Gullet strap

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many people, such as Gerard Paagman of Ideal Harness and the House of Friesians, feel that the gullet strap does nothing more than provide a false sense of security, and looking at the physics, I can see why. The gullet strap only keeps the crown from slipping over the ears in specific cases -- it all depends upon how the bridle is being pulled, as the gullet strap pulls the throatlatch forward, but not down. Unless the throatlatch is rather tight (not good for driving), a gullet strap won't stop the horse from rubbing a bridle off.

They would have little to no purpose in the show ring, where, ironically, tight sidechecks and overchecks probably do a better job of keeping a bridle from coming off over the ears.

I keep a halter on for trail driving, unless we have a very secure staging area. There are some nice, lightweight betathane halters available through Camptown and many other harness makers.

Sorry, I am band new to this and researching my first harness purchase....what is the purpose of the gullet strap?

Many people, such as Gerard Paagman of Ideal Harness and the House of Friesians, feel that the gullet strap does nothing more than provide a false sense of security, and looking at the physics, I can see why. The gullet strap only keeps the crown from slipping over the ears in specific cases -- it all depends upon how the bridle is being pulled, as the gullet strap pulls the throatlatch forward, but not down. Unless the throatlatch is rather tight (not good for driving), a gullet strap won't stop the horse from rubbing a bridle off.

They would have little to no purpose in the show ring, where, ironically, tight sidechecks and overchecks probably do a better job of keeping a bridle from coming off over the ears.

I keep a halter on for trail driving, unless we have a very secure staging area. There are some nice, lightweight betathane halters available through Camptown and many other harness makers.
I'm always looking at halters and plan to check out the betathane. I dislike ones with the adjustment buckle, and the barn halters with the buckle on the side are not reliable; I have a hrose now that, between pawing and fidgeting, has pulled the brass buckle open.

Supposedly it will stop the bridle from being rubbed off accidentally - that is what I was told. There are some good comments here. I think the bottom line is to try and mitigate risk. If the gullet strap works for your bridle I don't see why you wouldn't use it. But accident avoidance and good planning is the best line of defense...good points everyone! I'm new to this driving thing so keep the info coming
default_smile.png

I'm glad I read through the whole thread before asking what, exactly, a gullet strap is meant to do.

After reading different replies, I think I will continue to do what I already do on my "headshakers" (I have had one driving bridle literally shaken off - the throatlatch was snug and it had a real cavesson that was also pretty tight. Never expected it to come off). If I find that i have a head shaker (have one now again - trying different bits as vet says her teeth/mouth are fine), I leave one of my collars on the pony (that they all have on out in the pastures) and tie the crown to it. At a Draft Horse function or parade, I can use a black zip tie or dog collar or even the shoe laces (that I now carry in my tool box) and attach the crown to the collar. For trail driving or training at home, I use the ubiquitous haystring!

I also use bailing twine. I made a 4-strand round braid with loops on either end so it can either stay on the bridle when I unbuckle caveson and throat (which I rebuckle just to keep it from getting lost) or can simply be slid back on. So far I have lost about 4 of them (which is why I now rebuckle) but since they cost nothing, and only take about 15 minutes to make, I don't care. I did get a dog collar to make a dressier gullet strap for competition, but since I like to toss the guys in the trailer and take to the trails - and I tend to lose them when coming home, I decided the bailing twine ones were all I could be trusted with for casual.
default_no.gif
I do a lot of braiding myself. I have no problems doing the fist loop when starting a braid. Can you tell me how you get your 2nd loop at the end? Currently I've done one (with a 4 strand braid) and I basically brought the end around to make a loop, used a needle to draw the individual 4 strands back thru the braid, then braided over the braid until I was ready to stop and then refed the ends thru the braid to hold and cut... Not as nice as I would like it to look, but it was haystring, so...

I'm also braiding in paracord now and actually knowing how to do a 2nd loop would be nice! If you need to PM me, do or you can send to my email - [email protected].

As to halters under the bridles - most of my harness is work style and have no cavesson and only the 1/2 nose attached at the bit buckle. A light weight mini halter does fit under my bridles and i currently have a bunch of those (just bought a boxfull in a lot from someone going out of business). BUT as they wear out, I replace them with no hardware, tied halters - which fit AWESOME under the driving bridles. You do need to use one of the off brand ones that are much lighter, less stiff or make one out of paracord (I also braid out of haystring - 4 and 6 strand - then tie my own halters). You do have to check - some of the tied halters have too much space and can get caught - on the shafts, on the neckyoke when driving a pair or on brush and trees while trail driving.

A halter tied out of unbraided paracord is too thin for regular tie-ing (imo) - but works for under a bridle during functions and parades. Can add a little bit of "bling" or "dress" - but at home or in/at the trailer, I want a little more substance to keep from cutting into the poll if one does pull back.

Here is one of my foal halters made from unbraided paracord. The foal does not get tied in these halters.

12mar30cla337.jpg

And here is a CA tied halter. I watch carefully, as sometimes that knot on the side of the nose is too big. I make sure the bridle cheekstraps are slightly looser so that there isn't any pressure applied to the knot. I also adjust the halter up/down so that the knot is clear of the noseband. I haven't had any problems with this arrangement - but a friend of mine used a different halter w/ stiffer rope and larger knots. I don't think the headstall was loosened at all, but not sure. The knots lierally made "holes" in the side of her mare's head during a two hour trail drive that she then had to treat (both sides)... She no longer uses tied halters under the bridles but has had issues with the nylon ones under them too (she uses the heavier duty halters that are thick...
default_whistling.gif
. So pro and con either way...).

12sep3ig589H.jpg

and here is one of my own tied halters under a bridle. I don't have just a head shot that I can find. And yes, most of the harness is braided out of haystring as well. I know that the breast collare was sitting too high (had accidentally brought the wrong one with me that day & since 20 miles from home and only driving in an arena on the flat, wasn't too worried about it) and that the surcingle used as a "saddle" wasn't appropriate... used that day and sometimes at home for training. Not generally used for longer drives...

10aug15bi16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a harness shop here in Alberta that carries thin "under-bridle" driving halters for mini's. I picked one up last fall but haven't had the chance to try it driving yet. Will try to snap a pic of it tomorrow.

That would be handy....I've only come across ones in the UK. Thanks
default_smile.png

There's a harness shop here in Alberta that carries thin "under-bridle" driving halters for mini's. I picked one up last fall but haven't had the chance to try it driving yet. Will try to snap a pic of it tomorrow.

I've read before on here that the safest way to keep the bridle from coming off while driving is to braid the forelock into the headstall. At a show a few years ago, while in the lineup, the judge saw my bridle hanging over one ear and replaced it. I had not noticed it--eeek. He was wearing overcheck, caveson, and gullet strap. None of that would have kept the bridle from falling off if he had been rubbing or shaking his head.

At least two parades I know of there was a driving wreck when the bridle came off the horse and there was no way to control it.

I've never done braided the forelock into the headstall; I guess I am among those who think a catastrophe won't ever happen to me. I need to rethink this.

If the forelock is long enough, you can get away without braiding by just wrapping it around the throatlatch between the buckle & keeper....once you put the tail end of the strap through the keeper, it holds everything together....and keeps the forelock out of the horse's eye. Although, it may not be enough to stop a determined head-rubber.... ;-)

The only time I have had a bridle come off was with my Morgan gelding--it was the first time I used that particular bridle ( and the last time)--the bridle just fit over the crown abd the browband was too short, but I thought it would be okay for a short test drive. I had an overcheck on, fairly long, fortunately! We hadn't gone far when thr bridle just popped off over one ear, then the other--the over check (fastened to the driving bit, not a check bit) kept the bridle from falling off completely. I got a new bridle which fit him properly and had no further problem. That bridle fit fine on a smaller headed horse. I don't think a side check would keep a bridle on quite so well, and in any case I often drive with no check.

When I am starting my youngsters I use an open bridle, which consists of a strap over the crown--no brow, no cavesson, no throat latch. I have no concerns about it coming off.

Last edited by a moderator:
paintponylvr, I was wondering about something similar to your collar...my idea is a throatlatch strap that would connect to the bridle at the crown, then go directly under the throatlatch instead of connecting at the cheek and running through the end of the browband or connected by a concho. My thought is that this would leave less wiggle room for the whole shebang to slip over the ears. I'll have to give this a try tomorrow if the weather is as nice as they've promised.

Sorry! I did read through the whole thread that was available... It didn't post for a while. Maybe because my first one or two posts, or my bizarre mobile device.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my repeat question. :)

Don't worry Whirled, No one is offended at all (at least I doubt they are) even if you didn't read the previous answers first most of us have been guilty on occasion of 'coming late to the party' and asking questions that were already covered. Easily done on threads that get this long.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back