'Grooma' curry comb

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
I've been reading reviews about 'Grooma' curry combs. Apparently the best and most effective curry combs around. They also come in a smaller version.

GROOMA CURRY COMB

I can't seem to locate them here in Australia, so I would have to have one sent over.

Are they as good as I have read? Are they any better than any other curry combs on the market?

Some feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one & about had a fit one day when I thought it was lost. It did turn up, thank goodness, I really would hate to lose that little curry comb.

However, much as I like that Grooma curry comb I do have to say that if I've got some horses that are shedding big time & I just want to get as much hair out of them in as little time as possible, a shedding blade is still my tool of choice. The Grooma will do a good deep grooming job & get the hair out, but it does take longer

I love the Grooma Rake, or other metal dog-type rakes for removing vast swathes of shedding hair. I wouldn't use a metal rake on legs or other less padded body parts, but the horses absolutely love it on butts, hips, barrel, neck, etc. I just spent the afternoon de-fuzzing my three, and each tried to push in for their turn...I think I have enough hair for another horse...

I'd like to try the one you've linked...I have a $10 off coupon for PetSmark (beginning of the local store's going out of business sale...) so that means a trip is in the offing...

I've tried those, but honestly prefer to use a high velocity blower to BLOW coats out.
default_wink.png
:

I love mine! They really get the hair out, aren't hard on the hair like a metal shedding blade (anything metal actually breaks the ends of the hair), and are easy to clean out. Because of the larger knobs, the hair ends up flicking right off in a circle. As a plus, kids are easily amused by collecting the circles of hair and creating a "masterpiece" while you're grooming. :bgrin

I like the smaller sized one. I have small but fat hands and the big one hurts to hold for too long. They are a great product and work well.

Karen

I have a couple-the 'original' and a 'soft touch', I think(have had them for years...)-they work fine, and as noted, the hair 'cleans out' of them really easily-a plus! They ARE easy to use; I use a rotating motion, and the horses love the feeling, too. However, for intense shedding, the best tool is still a shedding blade, IMO. I open mine up, use it two-handed-and when the greatest volume of hair is 'releasing', it does the best job. Once we are more 'down to' mostly the new growth hair, then I switch to a less 'vigorous' tool, because I do agree, metal teeth aren't the best, in continuous use, on the hair coat.

Margo

I don't find they are good compared to other products on the market. There are tons and tons of rubber curries out there. For bathing I prefer a good sarvis curry (although yes, it's hard to tap the hair out), and for shedding out I like a daily shedding blade once-over... bathing and vacuuming get the rest of the hair out.

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back