hair styles of your minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby dazzler

Reaction score
Hi

Just wondering why some horses manes seem to automatically hang on one side - and others have a "part" so to speak right down the middle, so the mane hangs both sides. Bobby's mane has always been just all on one side- I havent done anything to it - it has always fallen that way, so looks very neat. However, Tilly -who is only approx 1 now - has this little short mane that has always fallen over both sides and looks very "messy" - do I need to do something to get it to go to the one side - or it is just like just- i.e, you either have curly or straight hair, thick or fine? Cheers, Kerrie

i call the ones that fall on both sides a double mane. they are usually very thick. you can use gel or braids to get it to fall on one side. and or thinning the mane will help too. but if they arent showing it really doesnt matter
default_smile.png

Last edited:
Another reason manes may lay on both sides, even if they are not thick, is if they were not "trained" to lay to one side. I prefer they lay to the right.

mane tamers and sleezys work well to make the mane all fall on the side you want. last winter i put one on my arab to keep him warmer and i forgot to adjust his mane underneath it- oops! his normally tamed mane was every which way- so if hers is a mess i would try one of those maybe? as long as you have it all laying on the side you want before you leave it. good luck...

and let me know if i totally lost you.

She is also still fairly young. I find that the yearlings and even some early 2 year olds have harder to manage hair texture and length. Start taming it now with braids, bands or a slinky and as she gets older it should become easier to manage. I reccomend braiding the mane in "chunky" braids using ribbon and not elastics (to minimize hair damage). re-braid at least once a week. You will notice what seems like a lot of hair loss, but thats just because the hair that would normally fall out and be lost is now trapped in the braid. Use a good equine leave in conditioner and maybe a good hair growth suppliment or spray.

Back