Gotta go shopping! Kinda long

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Us N Texas

Reaction score
Okay, this tale starts off about two weeks ago. I had a blow out in right rear tire. I have a small SUV, and it appears, hard to find tires. Never had that problem before, just now. I have to tell you that the young man that stopped and fixed my flat was a sourthern gentleman deluxe. When he had finally figured out where the tire lock, jack and handle were on that foreign contraption, he proceeded to fix that tire in no time "flat." I just knew he wasn't going to take anything for his trouble, so I made out a check for $20.00 and left it blank. He kept insisting he wouldn't take it, and I told him I didn't care what he did with the check , I was just trying to pay it forward. He finally took the check, and said he would make it payable to a young sheriff's deputy's family. He got killed in the line of duty just about a week before that, and left three small children. I don't know how you all feel, but I applaude that young man!

Now, on with the tale. We couldn't find a tire or tires that would fit in the small towns here, (not even Wal-Mart), so we put it off, after all the spare was good! Well, fate didn't see it that way, so Sunday when Jerry and Jacob drove my car to a friend's house about three miles away, to take care of his horses while he was gone, the left rear tire went flat. That meant I definitely had to get tires sooner than later, as that car was sitting three legged at the friend's house. Jerry and Jacob got the friend's Kubota and came home. We hopped in the truck, went to get feed, and look for tires! While at the feed store a man came in, said his house had burned the week before and needed a new electric range to furnish his new house. Wanted to know if anyone knew of one for sale. Jerry and I have been talking for months about getting a new one, so Jerry said "Tell him you have one for sale." I thought about it for a few minutes, then told the man about mine. I asked him only 1/2 what I wanted for it. He wanted to come see it immediately. Told him I had to go looking for tires, would be home later on. Gave him my phone number. Looked all afternoon for tires for the car, but no luck on Sunday! He came later Sunday night, and bought my stove! Now, I not only didn't have any way to go anywhere, but I couldn't cook either! Monday, Tina took me in her truck to Texarkana and I got my new tires! Still leaves me without a stove! But at least I can get into the restaurant and get something to eat! Anyway, by the time Jerry got home, changed the tires and did chores, it was too late to go shopping so we ended up having bologna sandwiches for dinner. Now, this afternoon, we will go shopping for a new stove. The advice I need is: Should I get a traditional one, or one of the flat top ones?

That question is what has kept me from getting a new one these past few months. I think it would be great to not have to keep those darned burner rings, and under the burners clean. That is really a pain in the hiney. BUT, are the flat tops easily broken? Someone told me you couldn't use iron skillets on them. Do you know if this is true? How hard are they to keep the tops cleaned when you have boil overs and etc. on them? Need your help ladies. Knew this was the place to come ask, because we are such a diversified bunch!

Hey Carolyn,

I bought a new stove when I moved in Feb. I also had been thinking about the flat top stoves so I finally broke down and bought one. I love it. It is very easy to clean, they have a cleaner in a small bottle to get you started with it. I also love not having those ring things to mess with. I haven't had anything boil over yet but just regular drips and such are easy to take care of. I don't have an iron skillet but have no problem with any other cookware so far. I would guess if you dropped something heavy enough on the top it would break but again that hasn't happened here yet. All in all I love this stove. And the oven part is self cleaning, just have to figure out how to do that one. I think you would love the flat top, just so much easier for me.

Happy Shopping.

Karen

DITTO on what Karen said...........easy to clean, and I have not broke mine yet have had it for 4 yrs and I suffer from MS and am a klutz........have three teenagers here and this stove has been put through a good test....GET YOUR SELF ONE by all means......and there is a cleaner sold at Wal-mart that works fantastic.........happy hunting

DITTO on what Karen said...........easy to clean, and I have not broke mine yet have had it for 4 yrs and I suffer from MS and am a klutz........have three teenagers here and this stove has been put through a good test....GET YOUR SELF ONE by all means......and there is a cleaner sold at Wal-mart that works fantastic.........happy hunting
I like ours except for the cleaning part. Husband is horrible with cooking and gets more on stove than in the pan or on the plate. What is the name of the cleaner if you don't mind telling me? I got the new Easy Off cleaner and it does nothing no matter how hard I scrub or leave it initially sit.

Ours we got used from a remodeling job that my father's construction company did and we still have had no problems with it.

Amanda

I've had a flat top for a couple of years now. Best advice to cleaning it is to clean it when the surface is still hot. I think the cleaner stuff I have for it even says to use it when the top is hot. I think. We normally just spray Lysol on it and scrub with a sponge.

No opinions or advice aobut the stove.

What kind of tires do you have on the car now? What kind and size?

I assume you have searched the internet for that brand?

Inquiring minds want to know -- maybe you can get one online??

JJay

J.Jay, they were Toyo tires, and I was not satisfied with the way they had worn, and also, they don't honor the warranty here in Texas. Before, I had to wait till I got back to Ky. to get one replaced. I did have Michelins before the Toyo tires. Went back to Michelin. They are 235-60R- 16. Not a size Wal-Mart sells, (especially here), or any one else hardly. Tire stores said they would have to order them. I wanted them right now, so had to go into the "big" city. They are classified light truck/suv tires.

I will give you the other side of the coin about kitchen ranges. I hate the one we have. When we remodled our kitchen that was the all the rage to have a glass top range. They dont heat evenly the bottom of the pots and pans are always black and and the top has to be cleaned with special solutions. they are a big mess and I hate the one we have can't say it enough I would trade it for a gas range any day. I dont mind cleaning the burner trays at all. can take them off and put them in the sink. I hate the thing. Cant use my Cast iron ware, I hate the thing. you have to get you a scraper to clean off the burned on mess that will not come off with the soft scrub solution. it it more work that it is worth. I HATE THE THING

My daughter has had one for years & loves it & I will be getting one when/if I ever get my new house........ I had to buy one for this house about three years ago & I sure wish I had bought one then. Was trying to save money since we were leaving it when we sold this place. As much as I cook I deserve a nice stove & my new house will have it!

Well, we went into town last night, and I bought a flat top range. I guess Jerry will be calling it my b'day present, as my birthday is Friday. It sure is purty though! Haven't tried it yet, as we stopped and ate Chinese on the way home. Do you know, it seems virtually impossible to find a white stove? I like white in the kitchen, so the stove had to be white to match the other appliances. About all you can find is black, and stainless steel. They had one that had a black top, black door, and the rest was white. Monochrome! I did find the solid white one though that had all the features I wanted, now all I have to do is use it. That's the hard part. Think I'll barbecue some ribs tonight!

I like ours except for the cleaning part. Husband is horrible with cooking and gets more on stove than in the pan or on the plate. What is the name of the cleaner if you don't mind telling me? I got the new Easy Off cleaner and it does nothing no matter how hard I scrub or leave it initially sit.

Ours we got used from a remodeling job that my father's construction company did and we still have had no problems with it.

Amanda
Amanda the name of the cleaner is WEIMAN Cook top Glass Cook Top cleaner------and I tried the Easy Off also and it did not work for me either......hope this one works as good for you as it does for me.......also I wait until the burners are cool before I touch them....

Latest posts

Back