Halter help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljc

Reaction score
I have been struggling to find just the perfect leather barn halter for my minis. I come from the hunter/jumper world where all our horse use leather halters, which I prefer. I don't want a halter with an adjustable noseband (hate those) and I don't like thin leather halters.

I get my "big horse" halters from quillen leatherworks in KY. Beautiful halters. Their miniature halters, however, have adjustable nosebands. I was wondering if either the weanling or yearling size might fit a mini? I have one who is 32 inches, another who is 36 inches.

Any experience in using either of those sizes for minis? Or any other suggestions for leather halters?

Thanks.

We buy Suckling size (full size horse) leather halters for our 31.5" mini gelding

And Weanling size (full size horse) for our larger minis 33"

They fit fine but I think they are adjustable nose band

I recommend you measure around the nose and over the poll

and if you have a local tack shop take your measuring tape

there to measure what they have . thats what we originally did

for leather halters. Ask if they will let you return if you leave tags on

and keep it clean if it doesn't fit as you like.

At least that way you can see what your buying

Last edited by a moderator:
Arion Mgmt has leather halters for sale here http://www.doubledestiny.com/Arion%20Available%20Horses.htm at the bottom of the page.

This is excactly who I was going to say about leather halters. I had one made for my King Supreme Son Little Kings Sentra Supreme and I LOVE IT!!! I get so many comments about it at the shows and even use it in Liberty class as its really easy to slip on and off. PERFECT FIT! And it even has his name on it!

The quality is awesome!

Mini Express carries very nice leather halters. They do have an adjustable noseband, but I would bet they could have one made for you without if you send them measurements. Nice quality leather, reasonably priced. I had a boarder who is a H/J person, it is all she would use.
default_smile.png

Jan

I get my "big horse" halters from [sic] quillen leatherworks in KY. Beautiful halters. Their miniature halters, however, have adjustable nosebands.
If you are referring to the Quillin (Google Quilllin Leather & Tack) in Kentucky that I am familiar with, they custom make leather halters. As a matter of fact, I think that is the largest part of their business. If you want a Miniature Horse size leather halter without an adjustable noseband, you got it! A quote from their website:

We're Kentucky's largest custom halter shop...17,000 halters will be produced in our Paris, KY workroom, this year.

Annabellrose, I have a thousand relatives in Paris Kentucky and some in the thoroughbred business there. Betcha you met some of them already buying halters

Annabellrose, I have a thousand relatives in Paris Kentucky and some in the thoroughbred business there. Betcha you met some of them already buying halters
Actually, I have never been to Paris, Kentucky or Quillin Leather & Tack. I am familiar with their quality products as I have seen them in use at shows and such and I am familiar with their website. I am not from Kentucky and I do not do much traveling in Kentucky; I rarely venture far from the I-75 corridor!

Last edited by a moderator:
Schnieders has a great leather grooming halter that I use for everyday stall use....The noseband is not adjustable, but it has clips everywhere for grooming purposes and is adjustable. I have one on my 30" and one on my 34"...

Well, Quillins has a very pretty weanling leather halter for $19.00!!!

It does adjust on the nose, but underneath, not on the nose itself.

Looks pretty, think I shall get one....OH, GREAT more money spent, thanks a bundle, there.....
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back