Halters on or off at night(in the barn)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
same goes here, My halters are only for leading or working the horse . I never have a halter on a horse if I am not on the other end of the lead rope.

Hi,

I will NEVER leave halter on the any horses...

The horses love to rub on things and they will get caught in no matter what it is..

it can be the fence or t-post or trees...

If I leave a halter on one of my miniature in the pasture or stall..

I will panic and WORRY what if will happened and etc..

My past horse (big) HATE to be tied up and she is the one that teach me to not leave a halter on the horse, because she will PANIC if she get anything caught in her halter.

I am begging to EVERYONE to leave the halter off the horse.

Also if we drove by someone's pasture that has halter on.. My heart will BEAT so hard and worried.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey here is another halter question I d like some views on. When I trailer a horse or 2 , I have in the past put them in untied , no halters no partitions just loose , and I have never had a problem. My new trailer has a slant load 2 partitions, is it safe for me to put the horse in the partition without a halter and rope tied to the wall of the trailer, or do I need to tie the horse in the trailer to keep her from trying to jump over the partition and hurting herself? whats best for the safety of the horse?

I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond.
default_smile.png

Felt i should update, i discussed with my mother the responses and we both concluded we will leave them off, she had always been a touch concerned due to the fact their nylon halters vs the leather ones she always used with the full size horses but we kept an eye, however as said nowhere is a 100% safe, my mother puts it as a horse is an accident waiting to happen
default_biggrin.png

I think our filly was a touch confused why i didn't put hers on this morning but she'll be fine, honestly she is the one who concerns me most, i will describe her as 'spirited' and certainly into everything & anything.
default_rolleyes.gif
so it probably best she is halter less.

I actually enjoyed not having to fiddle with the halters, my poor frozen fingers don't work so well during these cold days
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me about it!! But I am working on an answer to all that, and will keep you apprised!!

Krissy, I always travel my horses tied up, never loose, even if there is only one.

I do not think it would be safe to travel them loose as they would try to turn round in an area too small to be safe.

Thinking Small, your mother has it absolutely right. ALL horses are potential walking disaster areas!!!

Anything that can happen, will happen, all you have to do is wait long enough!

For those talking about or worrying about barn fires or floods or other things that can happen I will say it is a concern. I have had a horse in flood who literally swam over the top of his 6 ft corral. That farm lost 2 horses- the horses were then running looose on the street until they could be caught.

Having evacuated more horses from wildfires then I care to count I can also say finding a halter and getting it on can take precious time. Especially if you were like me going to a property that was not your own cause you were one who made it past the firefighters barricade. Something that does happen often in So Cal. And you are searching for halters and leads in a smoke filled strange barn. Please please please always leave halters and leads near the stall doors so that if in a emergency your horses need to be moved out quickly by you or someone else they can easily find them.

Hey here is another halter question I d like some views on. When I trailer a horse or 2 , I have in the past put them in untied , no halters no partitions just loose , and I have never had a problem. My new trailer has a slant load 2 partitions, is it safe for me to put the horse in the partition without a halter and rope tied to the wall of the trailer, or do I need to tie the horse in the trailer to keep her from trying to jump over the partition and hurting herself? whats best for the safety of the horse?

I have a stock trailer - so my horses ride untied and I prefer it that way, I think it just has to be easier traveling on the horse. But if I had a slant load I'd tie.

halters off, knew somebody whose horse broke her neck getting her halter caught when in the field.

On the trailering, I was always concerned that if there were a trailer accident, much easier to deal with horses wearing halters, but only my opinion, never had this happen or anything.

My horses have halters off unless I am working with them or they are being trailered. They are never turned out with halters and are not left in their stalls with halters on. I always keep a few halters hung on the fence so they are in a spot easy to grab incase I need them. And when the horses are in, their halters and leads are right on their stall doors. I've had 1 horse get his halter ring stuck on the stall door latch and the only thing that saved him from not breaking his neck was that it was a leather halter and snapped. And I had my mare get her halter hung on a pin in the roundpen(she is a chronic one for putting her head through the fence) and again, the only thing that saved her was it was a leather halter that snapped. Ever since, my horses only wear halters when I am working them, working with them or trailering. It's much easier to grab horses out to pasture with halters on, but all mine are easy to catch, so it's not a big deal they dont have halters on.

~Jen~

I also keep a halter and lead up in my garage, along with a spare pail with some pebbles. If the horses get out, I can quickly grab that and head out instead of going all the way to the barn.

Thanks for the oppinions on trailering...will halter and tie them in the trailer in their slant load compartment.
default_smile.png

I have always had halters off when not leading or grooming. Always use leather or break away halters it is not uncommon for horses to get in bad situations and the halter breaks instead of their neck

Same goes for in the trailer. I never trailer with out some kind or leather on the halter. They break and save the horse's from injury.

With the minis in the trailer tied keeps them organized and safe. I have found that my big horses use the dividers and chest bar to keep balance..so I am defiantly going to customize the trailer for the minis.

Anyone know of a good way to have a big horse trailer turn into a little horse trailer?

Latest posts

Back