Good news on Kody! *Further Update*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
I've kept pretty quiet because for the first week I was gone all I heard from my mom in our nightly phone calls was that Kody's stifles were as bad as we've ever seen them with no sign of improvement at all. He could barely move around his stall because they wouldn't unlock and he was even dragging a toe on his walks, something he's never done. We kept reminding each other that he's always at his worst when he's been stalled so we shouldn't expect anything else, it's supposed to take 4-12 days to show any improvement, etc. etc., but as each day went by we were getting more and more discouraged. Kody himself was apparently bright and cheerful, but he was about the only one! :eek:

Finally on Friday (seven days after his surgery) I asked Mom how he was and she hesitated, then very cautiously admitted that she thought, possibly, maybe, just possibly, he might be a little better. We both tried not to get our hopes up or think too much of it and went on our separate ways for another 24 hours. Saturday I called her and in a voice of cautious optimism she said she was now more sure he was improving although he was still locking up merrily. Improvement was only evident in the fact that he was now able to get unlocked on his own and was no longer dragging a toe, but hey! It was something. Sunday I called her from the airport and she said he seemed to be continueing to improve but she wasn't sure how much was her imagination and didn't want to say too much more until I saw him for myself. I promptly dragged my tired tail out to the barn as soon as I got home (suffering distinctly from jet lag) and endured the Wrath of Kody and a major hurt look and cold shoulder from Spyderman, both of whom were far too upset with me to allow a close examination. Kody did seem better though as he was no worse than he usually is in his pasture after a week+ of stall confinement with no turnout at all.

On Monday afternoon I got out to clean his stall and feed and found he was definitely, unmistakably improving. While he isn't using his hind legs much either from discomfort or perhaps a habit of expecting them to lock, the left leg was rarely locking and the right leg (by far the worst) was actually going a few steps at a time without locking. By the time I got him out for his second 15 minute walk of the day at about 10PM I even observed him backing a step or two without locking! :aktion033: That's pretty much a miracle right there compared to the last two weeks. He was walking out without locking up and I even watched him stop to graze and then move on without catching at all a couple of times. I'm not letting myself get too excited at this point but I tell you if this continues and actually becomes a permanent state of affairs I'm going to be so happy I'll cry. Kody wasn't mad at me anymore by yesterday and I had to laugh as I picked green sugar from his LikIt out of his ears, of all places. Silly boy.

So keep your fingers crossed for us guys! It took eight to ten days to see any improvement but there's reason to hope now and with your continued prayers we'll see this through. Kody is supposed to get his stitches out on Thursday and on Friday can be turned out in a small pasture for the next two weeks as he begins his cavaletti rehab. I'll keep you updated!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update, Leia...and tell Kody we're all pulling for him, even ornery Mingus.

I have to admit that, reading your story, I did a bit of a double-take after misreading one line.

Instead of:

"I picked green sugar from his LikIt out of his ears"

I read:

"I licked green sugar from his LikIt out of his ears"

Ewwwww...Needless to say, I nearly lost my coffee...

Here's to continued improvement!

:new_shocked: Oh great, now I can't read it as anything but "I licked green sugar from his PickIt...." Eww!

Leia

This is great to hear Leia! We are still pulling for him over here in Montana :aktion033:

SUSANNE!!! I am NOT supposed to laugh out loud like that at work...it draws attention to the fact that I am not working on a web page. :eek:

Lickin' the Pickit!

Leia, I am SO GLAD to hear about Kody's improvement! That is wonderful, terrific, news!

Susanne.... no fair!! I was drinking hot apple cider!!!! :lol:

Leia,

Sounds like he is on the mend. I know a couple of Icelandic geldings that went through this too...and they did great.

FANTASTIC news!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Kari

LOL Susanne...You always make me snort (er....laugh...
default_rolleyes.gif
: )

Leia, I'm glad to hear Kody is recovering well....yay!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Yea for Kody!!!

Kudos to your Mom for taking such great care of him also....but then we all knew he was in good hands while you were gone.

I am so happy to hear he is improving, I have been wondering about him, thanks for sending the update.

I'm really glad to read this.

Pyro sends his well wishes because he knows Kody needs to be on his game for the 1.0 version of Pyro, or "the yearling terror" *LOL*

Thank you for taking the time to bring this news, and I hope he continues to improve.

Liz

Leia, glad to hear Kody is recovering as hoped and I hope the improvement continues. Kody is such a wonderful and talented little guy, I'm sure you two will continue to be a fixture in the CDE community for many years to come. Congratulations!

That is great news!! Hoping for much more daily progress from here on out --- that is supper :aktion033: :aktion033:

Yea - go KODY!!!

:aktion033: Yeah! We have been thinking about you and Kody and are so happy that he is looking so good after the surgery! We'll keep our fingers crossed that he continues to recover quickly!

Cheers,

Joanne and Fox

Oh, I'm so happy. :new_multi: Kody has continued to improve and yesterday for the first time the right stifle began to move freely instead of locking! He's still sticking pretty regularly but it isn't as noticeable and quite a few times I watched him take steps where he should have locked...and he didn't. :488: He will get his stitches out on Friday and as soon as my poor dad can find a spare minute from work deadlines we'll block off a smaller section of his paddock and turn him loose. Lacking the guidance of my surgeon (who is currently out of town) I'm going to listen to my instincts and hold off on the cavaletti work for another day until he's been out and had a chance to loosen up from his stall confinement. I can tell he needs it and it'll be good for him, but he still seems a little sore and cautious about using those hind legs for now and it won't hurt to give him another day to begin to believe they won't lock. I'm not sure I believe they won't lock!
default_wacko.png
:

Besides, that way I can continue my little scientific experiment. With him stuck in the stall I KNOW any improvement is strictly from the surgery. Once he's turned out, I lose that control. I'd like to at least see if I can tell what is continued medical improvement and what is from exercising him by separating those two variables. (Sorry, I'm an engineer's daughter. I can't help it! :bgrin )

Keeping fingers crossed and hoping we don't lose power in the big windstorm they're predicting for tonight,

Leia

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

i am so glad to read this!

Looking forward to seeing Kody show off his moves in Liberty next year, as well as all his CDE adventures, and just knowing he can enjoy himself without feeling restricted due to his stifles. I can tell the whole thing annoyed him no end, because he really WANTS to do everything, but they hamper him!

Thanks for keeping us posted, this is helpful to me to read what you're going through if, ever, I have a horse that goes through this (I would think for anyone considering it, too).

Continued best wishes (Pyro was sad that you picked the sugar out of his ears, he said he would have chewed it off, no problem!).

Liz

Go, Kody!

I just wish we had some warm, dry weather for him to lie down and stretch out in when he gets to go out...but then, he may wait on that anyway. I relate well to any creature who knows how to truly appreciate a good nap!

We're supposed to have the high winds already -- not as bad as on the coast, but still considerable -- but I haven't even seen the trees moving. Cross my fingers, knock on wood, hope...

Liz, tell Pyro there is still plenty of sugar aaaallll over his head if he wants to come nibble. Hey, I've got three functioning stalls now! LOL.

Susanne, you know few appreciate a good nap as thoroughly as Kody but somehow I think that's going to be the last thing on his mind when I turn him out. :lol: The good news is that Kody also has a real thing for winter storms and loves to stand out in them getting soaked and watching the trees sway so he, at least, will enjoy this! We've already got leaves going horizontal here and the lights flickering. It's definitely going to be a stormy day, if not an actual windstorm.

Mona, Geri, Daryl, Joanne, and everyone else- thank you!

Leia

The trees have now started moving, but its still not too bad. In our little hilly pocket, windstorms either miss us entirely or are devastating.

Everyone around here (horsewise, that is) loves to run and buck when the wind blows. I just worry about the remaining alders and am thankful the ground is not yet too saturated.

I'm glad the weather is so accommodating, giving Kody a good show during his convalescence!

Latest posts

Back