Guppies!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
I had almost forgotten how nice it is to have indoor fish to observe. We went out today and I fell in love with these Tequila Sunrise guppies. I got one male and a couple of regular fancy gals for him. One has a yellow leopard tail and one has a blue tail. I'm hoping to have fry soon.

(Jill, you'd like these little fish!)

Here's some pics I took this afternoon. The Tequila Sunrise boy is a little show off.

IMG_6110.jpg

IMG_6118.jpg

IMG_6121.jpg

Guppies are my very favorite!

When I was a kid, my friends and I all raised guppies in grade school and we used to trade our offspring for breeding.

I love all the colors they come in and fin shapes; I particularly like the snakeskin ones with the iridescent patterns...

Enjoy!

Andrea

Dunk! They are awesome! I thought about getting some since my betta Bermuda died. But what do you do with the babies???? They make so many.

Hey Kimmie, usually if you keep them in the same tank the parents keep the population boom down themselves, but other than that, that's when you have one or two more aqariums and raise them. You can always sell them to the pet stores or to friends, family etc....
default_biggrin.png

Awww....I'm sorry about Bermuda! I looked at the male Bettas at Pet Smart yesterday and boy were they tempting...they're so beautiful! I had one years ago...he was a stark blue and maroon red.

Thanks Dunk,,,

Before Bermuda we had Cletus, Darnell and Fluffy. One betta at a time. Wanted to try the guppies, but thinking of Mom and Dad crunching their babies for snakes wouldn't be too fun.

Dunk, can you keep more than one male in a tank together??? They aren't that aggressive are they????

For some reason I have never had very good luck with guppies..... I love the fancy ones they have now with all the colors.

I have had Betas (one at a time of course) in my community tanks and they do wonderfully- but - dont put them in with guppies. They will go after the males because of the big tails etc.... they have- I guess they think it's another Beta?

Lovely pics- I just love them- they are so pretty.

Our neighbor gave us a "few" of them when I was little. The next morning they had tripled !! My mom freaked out and flushed them down the toilet.

At the Pet Smart where I got them at they had all males in one tank and what they thought were all females in another tank. The gal that waited on me was asking me questions on my tank etc.... I gathered she was trying to get somewhere with her questions so I told her I've had tanks before in the past and this was a new one I was setting up. As I looked for the females, she pointed out a couple of pretty fancy "females"...I told her those were males....and in a whispered voice she asked me how I knew....lol...so I gave her some pointers on how to tell male from female livebearers. She was thankful. If I had not known my fish, I would have ended up with a tank full of male guppies and no females.
default_wacko.png
Anyway....the tank that had all males in them seemed to be peaceful enough. I do know that when you have less fish tho, in your own tank, the males can get aggressive and start nipping fins and bullying...so you want to make sure you have plenty of females to go around. They tend to establish a pecking order, and altho it's not the norm for guppies to be aggressive, there can be those individuals that like to bully and push the less assertive ones around.

Latest posts

Back