Got Ducks???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Went to pick Brianna up from school and came home with a pair of domesticated mallard ducks. They rode very happily in the back section of my mini van.

Someone hand raised them and then dumped them at the local golf course, which is close to the school. The two ducks found their way over to the school and were hanging out at the front door of the main building begging for food. To me that's like dumping a housedog in the woods and figuring it would learn how to hunt for food! People are so stupid.
default_frusty.gif

Right now they are in a stall in the barn with a tub of water (which they immediately drank from), a half loaf of white bread torn in pieces, some grain, and a small pile of grass hay.

Tomorrow we'll show them our pond. But I do realize we are going to have to feed them......REAL food. I'm assuming the white bread is like feeding them candy?

So what do people feed ducks? Do they need any supplements?

Yeah, white bread is NOT good for them although they will eat it!

The best food you can feed them is a bagged grain specifically for waterfowl (my feed store carries a 50# bag of "Mazuri Waterfowl") and then supplement with some greens like spinach and/or romaine lettuce.

If you don't have a waterfowl-specific diet, look for something that is a mix of chicken scratch, cracked corn, alfalfa pellets, and crushed barley. Some pigeon feed in there is okay, too. Pretty much a variety of grains and some vegetable-based feed like alfalfa pellets (the smallest rabbit kind) is what you will look for.

Ducks are SUPER fun but VERY messy... if you've got a big pond that will be ideal though. They are great because they will scavenge for bugs... they LOVE slugs!

Enjoy!

Andrea

I think Mazuri makes duck pellets. Actually I'm like 95% sure they do and its called "waterfowl" something or another. There's other companies that make similar products. From what I understand about the pelleted fowl feeds is they're a complete formula. Thats what I know at least from cashiering at a feed store lol I'm sure theres some great duck care websites out there

I used to raise Dutch Hook Bill ducks... loved those ducks. Now down to just one Cayuga

Mazuri, does make some of the best duck food out there but it can be spendy. Any Waterfowl food will do, along with rolled oats, so they don't get "angel wing". Mix the oats in with the duck food, three to one... one part would be the oats.

You can see my ducks on this site... my old Farm was, Autumn House Farm.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Hooks/BRKKroms.html

This site also has very good info on how to care for ducks.
default_wink.png

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingDucklings.html

That ever you do, don't feed them medicated chick starter.

Have fun, can't wait for photos!

Last edited by a moderator:
MA,,,you live in OREGON and you want to know who has ducks?!!!!!!!

WE ALL HAVE DUCKS

GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_laugh.png
:OKinteresting
default_laugh.png

We have raised Ducks, Geese, and Swans since 1962 (father in law and husband) and feed 17% chicken layer pellets. The only time we feed Mazuri is when we have North American Ruddy ducklings. The Ruddys and Marble Teal are feed 20% chicken layer pellets from about Feb-June for better egg production.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Ruddy_Duck

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Marbled_teal

We also raise Wood Ducks, Green Wing Teal, Ring Teal, Cinnamon Teal, Laysan Teal, Mandarin, Fulvous Whistling Duck, Black Belly Whistling Duck, and others.

Rougeaus Waterfowl in Orange Texas raising and selling ducks for Duck Fanciers.

Call me if you need info 409-745-3917

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all you input! It really helped.

Right now our new ducky couple are eating some alfalfa pellets and waterfowl crumbles. We've also added an extra rubber tub of water.

Danna, you are too funny........ I agree with Shari -- Ouy.
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back