Groundhog problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverRidgeMinis

Reaction score
I have a crazy groundhog that is digging one or two holes in everyone of my stalls when the horses are out during the day. I have a humane trap but I cannot trap the crazy thing. I have used cherry tomotoes, grapes, alf. cubes, and horse grain as bait. I have also tried lettace. Anyone have any suggestions how to get it to go in the trap? I am afraid to use a inhumane trap as I have barn cats and do not want them to get hurt. If I knew how to shoot a gun, I would kill it myself.

Any suggestions are welcome. I am scared it will cause harm to the horses if they step in one of these holes that I keep trying to fillup.

Sincerely,

Freida

Silver Ridge Minis

If you want to trap and relocate, I was advised to use a snickers candy bar. Never tried it, but I do know from first hand experience that they love to eat califlower as we had one eat all of ours last year. Some one also said to dump used dirty kitty litter in the holes to keep them from returning. Some thing about cat urine being a repelent.

They're very hard to get rid of and catch in a humane trap. A couple of things I've used that worked well to make them leave - Dog poop.... Yep....good ol dog poop. Well maybe you'd not want to put in in your horses stalls but if you have them digging holes outside on your property dump the poop right in the holes. Don't have to cover them just keep dumping it in every time your dog goes and it's so offensive they tend to abandon the holes. Then you can cover and seal the holes. Also for the humane traps we've used several things without success. One thing that I caught one with was nectarines. During the spring and summer is a hard time to trap them as there is so much food for them out there everywhere where supplies of garden faire and grass is lush and available. Have you tried berries? I know around here they go for and love raspberries.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back