Growing the mane

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poniesrule

Reaction score
My daughters new mini was shown extensively last year & his mane was clipped back by previous owners. Knowing that's the "style" (words are escaping me this morning) we don't want to grow it all out, but she wants him to have a little shorter bridle path section. All of his mane is growing back anyways, but it is standing straight up! Our first show is in June, and we would like to not have him look like a blue roan fjord.... It's about 3" long already, and probably just that thick too. I've tried thinning it, but it's still standing
default_smile.png
Any tips?

I think they make mane tamers for Minis.Had some years ago when I was showing.My suggestion would be to braid it and put some light weights of some kind at the end of the braids.You will have to remove the braids frequently to avoid damage to the hair.There are products you can give to assist in growth.Look in your equine catalogs.I think it is biotin which promotes growth of hair and nails or feet.the best thing is time which you seem to be a little short on.Good luck with your project,.

Shapeley's MTG mane and tail grower works wonders. You can buy it at tractor supply and similar stores. It smells like eggs b/c it has sulphur in it. So I would not use it right before the show. It will get his mane growing in no time. I also agree with braiding the mane to keep it tamed. You could also try adding a feed supplement for skin and coat as healthy hair starts from the inside.

MTG is very good, as has been suggested, but I also think you are short of time to get enough growth - how long is the rest of his mane?

For a final "bend over and lock in place", human hair straighteners used on the day will keep the mane looking flat and smooth (soft too!) for you.

An old cowboy trick was to fill the area with vaseline and then rub dirt into it. The dirt will travel by gravity to the bottom of the vaseline saturated mane and help to weight it over. Washes out pretty easily with a little liquid Dawn dish detergent. Doesn't damage the mane.

Its not going to lay over and grow enough by June I don't think. My best advice to you would be to keep the bridle path shaved way back the way it was for this show season. Then right after the last show of this year, let it begin to grow then. You'll have fall and winter months and spring which will give you much better growth time. Actually, when you show, look at the other horses there. They probably have long bridle paths too. I have a few of mine cut way back as well and that is because they are unruly and one big pain so it might just be a real time and frustration saver for you as well.

His mane has been growing since last august. I think he's the sort that won't grow fast. I know most of the other competitors will be trimmed farther back, but he is my daughter's fun horse. Costume, obstacle, braiding practice, etc. which is why I wouldn't mind him having more mane. I never thought of a culing iron. There's an idea. I' have some MTG in my garage, just need some decent weather ugh. The rest of his mane isn't super long, but it's super thick too. I can manage to thin that, I'm just grateful it isn't sticking straight up! Thanks for the ideas all!

I have a mare that had her bridle path cut way back too. It has been two years and it is almost the same length. If it grows slow, you may just need to show as is this year. (Personally I do not care much for the length of the bridle paths currently in the show ring, reminds me of roached manes. JMHO.)

I rubber band it down with conditioner- when it gets long enough, braid it so it lays over. I then use a slinky before shows and that really flattens it down. I think by June you may be ok.

I'll get pictures when I get back home (traveling for work). I guess worst case scenario I make a last minute decision the week before ;)

If it makes you feel better, I have an even worse situation with Rusty, the mini that was attacked by a bobcat and featured in this months Journal on page 44 ( link is on here somewhere). In November when it happened we were only concerned about saving his life so we cut all his mane and foretop off. (He was covered in blood as was every inch of his stall). Now that he has made a pretty miraculous recovery we are wondering how to get his mane long enough to show on June 1. His whole mane is sticking straight up! It is too cold here to put anything on it yet but we will try MTG as soon as we can, plus a mane tamer. We can't use a slinky because it was either that or his blanket that caused a nasty rub on his withers that we are still dealing with. We plan to band the mane for actual showing and use a slinky the night before the show, plus lots of hair goo. We get the extra hold kind.

Rusty_mane2.jpg

Targetsmom: I remember reading about that! So glad he's ok! And you know, manes are just decoration.... at the end of the day it really doesn't matter. Right?
default_pinocchio.gif

I am going to start some MTG this weekend.... see what happens. It just cracks me up how thick & long it is and it stands straight up. I like the idea of weighting it in some way, I'll have a lot of used rubber bands by the time I start showing!

I've heard of putting beads (like kids use to make bracelets) in their mane to add weight to help lay it down. I keep picturing Bo Derek in 10 I think she had beads at the bottom of those little braids... right? Of course I might be a bit concerned that other horses might decide to try and eat them...
default_eat.gif

Latest posts

Back