Great new tool

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandminis

Reaction score
I got really tired of having difficulty picking up mini "muffins" in any semi grassy area - the manure fork kept getting hung up in grassy bits etc.... So I saw this industrial sized dog doodoo picker upper, one meant for kennel businesses. It has and 11x9x3 tray on a long handle and a small rake- Figured what the heck, I'll try it. Well it came yesterday and I spent an hour out in the pasture scooping muffins with it and it is about 3 times faster than the manure fork and does not hurt my back the same way! You just put it down next to the piles and rake them in! Love it! It's called "The Scoop" and I got it at petedge.com.

Any chance you could provide a link to the item? I see several like you describe
default_smile.png

That is a great idea, and I had been using one for MANY years and actually still have mine and use it to clean the standing stalls for the big horses. That is, I use the rake portion, but I use it with an aluminum shovel for the big horses, but the scoop that came with it was PERFECT for the minis!! This is where I buy mine.

http://www.jefferspet.com/the-scoop-with-rake/camid/PET/cp/0040164/cn/1101412/

The only negative with it that I have found, is that they do seem to come apart where the tray attaches to the stick part, but we have fixed them using rivets when that happens, to help extend their lifespan.

0040164_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using a dog pooper scooper for cleaning up the pasture/turn out are since the fall. It works so much better than the shovel I was using!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
I still use a manure fork for cleaning the stall, the only problem is the really small poops slip through!!
default_doh.gif

That looks handy! I use something similar--its like a bucket tray thingy. You lay it on the ground and scoop the poop in then lift it back up and its like a bucket--I can't really explain well XD

That looks like a pretty good system islandminis. I have a 'doggy do' scooper that I bought years ago to clean up after my dogs. Now I use a small shovel for the dogs and the scooper does mini duty
default_smile.png
Mine is slightly different than the one you (or anyone else so far) have described. It has its handles (like broom handles) crossed and bolted together so it has a scissor action and the scooping part is aluminum. I plan to ad longer handles to it so I don't have to bend and I would like to find a way to cut slots on one side of the scoop so I could shake out the extra shavings when I clean stalls. Other than that It is a quick and efficient way to clean up after my little hay burners. I wonder if I could figure out a way to fasten the 2 handles of the rake and shovel type you describe (and Mona shows a link for) so they would have a scissor action.... hmmm, not sure if that would work but I sure like the idea of being able to separate out the excess shavings.

Just bought one for my 6 dogs. Didn't think to use it for horses. Wonder if I could scoop goat poo with it. Did have a chuckle..sometimes the tines of the rake catch on grass and instead of getting the poo flicked into the shovel i flicked it at myself and it bounced off my legs. Made my 11 year old son roar with laughter at the flying poo. Gotta develop my poo technique. It is a nice scooper.

Yes I've been using this for many many years also and buy a new one when the old one wears out. I keep several on hand.
default_smile.png

Susan O.

I am opposite to you shorthorsemom...I tried using it on the lawn for the dogs and just don't like it for that. I have my "technique" down pat for the dogs with a regular flat metal flipping piece instead of the rake, so do my yard with the old style, but like Susan, I have many sets here for use in the smaller individual pastures where I kept my stallions and weanings etc.

Latest posts

Back