Has anyone's dog ever eaten dry beet pulp pellets?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mininik

Reaction score
Early this morning my boyfriend's Boxer, Jake, ate about a pound of my old mare's dry beet pulp pellets, prompting an emergency visit to the vet. Prior to calling the vet I unsuccessfully tried to induce vomiting in him with about 3oz. of hydrogen peroxide when I noticed he wasn't feeling well (heaving, looked cramped and a bit bloaty about an hour after eating kibble - and then I noticed the nearly empty bucket). About 40 minutes later the vet was trying to induce vomiting and we got nothing but drool, so he gave him another shot about 40 minutes after that to stop the heaving, and a substance to help with his digestion. This morning Jake is not showing much improvement, looking crampy and drooling. The vet said he wasn't too worried about bloat, but that I shouldn't give Jake breakfast (which he normally doesn't get anyway). He's drinking, peeing and did have a normal bowel movement, I'm just worried and was hoping someone would have some experience to share.

I don't have experience to share, but just wanted to say that I hope Jake is ok. Good to keep an eye on him and be alert for any signs of distress. Poor baby! Keep us posted please.

For safety's sake I'd give simethecone (Phazyme).

Cut or bite about 6 gel caps and push down his throat and repeat about 4 hrs later and then again 4 hours after that.

As the body doesn't absorbs simethecone there's no worry of overdosing.

As for beef pulp alot of the lower quality kibbles out there have beet pulp in them to promote firm stools.
default_rolleyes.gif

Reread your post.

The drooling and cramping does worry me.

Sounds like it could be 1st stage of bloat.

The BM is good tho.

What's his gum color like?

Last edited by a moderator:
My dogs have never ate that much, but they do clean up and help the horses eat and have never had an issue with it.

My dogs love beet pulp pellets and if I don't keep them stored in a container with a nice tight lid they are always chomping them (not my idea of good dog food:wacko ) Not once have they had a problem because of the beet pulp. A couple of times they ate enough to (like your guy sounds) be stuffed and it took awhile to get back to normal. Maybe not as long as your boxer but a few hours. Hopefully he will pass them all soon. I wonder if the treatment has delayed his feeling better, maybe the meds to make him vomit are still making hm feel off. Just a thought.

Thanks for your replies. I know they put beet pulp in some dog foods, but dogs normally don't eat a pound of it dry on top of their kibble ration. It's not so much what he ate that is concerning me, it's how much he ate and how it may react in his gut.

His stool has beet pulp in it. He's also got a bit of gas every now and then.

He's drinking more water than usual. I imagine he needs to as the beet pulp will be absorbing everything he's got inside, and the stuff should be easier to pass when wet.

His gum color is normal.

I can't read the writing that says what the vet is having me give him every four hours. I'm going to give him a call to find out and to see what he thinks about the situation and will also ask him about giving Phazyme.

Well he is a Boxer so being he ate it im not really suprised, My boxer eats everything she can get her mouth on. I had to pry a bouncy ball out of her mouth the other day...........dont know whos worse her for finding things or the kids for leaveing things around!

That said, sure hope he comes out ok!

I hope he will be okay. I know boxers are prone to bloat, but would think that he's gone to the bathroom is a sign that didn't happen or at least not initially.

Back from the vet. Jake's still there knocked out with an IV, getting his stomach pumped, though the vets aren't completely optimistic that they'll be able to remove the beet pulp mush. I'm to call them in another hour for an update, though it may take longer for me to get back here with one. If they can't pump him out they'll have to open him up. They took an x-ray and Jake's stomach is HUGELY DISTENDED, from his spine all the way down to his belly and out, filled with expanding beet pulp. All that water he was drinking was because it's sucking him dry from the inside out, but when he drinks the water just expands the beet pulp further. I never thought he'd eat it dry, especially after he ate his kibble for the night. None of the dogs have shown any interest in the stuff unless it was mushed up. I'm just lucky he didn't eat more and that I took him back when I did. I'm very concerned about his stomach rupturing...

Just called the vet. The beet pulp (an incredible amount they said) was removed via surgery and they are putting him back together now.

Oh my goodness!! Poor baby Jake. I'm so glad you caught it and rushed him on over when things did'nt seem quite right. Good fast acting. I hope he comes out of surgery well and he's back to normal again very soon.

Sorry he had to have surgery, BUT I am so glad you realized he needed help in time!
default_smile.png

Wow! mininik - thanks for posting this, my 2 pups are always trying to get into the beet pulp - I have never even thought that it might be dangerous for them to eat.

I so appreciate you posting this, I will be so much more careful of even just setting a pail of it down where they could get at it.

I hope Jake will be feeling much better and soon be back to normal.

The things you never think of!!! Whodathunk!
default_wacko.png
Poor guy, well wishes for Jake
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back