Has any one used domperdone?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2t99

Reaction score
I have a mare that foaled this morning sometime, she has a very small bag, she had a bigger bag last week and showed no signs of foaling last night. She is a QH, maiden and only 2, she was given a shot last year to absorb the breeding along with 3 other mares, the others are all open and by the time we realized she did not it was to late!! So anyways I gave her a shot of oxytocin but I had also heard to give domperdone to bring in milk. We went to vet to get domperdone and the tech said since the foal was already born the domperdone was not worth giving!! I am curious what everyone else has experienced.

The foal has gotten colustrum and did finally get up and nurse on his own and mare is doing "ok" with him but she is clueless on what is going on!

Thanks for any input

I used domperidone last year on a couple of mares because of the lovely fescue down here.

It will bring in the mare's milk even after she has foaled and I believe I used it for a couple days after she foaled.

I would recommend having domperidone on hand if you continue to breed while living down here.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does work!

Marnie has a fairly recent thread and she gave it to her mare and it brought in her milk.

I've given it for a few days to Maddie who had milk but wanted to be sure she had enough.

Congratulations on your foal and I hope everything is going perfect soon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back