Halter showing question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheyAut

Reaction score
When my colt was just a few days old he got a "melting corneal ucler." My vet and I were sure we'd have to have the eye removed (vet said it could burst or something like that) but we opted to try treating it... my vet was very surprised at how well it healed
default_smile.png
As expected, it did leave a scar. He still has vision in his eye!
default_smile.png
Anyhow, will this very visible scar prevent him from showing in halter classes in AMHA and AMHR? If the answer is yes, what about other classes (like obstacle and driving when he's older?). What about color classes? Showmanship?

Here's a pic that shows his eye

sharpielockecloser10-31-10.jpg

And just because his other eye is so beautiful...
default_smile.png

sharpie1310-24-10.jpg

No, it won't prevent him from being shown. You might have a judge question it just out of curiosity.

Great! Someone (I can't even recall who, it wasn't here) said they thought it would, glad it won't
default_smile.png

AMHR has a rule that goes into effect that if your horse has an eye injury, you just have to get a vet note to go with you for the summer shows stating it was an injury and not a disease.

I don't know about AMHA.

He's very pretty
default_smile.png

I was a spectator at an AMHA show, there was a filly in halter with a huge scar, probably 6 - 8 inches, on her hip. She placed first.

I think the vet letter is a great idea, just in case.

AMHR has a rule that goes into effect that if your horse has an eye injury, you just have to get a vet note to go with you for the summer shows stating it was an injury and not a disease.

I don't know about AMHA.
Sort of off topic... When I was in college, I worked for an Arabian Horse Ranch, one of the show geldings ran through a wire fence and looked like he'd been whipped (he has slash marks all-over his chest and front legs). He was a performance gelding, so they carried a vet statement showing it was a fence injury and that he was being treated. He still managed to do decently that summer.

We will be showing a gorgeous filly this summer that has a corneal scar which is quite visible AND she also has scars on her chest which are quite visible. (For more than a year her barn name was Death Wish)

This is Redrock Make No Mistake by an AMHA & PtHA World Top Ten Stallion and out of an AMHA World Top Ten mare.

MakeNoMistake6-10.jpg

She will show in Senior Mare 28" and Under and we have high hopes for her despite her blemishes. We will have to see how the judges interpret rule: Page 87, CL-005, A 1.......Non-disfiguring blemishes not associated with unsoundness, or injuries which are temporary, should not be penalized unless they impair the general appearance and/or action of the horse.

Wish us luck!

Chey Aut, I am going to bet that your colt's eye blemish does not effect his show ring success. If he is fit and groomed to perfection I bet it won't even be very noticible.

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone! A vet note is a great idea, I will ask my vet to write one up for me
default_smile.png
I plan to show him at our AMHA show in March
default_smile.png

That is great news Jess and I think it's a great idea to have a vet note and just keep it in your pocket?! LOL Glad he can still be shown!! Hopefully I will see you there with Spot!

My Sunny got his last two Hall of Fame points, and he has a wicked scar running across his back. He snagged himself on the cattle panel fence when he rolled. If you could have seen the pic you'd be amazed how well it did heal. It ran from a point on his rump next to his tail, across his rump, over his back and down his flank. Pretty deep- I cried hysterically when I saw it. Now, you can only see it when he's clipped out.

Im so glad u posted this topic. I have a aspc/amhr stallion we are bringing out next year and I almost lost him last year over Christmas. Her coliced and caused ulcers in both eyes and what a mess that was! He also ended up with a scar on 1 eye but we are hoping the judges will overlook it. I feel more hopeful now.
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif

When my colt was just a few days old he got a "melting corneal ucler." My vet and I were sure we'd have to have the eye removed (vet said it could burst or something like that) but we opted to try treating it... my vet was very surprised at how well it healed
default_smile.png
As expected, it did leave a scar. He still has vision in his eye!
default_smile.png
Anyhow, will this very visible scar prevent him from showing in halter classes in AMHA and AMHR? If the answer is yes, what about other classes (like obstacle and driving when he's older?). What about color classes? Showmanship?

Here's a pic that shows his eye

sharpielockecloser10-31-10.jpg

And just because his other eye is so beautiful...
default_smile.png

sharpie1310-24-10.jpg
This is the information that I got in the AMHR/ASPC email newsletter today - cut and pasted a follows>>>

Section X, Part 10, Paragraph L -

"add as last line to paragraph: Complete or partial loss of sign in either eye will not be a disqualification if the loss of sight results from traumatic injury. A licensed veterinarian must verify the etiology of the sight loss as traumatic and such copy must accompany the horse's papers." Also be amended in the Classic, Modern and ASPR divisions and be extraordinary for 2011.

Latest posts

Back