Has anyone been fired because there boss suspects a eating disorder??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckymeacres

Reaction score
Today was called in the office at the end of the day. I have lost 195 pounds since May 2007, I worked hard didn't use any pills just will power and now my boss says I cannot come back to workout with a release from a psychologist. Because she thinks I need to gain weight, she is using the excuse I'm breaking the violence policy against myself.

So now I'm jobless, and have to have high medical bills to get my job back, and all along I thought I lived in a free country. But I guess not.

Just wondered if anyone else has heard of this.

Sorry i'm not any help,just wanted to tell you I hope things get better for you
default_saludando.gif

I'm sorry, that is just the stupidest thing I've ever heard...and it's the first time I've ever heard of anyone getting fired for that sort of reason. It couldn't happen in my job--it would be totally against our rights and a grievance would be filed by our union...and without a doubt the employee would win and get their job back.

I hope that you can turn this into something positive by finding a better job with a better boss!

Call an attorney that specializes in employment issues.

They cannot tell you you need to see a psychologist unless you seem to be endangering those at work. If you have been doing your job regardless of any mental or physical problems, if you do not seem to be endangering other employees they have no right to discriminate against you. I do not believe they have the right to even ask you how or why you are losing weight. As in are you sick or dieting? None of their business.

If they have mentioned to any of the other employees why they are not letting you work, well that is another whole ball of worms. I would call an attorney and just ask them what they think.

It depends on the state labor laws. In North Carolina you can be terminated for any or no reason. It is a "right to work" state.

That being said. One visit to a pychologist is not going to cost that much. Unless there is really an issue one visit should be all it takes. ( cant come back unless you have a note from a Dr is not getting fired it is giving you a choice)

It really sounds to me like you boss is concerned for your health

I shouldn't have to make the choice, I have done my job everyday and not caused anyone any trouble, except her worrying about me. I think she has the problem. I just thought we lived in a free country and I just take this very personal.

Once you start going to these doctors, you have a record and they get you hooked on a bunch a drugs to make you keep coming back.

So without a job, to pay any amount of money just because somebody is worried about you for nothing is crazy.

This sounds like discrimination to me. Even if you do have an eating disorder, as long as you are doing your job I don't think they can do that, it would be discrimination. Have you filed for unemployment? A lawyer is going to be pricey, if you call your local unemployment office they may be able to tell you your rights. This just doesn't sound right.

Call a lawyer, unless you are hiding something, this is pretty cut and dried in any state.

Yes it isnt right. but personally if it was me, I would just go to the doc and do as asked. They dont cost that much for one visit and they are going to get you hooked on a bunch of drugs. There job is not to make you a drug addict and they dont do that.

If I needed the job I would just suck it up, get the release from the psychologist (which no, their purpose isn't to try to get you addicted to drugs, and if you present to them as healthy that might actually be to your advantage in filing a discrimination suit) and then keep documentation of this incident and do a little research to see if you have a case, while still earning a paycheck in the meantime.

I just know that I couldn't do without my job, so though I would find this strange and would investigate my options, I wouldn't go without work.

That is crazy and to discrimination. Call fora free consult with a attorney or contact your state representative. That is not right. I was dogged on because I have migraines real bad and they tried to fire but I had a FMLA put into place so they could not take my job. I did my research and knew more about FMLAS then they did and really irked them about that. So 3 yrs later I hung up my stethescope and it was the best thing I ever did. My migraines decreased and I am so much happier. Don't get me wrong it was hard making a adjustment from a two paycheck household to one but we did it.

I would really call and check this out. Being a obese person I know what ya mean about losing weight and I finally went and had the lapband done. KUDOS to you for having the will power to do it. WAY TO GO GIRL

Latest posts

Back