Just wanted to share my trip back to Oregon

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
I just got back a few days ago from my trip back to Oregon to see friends and family...had a really good time (for the most part). My mom, who is not in good health (had open heart surgery and broke her hip 4 yrs ago along with having insulin dependent diabetes, arthritis, congestive heart failure, etc, etc) had been feeling very weak and "cold" for a few weeks, so my dad finally took her to the ER one day before my trip. They immediately admitted her with severe anemia and gave her 2 blood transfusions. They figures she had a "bleed" somewhere and my mom admitted that she had bloody diarrhea recently. The next day, she had 2 more transfusions and they scheduled a colonoscopy. However, my mom is on blood thinners for her heart valve, so they had to wait while they took her off them. Then, the anethesiologist decided he could not "clear" her for the procedure, because she had an irregular heartbeat...and sent her to the cardiac floor in the hospital. She was admitted on Thursday and had the colonoscopy on Sunday.

In the meantime, I arrive in Portland late Monday night and get settled in at my friend Teresa's house. I go visit my mom in the hospital on Tuesday and she is in good spirits even tho she just wants to go home. She is adamant that she was going to still have the graduation party at her house that Saturday! At the time, they had not had a chance to look over lab reports, but did find that she had a bleeding ulcer, so would treat that. My dad says "At least there is no cancer" (I hadn't even considered that possibility, so it kind of shocked me when he said it...and remember this is before lab reports were back).

I am concerned about my mom, but also continue with my visit...going out to dinner with my friends and my daughter. Also, had plans to go to the coast on Friday for Teresa's wedding and come back on Saturday for the party. My mom was sure she'd be out of the hospital by Thursday. After the procedure they had to put her back on the blood thinners, so had to wait til that was back to the level she needed for her heart.

Thursday evening comes and I get a phone call...lab results are back...colon cancer!! I am in shock and freaked out by this news!! My parents are in "denial" and are still planning the freaking party!! I am also questioning whether I go to the beach or not...My mom tells me to go; that there is nothing I can do here.

So, Friday morning I leave for the beach after having coffee with my sister (I feel really bad, because not only is this whole thing going on with our mom, but she is having a really tough time right now in her marriage, which I find out is becoming even violent! That is a whole LONG story in itself! I really need to be a support system for her, but it is hard from 3000 miles away!).

I do manage to have a good time at the beach...spent 5 hours out on it with the wedding and then the "reception". It was good to see Teresa so happy. I've known her for 8 years and she has been thru a lot...she really deserves this happiness in her life and was glad I was able to be a part of her special day!

Saturday morning I get a call saying my mom was finally being discharged from the hospital and the party was still on!! So, I leave the coast and head to their house to help out. Most of the work is done by my dad and my brother and SIL also came early to help out, so my mom was not doing any work.

Had a really good time...lots of laughter and chatting...I really think my mom NEEDED this party for herself, even tho it was for my daughter.

Sunday comes and time for Taylor's graduation. Over 5000 graduates from Portland State University and it is held at the Rose Garden! So proud of her and was glad she decided to "walk" her graduation and that I was able to see it!

Monday I go visit with my parents one more time. My mom tells me she starts chemo later in the week and also radiation. In 6 months, they will re-test. She seems to be "adjusting" to her new life as a now cancer patient (along with being a heart patient, etc).

My son Scott picks me up and we go to dinner before my flight home to Florida.

So, like I said...had a really good visit...for the most part...but it also was stressful and included some not anticipated events. I was glad that I was able to be in Portland when it all came about, tho...If timing was a factor I couldn't have asked for better!

Please keep my mom in your thoughts and prayers as she fights her newest battle...I'd love for her to say in 6 months that she is cancer-free and a survivor!

Here are a few pics from my trip...(Teresa and Rose, my mom and me with my kids)... thanks for letting me share!!

025.JPG

045.JPG

060.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I am so sorry that all of this is going on back home, but so glad that you were able to be there and not 3000 miles away when all of this was happening. I will be praying for your mom and your sister and for you. I know it will be hard to be back home and so far away from everyone and still trying to be the support they need. Hang in there!

And the pictures are great! Your Mom sounds a lot like my Mom. She wouldn't have let a thing like cancer stop her from throwing a party, either!

Hugs,

Barbara

You definately have my prayers for your mom and family!

All your family and friends look very happy! I LOVE the beach! What a treat to actually get married on it!! I bet it was a nice time!

What did you end up giving your daughter for a graduation gift? Jewelry?

What did you end up giving your daughter for a graduation gift? Jewelry?
Yes, I bought her a very nice locket...she liked it!
default_yes.gif

Linda, your pictures are beautiful and your family is in my thoughts and prayers. HUGS!

Linda, you look so nice & proud with your very good looking kids! I'm glad you got to go!

And it's neat that you got to be there for your friend's wedding. What pretty flowers!

OMG what a nasty shock about your mom. I'm so glad she went to the Dr and found out so she can be treated. I'll be sending prayers!!!

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Linda, it doesn't seem fair that your mom has heart problems and now colon cancer. I would be so upset being so far away. But you were there for an important event, and I know your mom will always remember and treasure your visit. I sincerely hope she can beat this and you can have her around for many more years.

Linda, it doesn't seem fair that your mom has heart problems and now colon cancer. I would be so upset being so far away. But you were there for an important event, and I know your mom will always remember and treasure your visit. I sincerely hope she can beat this and you can have her around for many more years.
Thank you!

Glad you were able to make the trip. It is a milestone for anyone to graduate and I am sure your daughter really appreciated your being able to be there for her. And to make time for your friends wedding too. Sorry your mom was in the hospital. Will keep her in thoughts and prayers.

I am so sorry that your Mom has another health burden. I hope she makes it thought with flying colors!!!!

Thanks everyone for their thoughts about my mom! Truly appreciated! She is doing OK...will be starting chemo and radiation soon. Because of her weight and heart, she is not a surgery candidate, so praying that the drugs do the trick!

Latest posts

Back