grooming help needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
Our Mini club is doing a horse Expo in 2 weeks&we are taking a very hairy almost white gelding which will not be clipped due to the cold weather.It is much too cold to bathe him &with his very long hair he would probably take 2 weeks to dry.I remember reading on here about a blower or something used to blow the dirts&hair off Minis.Any help would be greatly appriciated-maybe a brand name, source to buy and approximate price.Thanks for any help and come visit us at booth 1601-1602 at THE EXPO in Timonium,MD Jan 18-Jan 21.DELMARVA MINIATURE HORSE CLUB THANKS

In the winter I use what I call the no touch horse wash. I have a vacume that I put the hose on the opposite

end and just blow the dirt and dust off.If they have any stains I just wet a wash cloth and rub it off . Brush them really good , spray them with show sheen , Let them dry and brush them again. They are good to go !! The show sheen makes that winter hair so soft and fluffy.

Good Luck and Have Fun..Maryann

You can use a shop vac. I know several people who use that. I happen to have a dog grooming vac. but they are pretty pricey, I think over $100.

Pam

I seem to remember the name SHARK for Wal-Mart.anybody know anything about it used for horses?I need to get something quickly since the EXPO is only 2 weeks away.Thanks for any help.

I was a professional dog groomer for 6 years, so got spoiled being able to groom my Alaskan Malamute at work during shedding season. So when I quit grooming I just HAD to have the same force dryers we used at work to keep up with the hair!

Now my same dryer has another job as well, and that is cleaning my horses. In fact, it does such a wonderful job, that for the last two shows I entered, I didn't even bathe my horses!!!!

THis is the one I have:

Metro Air Force Commander, 4.0 HP

I use a shop vac also. I was just at K-mart today and they were selling them for $60-$100 depending on the size, but my dad just said you can get one for about $40. Good Luck! L

Wow I have one of these for my dogs as well- for show grooming on my dogs- I had never thought of using it to blow dust and dirt off the horses! :aktion033:

Michelle
I hadn't, either... but when I got my first driving mini, the lady I got him from was telling me she uses a blower on all the minis, and showed me how Sheik was fine with it... since then, I've got all my minis used to it
default_smile.png
I'm surprised that none have been scared though! They just act like it's no big deal ;)

Jessi

For those of us that don't have a vac that blows as well as sucks, would a hairdryer do the job??

Or would it not be powerful enough?

My husband has an aircompressor but he thinks it might be too powerful, being compressed air.

You are in Luck! It is supposed to

be near 70 degress Saturday!!!
default_smile.png
)

I use a leaf blower. It only takes a time or

two, and they are fine with the noise.

I hope you have a great Expo!!

~Sandy

I use a lil bitty vaccumm that i bought at wally world for 20 bucks..works great..at the barn we also have that vac and blow thing, that's really expensive.

For those of us that don't have a vac that blows as well as sucks, would a hairdryer do the job??

Or would it not be powerful enough?

My husband has an aircompressor but he thinks it might be too powerful, being compressed air.

A hair dryer would be too hot for the horses.

I didn't realize shop vacs work so well! Learn something new everyday...

Latest posts

Back