Hackamore vs Bosal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misty'smom

Reaction score
Misty turned 2 last spring.....I have been working with her on various skills, lunging, walking over the jumps that are set low, and leading with the halter. She does well with the halter but I wanted to get her used to a bridle over the winter months, hoping to get a saddle on her in the spring. I want to begin with a bit-less bridle given her age so I was looking at hackamores and bosals. What do you all think works better for training and control later on?? I have toddler age grandchildren and would like to be able to get her saddle/halter broke before they are too big to ride her. I've looked at them on Ozark but does anyone have any suggestions on where to purchase one? I would like a good quality one but without spending a fortune. Any advice or experiences i would love to hear!!

Oh no.......no suggestions or advice?? I was hoping someone has had some experiences with either the hackamore or basal. I remember when I was growing up my Uncle(horse trainer) used them both on the big guys. But don't know if anyone has used them on the minis or if it is OK????

I have always liked riding and training a "hackamore horse"...that is with a bosal.

I think it would be cute on a mini except that most small child riders will have no idea how to use one correctly. A bosal isn't meant to have both reins pulled at once, not is it meant for a rider to hang on by...not that a child should hang on by the reins ever, but some do.

Unless the child is having proper instruction on riding, I wouldn't recommend a bosal. Even though I don't think too highly of bitless bridles or side pulls, I think either would be preferable for a child rider, just because either is more straightforward to use

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back