Gullet strap

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had Dapper Dan out in the cart today and tried using a gullet strap. I ended up using a zip tie. It was easy to snip off when we came back. I always carry a tool on my cart, so I am pretty sure I could get him out of a fix quickly.

It was just an experiment to see if it was an option. Can you think of any reason it would be a no-no for occassional use? I'm just thinking about the Saturday parade.

Was the gullet strap too long? I use one every day...I just leave it done up and unbuckle the throat latch and caveson.

Duh! I could have reused it.
default_wacko.png

default_biggrin.png
Actually, a cheaper alternative to a "real" gullet strap is a small cat or dog collar from the dollar store. That is all I used for years, until I got my last two harnesses which had them included.

I was thinking of doing the collar, but I am out in the boonies, so sometimes have to make-do until I can get into town. Since the zip tie seemed to do the job, I will probably try to fabricate a leather one. I have a few ends of buckled straps I could try. My horses are getting so furry now it's not really going to matter much if it is easy on the eye.

I use a dog collar on my bridle. I think the zip tie would work, better to be safe than have a bridle rub and have it come off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that a zip tie should be fine in the absence of a real gullet strap or dog/cat collar, and definitely better than nothing. Unless the noseband or chin strap are extremely tight, it shouldn't be an issue.

Of course, a black zip tie would look better than the typical white ones...

The only thing I can think of is that the zip tie might fail under pressure. I tried to use one after that accident in KY to make a loop on the driving cavesson to attach a lead line to and it broke in moments, freeing the mare to run loose again. It was a horrible surprise! On the other hand, I've got zip ties holding my ponying framework to the cart at the moment and to my surprise they've actually held. It's kinda weird.

Here is my homemade gullet strap from a few years ago. One nylon dog collar, one welded ring for tying bought from the feed-store, two keepers and voila!

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

Looking back I guess I could have rotated the leash ring down somehow and tied to it, but the tie ring seemed sturdier.

Leia

My mom's is binder twine. Since it was bright blue, she painted it with hoof black before show season started. Now it's classy.

Mine is one of those double looped keepers for full cheek snaffles.

My mom's is binder twine. Since it was bright blue, she painted it with hoof black before show season started. Now it's classy.

Mine is one of those double looped keepers for full cheek snaffles.
I also use bailing twine. I made a 4-strand round braid with loops on either end so it can either stay on the bridle when I unbuckle caveson and throat (which I rebuckle just to keep it from getting lost) or can simply be slid back on. So far I have lost about 4 of them (which is why I now rebuckle) but since they cost nothing, and only take about 15 minutes to make, I don't care. I did get a dog collar to make a dressier gullet strap for competition, but since I like to toss the guys in the trailer and take to the trails - and I tend to lose them when coming home, I decided the bailing twine ones were all I could be trusted with for casual.
default_no.gif

The only thing I can think of is that the zip tie might fail under pressure. I tried to use one after that accident in KY to make a loop on the driving cavesson to attach a lead line to and it broke in moments, freeing the mare to run loose again. It was a horrible surprise! On the other hand, I've got zip ties holding my ponying framework to the cart at the moment and to my surprise they've actually held. It's kinda weird.

Here is my homemade gullet strap from a few years ago. One nylon dog collar, one welded ring for tying bought from the feed-store, two keepers and voila!

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

Looking back I guess I could have rotated the leash ring down somehow and tied to it, but the tie ring seemed sturdier.

Leia

I just found this old post.

I am going to try this.

It would be nice to be able to put a lead on whith the bridle at times or if I should need to tie for a moment .

Never un attended though

OK, Showing my inexperience with driving here... Is the purpose of a gullet strap just for attaching a lead? I'm guessing it is for trail driving or combined driving since I have not seen one in the show ring.

Forgive me, trying to learn!
default_smile.png

I believe the main purpose of the gullet strap is for safety so that the mini can't rub the bridle off, so not usually an issue in the show ring. I think someone suggested a black shoelace in an emergency. Since I used to ride and don't have a dog, I tend to use old spur straps where others use dog collars! That is what i use to keep the single tree from moving too far in either direction but could work for a gullet strap too.

KLM I don't even have a clue what a gullet strap is either. I tried searching but didn't find anything specific.

Reactions: KLM
Renolizzie , the strap they are referring to is one that is fastened between the bottom of the nose band on the caveson and the strap that fastens under the jaw (the throat latch) it prevents the horse from rubbing the bridle off over its ears by holding the crown piece (behind the ears) down. It isn't standard on driving bridles and most people just fashion one as is being described.

I am going to do this for both reasons.

So my girl can not rub her bridle off and so I can put a lead on her when I need to.

I am not sure how this would work- it obviously does, since you are using it, but I do not see how......

I am not sure how this would work- it obviously does, since you are using it, but I do not see how......

Yeah, I am thinking if you put it underneath, how does that work? Plus, I didn't get a cavesson with my bridle. Is that going to hinder me on using this?

Latest posts

Back