Grass Alternatives

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrselvr728

Reaction score
Due to leaf cover, weather, rain, animals, etc., we currently have no grass in our back yard. I do like this for one reason in that my mini doesn't spend all day eating grass that could make him tubby and create other health problems. However, I HATE the way it looks with just dirt and other plants/trees around. I was wondering if there was anything I could grow or place to make it look better like moss or pine needles. I also wasn't sure what might be safe or hazardous to my little one. The area is on a bit of a slant (we loose dirt with heavy rain) and the soil is a bit sandy. I live in SC so the winters aren't so bad. Any suggestions?

You need to rake or atleast mulch the leaves. Preferably get them out of there so your horse doesn't go to eating them out of boredom.

For nasty areas that are prone to get muddy, I plant winter rye for the winter months. It comes up very quickly and I use it basically just for ground cover so they are not standing in mush. They do not want to eat it, but it does solve a mud problem that I have in one of my lower fields that doesn't drain very well. I usually close off that field for winter anyway, but sometimes I need to use it in a pinch. You still have time to plant it now, and it should come up for you in two or three weeks.

Here is a picture that shows the green rye grass in the field to your left.

Then compare that to the dead croaked grass in the field to the right.

bARNRYEGRASS.jpg

Latest posts

Back