Gracie is in foal as of today 359 days!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrenhart

Reaction score
I have had the vet out to give her a good check on Friday, said she looks good , foal moving, bagged up and healthy, I am concerned she hasn't had it yet and I am hoping this is normal, she does have an edema on her tummy ...any ideas or simular lengths of gestation or anything???? Thanks Renee

Last edited by a moderator:
Renee,

I wouldn't worry about her too much some mares take a little longer than others. Even if you are counting your days by the middle day she was bred she possible could have not concived until a week after that date. Just keep watching her as you have been im sure.

Is she in a stall or does she have room to move about and roll if she would want too? Sometimes that helps if you can get them out and let them roll or walk around a little bit.

Hope this helps.

i had one that was born at 372 days!

Lyn

Renee,

I wouldn't worry about her too much some mares take a little longer than others. Even if you are counting your days by the middle day she was bred she possible could have not concived until a week after that date. Just keep watching her as you have been im sure.

Is she in a stall or does she have room to move about and roll if she would want too? Sometimes that helps if you can get them out and let them roll or walk around a little bit.

Hope this helps.

Well first of all thanks so much for you reply, I bred her in hand only once on March 11 of last year, then teased her and she never came back in obviously
default_smile.png
and she is in a dry pen 20X13 with lots of staw and she does roll and then she goes out until dark in a 100X100 grassy yard with just nubbins but for her to get her exersize. I have pictures on photobucket but cant get them to load here, Thanks again Renee

i had one that was born at 372 days!

Lyn

Really OH! I don't want to wait THAT long
default_sad.png
But I guess it is like Christmas, I need to be patient...DANG!!!!!
default_frusty.gif
default_pray.gif

Thanks so much !!!

The longest I have had one go is 360 days, but I have heard of several who went longer. My shortest was 287 days. He was healthy and fully developed.
Well maybe today is the day...my vet said too look for milk and when it changes from clear to cloudy check her every hour...but she also said that isn't for certain and I know that...my large horses always knew my schedule and I have only seen a few just after they were born...I am thinkin about a foal alarm for my minis cause I want to get them safely out ...Oh my motherhood is stressful especially on the Grandmother ha
default_smile.png

Oh I am feeling the same pain as you right now!! An no end in the immediate future. My mare is somewhere between 348 to 353 days right now. I can't find my sheet of paper where I wrote the exact date. My gal is a maiden so no previous exerience there. I hope your gal foals real soon for you!! The 370 day range scares me! lol.
default_new_shocked.gif

Oh I am feeling the same pain as you right now!! An no end in the immediate future. My mare is somewhere between 348 to 353 days right now. I can't find my sheet of paper where I wrote the exact date. My gal is a maiden so no previous exerience there. I hope your gal foals real soon for you!! The 370 day range scares me! lol.
default_new_shocked.gif

Oh we are in the same boat! I hope you have a great baby and it is healthy and easy to come into the world , mine too and a filly would be sweet
default_smile.png
Thanks I will be looking for your birth announcement and keep me posted ! Renee

PS Which mare of yours are you waiting on...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Three years ago, we had a mare go 388 days :DOH! and delivered a healthy colt who now stands 25.5" tall!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Bill

I'm waiting on my maiden, Merryweather. You can see about her in another thread on here. I think it is "I'm confused, Fat or Pregnant?" There are pictures of her from a few weeks ago and then yesterday. I think the baby is starting to position itself as she is quite slab sided but not much else happening.

Three years ago, we had a mare go 388 days :DOH! and delivered a healthy colt who now stands 25.5" tall!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Bill

OH MY!!! I am not wanting that stress, she looks like she dropped a foot and her belly will be dragging the ground soon... to me anyway
default_smile.png
I have a feeling it may be tonight... we will see....388 days! YIKES!

I'm waiting on my maiden, Merryweather. You can see about her in another thread on here. I think it is "I'm confused, Fat or Pregnant?" There are pictures of her from a few weeks ago and then yesterday. I think the baby is starting to position itself as she is quite slab sided but not much else happening.

I tried to find the thread but cant figure out how to search for it on here :DOH! I did go to your website , she is a doll! I would like to see her other pregie pix , can you tell me how to find the thread on here???

Thank you. I also own her mom, Peaches who is due in July. Big stretch and it wasn't planned that way on either of them. Here is the link to Merry's thread. Merry's preggo thread.

Thank you. I also own her mom, Peaches who is due in July. Big stretch and it wasn't planned that way on either of them. Here is the link to Merry's thread. Merry's preggo thread.

Ok went to the thread, wow her mom had a false preg that must have been disapointing, boy.... I love her look, she is adorable, sounds like you are ready for the baby and it will be warm and cozy
default_smile.png
I was wondering what a "V" is that you are all talking about and I wias hoping I could email you pix of Gracie and then you could post them on this thread for me if that would be OK with the admistration and you
default_yes.gif
Let me know if you wouldn't mind, I understnd if you do
default_biggrin.png
Thanks Ren

I had a big mare who used to routinely go just at a full year. I think the longest I've had a miniature go was about 345 or so, still a looong time to wait LOL. Most of mine are a little quicker on average, but the one thing normal about broodmares is that none of them read the book and it seems there is no normal!

Hope you don't have much longer to wait.
default_smile.png
(388 days?? wow.)

Jan

I had a big mare who used to routinely go just at a full year. I think the longest I've had a miniature go was about 345 or so, still a looong time to wait LOL. Most of mine are a little quicker on average, but the one thing normal about broodmares is that none of them read the book and it seems there is no normal!

Hope you don't have much longer to wait.
default_smile.png
(388 days?? wow.)

Jan

Yea maybe that is my problem I need to lend her my book
default_smile.png
Thanks for comisserating
default_smile.png

I have been told that the time of year can depend on the length of gestation.

In winter, early spring, they will hang on to them longer as if waiting for spring, but in the heat of mid-summer, they can foal early.

My dad was an old horseman and I remember we had a standard bred foal born at 365 days at the end of March. (yes one full year) and the mare was only hand bred once.

Patience is the name of the game.!! Wendy

I have been told that the time of year can depend on the length of gestation.

In winter, early spring, they will hang on to them longer as if waiting for spring, but in the heat of mid-summer, they can foal early.

My dad was an old horseman and I remember we had a standard bred foal born at 365 days at the end of March. (yes one full year) and the mare was only hand bred once.

Patience is the name of the game.!! Wendy

Wow! Ayear seems ca-razy! But 388 days as one said on here is really too much...I am thinking she is close... her belly is lower every day and she is moving slower and just last night I finally caught her laying down...I am trying to busy myseld with clipping chores and bathing while it is nice out here in sunny CA
default_smile.png
Thanks for the help
default_yes.gif
It makes sense about waiting for spring etc.... Ren

Here are pictures of Gracie from Renee.

gracieside.jpg

gracierump.jpg

She is also going to send me bag and noonie shots so I will post them when I get them.

Latest posts

Back