You could also consider Bally's. It's not technically next to MGM, but it's the stop right before MGM on the monorail (which used to be free but apparently will run you $5 now). I'm willing to bet the cheapest price you'll find on the strip will be at the Imperial Palace--in which case you'd be better to go with one of the previously mentioned options (it's a bit of a walk from MGM and it's not particularly well-kept).
PS Have you checked with the convention people to see if they've secured special rates at any of the hotels?

They have a block of rooms reserved at MGM but they are really expensive so we want to stay close but not there..

Thanks Mona so much for these maps.. They really help. My friend said there wasnt anywhere else to stay -ha, except new York, New York, I really knew she was full of it and just wants s to stay there.

When we went a couple years ago, we stayed at the Monte Carlo, which I think is right beside New York, New York, and pretty much across from the MGM. There is an awesome rollercoaster ride to go on at the top of NY NY!! I don't remember what we paid for our rooms, but the hotel was nice. For as much as they make, almost all those places on the strip charge for internet service!
default_new_shocked.gif
We had to pay $10/day, and our daughter and son-in-law just came back a couple weeks ago, and they were charged $15/day at the Luxor! CRAZY that you can get it foor free at little motels all over, yet those big places have to nickel and dime their guests!

Also, if you are planning on "doing the strip", make sure you buy daily bus passes on the "Deuce". It is up to $7 for an all day pass now, but well worth it. You can get on and off as many times and in as many places along the strip as you want for a full day, and believe me, you will welcome not having to walk!

We were just in Vegas at the end of August this year. I love it! Anyway, we did stay at the MGM and it was wonderful, make sure you check out the lions
default_wink.png
I'm not sure if you plan on doing any gambling but if you get a players card for the hotel and money you gamble with makes you comp points that you can apply to the hotel charges. We were there for a week and had already paid for the room in a package so we charged all our meals to our room and we did not have to pay a cent at the end of the week. We ate for free for the week, breakfast and supper, and at some great places!

The Tropicana, Excalibur and New York, New York are all just across the bridge from the MGM. But as someone else said most are on the monorail line and it hardly takes anytime to go between hotels. Just to mention tho walking from the MGM to the Bellagio is only about a 20-25min walk. Check out the fountain show at the Bellagio! For something spectacular and to have the best steak ever made eat at the Top of The World restaurant in the Stratosphere. Nothing beats it! Revolving restaurant, seeing the lights of Vegas at night. Just to warn you tho, it is quite expensive. But you can just go to the top and go to the observation deck. Breathtaking at night. I'll see if I can post some pics after I transfer some to photobucket

Monte Carlo is gorgeous. When I stayed there a few years ago it was pretty cheap (Probably worked out to $70-$80/night).

Check it out.

default_laugh.png
We stayed at the same hotel!

When we went a couple years ago, we stayed at the Monte Carlo, which I think is right beside New York, New York, and pretty much across from the MGM. There is an awesome rollercoaster ride to go on at the top of NY NY!! I don't remember what we paid for our rooms, but the hotel was nice. For as much as they make, almost all those places on the strip charge for internet service!
default_new_shocked.gif
We had to pay $10/day, and our daughter and son-in-law just came back a couple weeks ago, and they were charged $15/day at the Luxor! CRAZY that you can get it foor free at little motels all over, yet those big places have to nickel and dime their guests!
Also, if you are planning on "doing the strip", make sure you buy daily bus passes on the "Deuce". It is up to $7 for an all day pass now, but well worth it. You can get on and off as many times and in as many places along the strip as you want for a full day, and believe me, you will welcome not having to walk!

On my boss' recommendation we stayed at the Wynn. It was fabulous. Quiet, classy, understated but with the Vegas glam factor. The Wynn is also right across the street from some primo shopping! Not the cheapest place on the strip but awesome bang for your buck. The Wynn is also a great viewpoint where you can look out over the edge of the strip into the desert, and it's SO cool to see how Vegas just... stops.... and the empty desert begins.

See the dancing fountains at the Bellagio! And make sure to see a show or five. They're great.

Because we were on the strip, we toured all the other hotels (ride the little train!), and have to say the Tropicana, New York, Adventure Island and a few others were pretty tacky and had an "old" feel to them Probably great fun for folks really looking for the full Vegas flair, or GREAT for families with kids. So if you're looking for the full velvet-elvis-vegas experience, check those out.

I actually do NOT recommend the Stratosphere. We went and were terribly disappointed. It was such a let down. Avoid if you are prone (in the slightest) to motion sickness. Neither David or I get motion sick but the very slight motion of the building turning is really disconcerting, but that would have been ignorable if the rest of the experience hadn't been so craptacular. The food was barely edible, the service was nearly as bad, and the price was jaw-dropping. Just go for the view at dusk.

It's a bit of a hike outside Vegas, but go see the Hoover dam! :D

And be sure to take in the incredible "Light Show" on freemont St!! (old Las Vegas area, all under cover!! Wild images all along the ceiling of these "streets of cover)

Latest posts

Back