Harness Question!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie Iceton

Reaction score
Ok I am looking at a synthetic harness for my driving gelding to start CDE next year woohoo! And I have found two I really like, one is from The Carriage House down in florida and the other is the synthetic from Camptown, I know the Carriage House one is betathane but I dont know about the Camptown and I have seen the Carriage House one and it was really nice. Both offer the V brest collar which I would get, but any thoughts? I just want a comparison.

I have personal experience with both and much prefer the Camptown harness because its sealed leather lining is MUCH softer against the horse's skin and the tree of the saddle is better designed. Both harnesses are betathane.

Here's a picture of Kody in the Deep V collar from the Carriage House:

DeepV02.jpg

Camptown's basic contoured collar has literally the exact same outline, I have laid them side by side and on top of each other. Their "Freedom Collar" is closer to the Zilco Empathy collar with more of an upside down W shape than a V. Here is Kody in that one:

WinterDrive001.jpg

Obviously that's not the best picture I have of him in the FC, but those two are the best shots for direct comparison.

Leia

I am also just getting started in CDE and have a million questions. How tall is your gelding? The harnesses I am seeing at the CDE clinics have cute teardrops on the browbands do you know where they are getting those?? Where all can you buy CDE harnesses for minis at?? Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Gina

I'm sure Leia will answer all your questions and brilliantly too! I just wanted to jump in quick and share a few photos, to help, and also to give my vote for the Camptown Harness!! I LOVE mine!! Onto the photos now...

My mare is 35 inches tall, just to give you an idea....

cammyside2.jpg

This is another up close of the Freedom Collar...

freedomecollar.jpg

saddleclearance.jpg

This photo shows how the ear piece cups around the ear... I love this part!

earpiece-1.jpg

bridle.jpg

And one of us driving!

cammytrotting-1.jpg

cammycollected.jpg

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the response! I am definetly sold on the camptown harness with freedom collar and will be buying one in december to hopefully get free shipping!!! I am so excited and cant wait!

Thanks Mindy the pictures are awesome!! What kind of cart is that?? Do you use that for CDE?? Where do you go to get a harness like yours?? I truly know for little about CDE at this point!!

Gina

All I can say is: "I want one, I want one!" meaning of course the harness...does anyway ever part with them, i.e. are they ever available used? I'm going shopping right now and am interested in a harness such as that as Christmas present for Carl and SHadow..course Shammy wouldn't mind one either. :bgrin

I figure if I add the great harness pads they have, the shaft protectors and the Myler comfort copper mouth saffle Shammy wants, well maybe I'll just forget a new computer and forget the Winter trip to Florida, than maybe...total extravagance for no other reason but my horses comfort.

Maxine

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for all the help!!! I will go check out that link to those carts. I would love to find someone who wanted to sell a used CDE harness either of the brands would be great!! Does anyone know of any??

Gina

Here's another vote for the Camptown harness with the Freedom Collar! Chili and I LOOOOVE it ;)

Jessi

mgranch said:
I am also just getting started in CDE and have a million questions. How tall is your gelding? The harnesses I am seeing at the CDE clinics have cute teardrops on the browbands do you know where they are getting those?? Where all can you buy CDE harnesses for minis at?? Thanks for any help you can give me!!
Gina
Mindy's right that I'm happy to answer any questions you have...if only I'd seen the post!
default_wacko.png
: :eek: Sorry. Kody is 33.5" and pretty refined in his build, not that you can tell under that fur suit. I also want a harness with a teardrop someday but so far the ones I've seen available are either not flattering or not sized right in my opinion. There are a couple of good ones out there but of course they seem to go with the really expensive leather harnesses!
default_rolleyes.gif
: I'm getting ready to leave for the airport this morning so instead of answering your questions individually for now I'm going to direct you to a couple of helpful websites.

http://www.minihorsecde.com/ is absolutely the best informative site for the beginner. It's how I got started in the sport and has only gotten better since then. You can get good answers to all your basic questions there.

I started my own website called CDE4VSE.com last year because there was not one single site that helped new people find good harnesses and carts for this sport. So frustrating! So if you go to the links page on that site you will find every appropriate harness and cart manufacturer I've ever found, all listed and sorted by type and category. I really am working on updating the site, it's just been a busy show season. For more pictures of the Camptown harness you can do a search on here for topics by me and you'll find 2007 pictures of Kody running around in his. The older posts from last year and before show my Ozark Mtn Carriage harness which I still love and in fact I still use that bridle with the Camptown harness.

Marsha Cassada said:
No thoughts on those two harness brands, but I have to comment on that adorable picture of Kody, Leia! Such a face!
Hehehe. I do love him in his winter woolies. Those little stubby bear ears! So cute.

Leia

Thank You so much I will go do the research you have sent me!! I so appreciate you're taking the time to help me out!! I have just purchased a 33.5" gelding for CDE because my other driving mini is only 30" and I think that is just too small. Your Kody is so cute I hope my new guy turns out to be half the horse yours is!!

Thanks for everything

Gina

Latest posts

Back