Gullet strap

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a nose band on my bridle

So this will attach to it and the throat latch

With a ring on it I can attach a lead to it to tie Diva or as a lead

For my son or others just learning and not confident

To go alone . I can lead with out attaching to the bit

Keep in mind that if your noseband is the kind that runs through the cheek pieces if the bridle, when you attach a lead or a tie rope to that noseband...or to a collar that is in turn attached to that noseband....any use of that lead WILL have an effect on the bit. Don't believe me? Take hold of that noseband and put some sideways pull on it and take notice of how it moves the bit. I would not tie a horse by this method!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure how this would work- it obviously does, since you are using it, but I do not see how......
I'm not sure if this was referring to me or to anyone in general who uses a gullet strap. I personally, altho I know what it is, do not use a gullet strap to keep a bridle in place nor for leading/tying. What I do is not so neat and pretty and would NOT fly in the ring. I forgo the caveson and leave the halter under the bridle. Then I run the throat latch of the bridle thro the throat latch/cheek piece ring of my horses halter before fastening it. The halter does an excellent job of preventing a horse from dragging the bridle over its ears and if I must unhitch and tie/lead it is easily and safely accomplished. I do use light weight halters for this so that it doesn't interfere unduly with the workings of the headstall/bit.

I'm not sure if this was referring to me or to anyone in general who uses a gullet strap. I personally, altho I know what it is, do not use a gullet strap to keep a bridle in place nor for leading/tying. What I do is not so neat and pretty and would NOT fly in the ring. I forgo the caveson and leave the halter under the bridle. Then I run the throat latch of the bridle thro the throat latch/cheek piece ring of my horses halter before fastening it. The halter does an excellent job of preventing a horse from dragging the bridle over its ears and if I must unhitch and tie/lead it is easily and safely accomplished. I do use light weight halters for this so that it doesn't interfere unduly with the workings of the headstall/bit.

That is what I have been doing. Several people I know do it that way except I didn't think to put the bridle through the halter.

I have to hitch up and drive alone so I figure this is just a safer better way to do it. If I have a problem on the road or need to open a gate [which hasn't happened yet but could] I have s halter to hook a lead rope onto. I bring a lead rope with me along with a couple of other pieces of "emergency" equipment.

Cant do it without cavesson I dont think. I wouldn't drive without a cavesson in my honest opinion. If you ever lost your bridle from horse rubbing you have nothing on the head. Mini driving bridles can come off so easily if they rub. My trainer told me about a driving wreck with a biggie due to the bridle coming off. Gullett strap is a safety tool. I have never seen it included with regular harness purchase. I also didn't know about trace carriers before somebody showed me on here. Good info available on lb for safety. Before I used little dog collars my trainer made a gullet strap out of baling twine.

Ps. Yes I know you should never let them rub. Our horses are good at making things happen when you least expect it. Nicehaving safety built I. Where u can. Cheers

I tried a halter under my bridle and that was to tight and Diva didn't like it.

How did you do yours.
I use a light weight nylon halter than sits very flat against the horses head (I think a rope halter might work but it would need to fit quite snugly to avoid being a hazard - don't want loose fitting parts getting hung up on anything) Then I just adjust the headstall to fit, the halter really doesn't take up much room so it hasn't been a problem that way. If you look at my avatar picture, that halter is not the type I use. Too thick, rather it is quite thin and flat. If my camera/computer weren't fighting with each other I would take a picture of one and post it. Most of the cheaper halters are made from pretty light weight nylon tho so it should be easy to find one suitable.

You can get halters specifically made without side metal squares, to fit flat under a driving bridle, so I guess that is what I would use. I had never thought of this problem, and I have never had it happen- I am thinking it is one of those things that really only have to happen once! I just cannot see how attaching a throat lash to the noseband would prevent the bridle coming off- now, using a strap round the neck, behind the ears, and attaching the headpiece to that, as in an Australian riding bridle (sort of...) that would work, but I just do not see how this would help at all.

The biggest reason a driving bridle comes off is the browband is too short and pulls it onto and over the ears. I always replace the standard browband with a longer one and my driving bridles do not come off. I suppose they could be rubbed off--though truly not as easy as a bridle with a too-short browband. And, since I only drive singles, the horse has nothing to rub on when he is being driven. He might try to rub on me when I go to his head when we finish--but that is not allowed. If anyone else got close enough to let my horse rub on them they would be told to step away from the horse.

Yep minimore is right. I replaced my bridle with a custom one when I saw that it was shallow and stiff and could pull off due to poor fit.

I hate the bridles that sit tight behind the ears and replace them because to my mind they simply don't fit are too small. Of course if I'd had any sense I might have checked to see which part could be swapped out
default_doh.gif
. I have seen a few horses drop their heads and rub the bridle off on their own leg. I expect my horses to keep their heads up, but in bug season dropping it happens on occasion (those ears can feel desperately itchy if the bugs are too thick). Like rabbitsfizz, I have yet to have a horse remove its headstall but I would like to keep it that way so I do what I can to prevent it.

I got a bit strap (not sure if that is exactly what it is called) from our local feed store. In addition to my minis I have a Hanoverian/Welsh B mare that is learning how to drive. My instructor recommended that same thing - for safety. There were quite a few to choose from, but I choose a leather one that came with keepers. She's not driving right now, but this thread reminded me to put it on
default_yes.gif
and it seems to do the trick. It certainly was a cheap solution...I believe it was $8.95 or so. And I didn't have to round up some keepers!

Now for the minis...I'll have to go check again, but I remember trying to "rub" Orion's custom bridle off and it was pretty much on there to stay! I am looking at one of those flat under bridle halters for my Welsh cross, and checking to see if they have mini sizes. That would really be handy as I haven't found one that is thin enough.

Wiseguy did once remove his bridlel when we got back from driving and he was at the hitching rail. He thinks the bridle is itchy. Now I watch him and tell him no you don't. That bridle doesn't come off until I take it off. He doesn't get away with shaking his head to hurry me along either.

I expect him to keep his head up when he is driving so that hasn't been an issue.

I got a bit strap (not sure if that is exactly what it is called) from our local feed store. In addition to my minis I have a Hanoverian/Welsh B mare that is learning how to drive. My instructor recommended that same thing - for safety. There were quite a few to choose from, but I choose a leather one that came with keepers. She's not driving right now, but this thread reminded me to put it on
default_yes.gif
and it seems to do the trick. It certainly was a cheap solution...I believe it was $8.95 or so. And I didn't have to round up some keepers!

Now for the minis...I'll have to go check again, but I remember trying to "rub" Orion's custom bridle off and it was pretty much on there to stay! I am looking at one of those flat under bridle halters for my Welsh cross, and checking to see if they have mini sizes. That would really be handy as I haven't found one that is thin enough.

If you find a flat under bridle for the minis, I would love to hear about it.

I got one of those special halters that goes over the bridle and it buckles over the nose. He gets cross tied when we get back and I untack.. bridle and cavassen is last off. This helped me a bunch with his rubbing because he knows now the exact order and the halter is an excellent reminder we are not finished yet. After we are untacked I only rub him with a towel on his head. No towel no rub. My guy needs visual clues. We used a rubber mat for a standing target at first to teach him not to eat during tack up.

Marsha - You started an interesting topic here and I learned a lot.

That smooth no buckle on the nose piece bridle is nice, thanks for the pic Rabbitfizz.

Thanks for the PM Cajonat.

Rabbitfiz where did you get the halter.

I tried my " foal halter " under my bridle today.

It worked ok . I was able to un tack without

Worrying about being on my own with Diva.

The foal halter is thin and has adjustments on both the nose and the throat latch.

Latest posts

Back