Grain Question!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby.

Reaction score
Just wondering, I've got a yearling filly on my hands that has trouble gaining and keeping weight on. She's always been a little chunky as a weanling but we got her out of that big belly stage. But over the winter she lost a little more than she should have. I upped her grain and it has made some difference, but wondering if it's what I'm feeding rather than how much.

She's currently on 3 cups of Frisky Foal twice a day, half a cup of finishing touch twice a day, and a scoop of beetpulp twice a day.

I've been told that maybe putting her on sweet feed would give her that boost of energy she's lacking and fatten her up a bit. She's really showing it over the ribs and hips, even though they are wide. She's regularily dewormed and the vet has confirmed that's not the issue, nor are there any other underlying issues. She's just a hard keeper.

My question is can I put her on something more fattening, other than the juvenile feeds (Purina Juvenile, Masterfeeds Frisky Foal, Masterfeeds Equine Developer, ect.), or should I just be giving her more? Also was planning on getting her on a high fat oil that would give that glossy shine to her coat as well as the high fat content. Any suggestions and intel. needed!

Thanks!

What is the protein of Frisky foal?? It's better to let her gain slowly than trying to bulk her up quickly.

For me, good solid hay (pretty much all he wants) does the trick. I feed straight bermuda...no junk, no filler just good stuff! I also feed the Purina Mini Horse and Pony feed from tractor supply (2 cups twice a day), and a cup of co-op Equillite twice a day. Good luck

Ok, so I looked at the Masterfeeds website, and since she is now a yearling, I'd probably go with the Mare'N'Foal or the Equine Developer at the proper level for her age and weight. Be sure to weigh the feed to be sure she is getting enough. [sorry, I live in the states, and I'm not very good with the metric system, so won't even attempt to tell you how much to feed, only that it really needs to be weighed, so that you know you are feeding the right amount.]

The Frisky Foal seems to be for just foals and weanlings. I'd likely feed just the growth feed (which ever you choose) at the appropriate levels and only add the Finishing Touch if the growth feed at the appropriate level wasn't doing enough for her after being on for about 30 days. Give it time at the appropriate feed rate, and the growth feeds should work.

Also, instead of adding oil, try ground flax seed. Will add healthy fat, Omega 3 and 6 and lots of other good stuff! I've seen great results from adding just a little flax to a hard keeper's diet.

Latest posts

Back