Has anyone ever tried or had to

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
This is an Adult, drug w/ mental issues stemming from yrs. of addiction. Revolving rehab doors, denial and is now a danger to herself and others. Knows how to play the system very well. NO ONE WILL LISTEN or BELIEVE WHAT WE SAY IS THE TRUTH. Quickly running out of funds and may have to ask state to step in and help. If anyone has had any experience in this could you please, please email me. My sisters and I would be extremely grateful for any help or advice

Thank you,

heidi

Heidi - in Florida you can "Baker Act" someone if you feel they are a harm to themselves or others. You would probably have to enlist law enforcement to do this. They will be admitted to a mental facility for 72 hours for observation. There is also the "Meyers Act" where a person can be admitted due to abuse of alcohol or drugs.

Maybe you could contact your local hospital and they could guide you. Sorry you are going through this. This time of year is tough on people!

Tam

We had a problem with my sis-in -law. She wasn't my sis-in-law at the time. She was Ill. My brother wanted to call Law enforcement but said he couldn't do it. My mom said she couldn't do it. I said give me the phone. Two officers came out and talked to her. because she was conscious, they could not "Make" her go in. So, the next day she kept insisting she wanted to go buy a truck and my brother made a deal with her that if she went and talked to "these people" he would take her to buy a truck. He took her to the ER. They talked to her for 10 min and put a 72 hour hold on her and transfered her to the mental health hospital. This was in November a few years ago. She was there until mid January. They had given a diagnoses and started meds that fit her. After she got out she and my brother got Married. Oh I might add that they knew each other since the 3rd grade. They were in their mid 30's when they got married.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the information you all sent. Thank you.

Katiean, I am so happy you were able to get you new sister in law the help she needed. It must have been scary for all of you. Unfortunatly we can not make any more deals ( we were advised ) with her...we have made many in the past and they have always back fired. She blacks out and can be very violent but they will not take away her license....luckily I have her car here in Fl. so unless she takes, steals or borrows someone elses car she will not be driving...we hope. We can only pray she will not be able to get behind any wheel. Good luck to your brother and sister inlaw

Thank you again

heidi

I don't have any help to offer you but I do want to send a ((((((HUG))))))) I can't imagine having to deal with an issue like this. I really hope you get things worked out.

Not a happy position to be in - I can't advise you, but certainly wish you well.

Jan

At the moment this is my living h e l l. Our problem is not getting her into a mental health/detox place. She keeps checking herself in. She is currently in for the 8th time this year. Our problem is she is released in a week with no improvement. This time we are refusing to let her come home. We are done living her crazy life. Currently she is off of narcotics (22days) but still is dealing with her mental issues.

I am finding there is very little help out there. We are told there is but when we search for it we cannot not find it. Either they make too much money (less then a $1000. for a family of four) or with the drug mental combo places will not take her. The waiting lists are long for any type of sober house. Woman's shelters will not take her due to the drug issue. Her family will not let her stay with them. She refuses to talk to a social worker.

This is a horrible time of the year to have to deal with this but as of tomorrow she will be homeless. I have never had to turn my back on a person before but we can only do so much. We still have no idea what is going to happen. We are praying that she will finally get the help she needs

I wish you the best Heidi. There is nothing you can do to help her if she will not accept the help other then to go to court and declare her incompetent. If you have not gone to NARAnon meetings I suggest you go. They have helped my son.

Jan and Dana, thank you for your support. We are digging deep to find answers and help and hopefully she will get it with time.

Susan, I noticed you were from Ma. that is were she is now. Its been difficult doing some of this from Fla. My other 2 sister are in Ma. too and are also tring to do what they can but they both have young children at home and are busy w/their own families. Would you mind if I emailed you and asked you a couple ???'s about a couple facilities I found. If you'd prefer to wait until after the holidays I would totally understand, Thanks again Heidi

Please let me know if I can help. We had to have our oldest son committed as a young adult due to a drug problem. It is tricky and I do believe the laws are different in every state. If you find a mental health center in your area, call them. They can talk you through it. Good Luck, and you will be in my prayers.

Latest posts

Back