Good Horse Husbandry Skills

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
I know there are a few things I go to extremes on. I know not everybody thinks that feed bucket handles are the spawn of Satan and outlaw them in their stalls. I know there are a hundred different farms with a hundred different feed programs, so be it. There are things that there are no right or wrong on, as long as the result is a healthy animal.

It just seems like there is so much disregard for common sense horse husbandry skills that should be common practice. I don't know if its the fact that I am being a cranky old fart or if I am just sick of hearing certain things and shaking my head.

Please add your dos and don'ts to the list, even if they are a bit off the wall like my anti bucket handle campagne.....

Some of the things I do

Am I the only one that keeps new horses seperate from the herd, in quarantine, "just in case".

I put a new horse in quarantine for (at least) 10 days, yes they can see eachother, but no common fence, no sniffing noses, no sharing hay or buckets.....Longer quarantine if they come down with something

worm any new horse when it steps off the trailer (unless it was wormed when it was put on the trailer)

worm any horse leaving the property to go to training, new home, or leaving for any length of time (and yes worm regularly otherwise)

feet, I do them myself, but I do have a farrier incase there is a special needs horse, with that one said, unless a horse is on very hard soil or rocky ground, I don't buy the "he/she only has to have her feet done 1-2x's a year, this is not typical

I don't place hoses inside a new horses bucket when I fill it, "can you say cross contamination?"

Halters, brushes, leads for a new horse are not shared

Vaccinations, annually, period ( I know not everyone vaccinates)

teeth, annually, or sooner if needed, but only after they have been boostered for vaccines (tetnus).

If I am summoned to another farm to lend a hand and have been doing stall work or dealing with a not so nice environment, I wash my shoes, or spray down my muck boots with an antibacterial cleaner. I have even been known to change my clothes too.

Upon being to other farms/outings with others horses, I wash my hands before handling my horses.

If I have a horse that has arrived/came back/ or came down with an illness,I spare others my agony and am respectful enough to keep my horses on the property, even if I have been planning to attend an event.

poop, I make sure the stalls are clean when the horses are put away in the evening. God forbid, the one night I do not clean the stall, the horse will colic and I won't be able to tell if they passed manure or not, this is Murphy's law.

Speaking of poop, I check it out to see if they are passing enough and if they are getting enough fluids.

Maybe I am just a head case, sometimes I just read things and cringe. Don't even get me started on time appropriate milestones like when it is appropriate to jump them, drive them, breed them, let a small kid sit on them, .......

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband would love you !!!

I am afraid I am not as tidy as you are , but would like to be. I do worry though . I read an interesting article in Horse magazine about the horse ownerthat washes everything with anti bacterial... the thought was that it eliminates the oppertunity for the horse to build up a resistance to harmless bacteria. I personally feel a lot better knowing that my water buckets are filled with crystal clear clean water, and the stall is fresh and clean...so I like the way you keep your horses
wink.gif

things I dislike...

the overuse of medicines given by owners without speaking to a vet first ( like giving a horse "Bute"or "Banamine " because he looks a little OFF"
wacko.gif

I dont like halters that are on too tight, horses left in small stall boxes for more then 10 hours, horses treated like a barbie doll so they wont break a tail hair ...(god forbid)

People using training aids without understanding how to use it properly

Tieing stallions at shows to the inside of their pen railing ALL DAY LONG

people not giving a proper turn out for show horses to run and play like a real horse ( back to the issue of possible breaking a tail hair, and or getting a little bloat for the day

SKINNY SHOW HORSES that look like the models in the fashion magazines

people that dont applaude at shows or support their fellow horse enthusiast at the shows
sad.gif

and my #1....

PEOPLE WITH 20,000 AND 30,000 $$$ HORSES THAT SHOW THE SAME DANG HORSE SHOW AFTER SHOW , SCHOOLING SHOW OR NOT AND TAKE ALL THE RIBBONS. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE A PROFESSIONALLY TRAINED 30,000 $ HORSE TO A SCHOOLING SHOW !!!ITS NOT FAIR TO THE POOR GAL THAT ONLY HAS A 2,000 $ HORSE THAT DOESNT HAVE A SOLARIUM, AND TRED MILL, AND PERSONAL TRAINER.

I really despise these people that need those ribbons , because a room full of them is not enough. They feel the need to go to an amature schooling show and take those ribbons too... then they dont clap or support the 2nd 3rd and 4th place winners...you know who you are , there is one at every show, one in every small club. You people make me sick, and ruin it for the rest of us, when you walk by people roll their eyes at you behind your back because they find your need to win nausiating !
yes.gif

One thing I have learned in my 50 (egad!) years with horses is that no two people will agree on everything in terms of their husbandry.

Some things I am fanatical about:

I NEVER leave halters on horses that are not tied, being lead, or otherwise watched like a hawk (e.g. new foal in stall with mom).

Like Carolyn, I am very careful about changing clothes - especially boots - and washing hands when I - OR ANY OF MY HELPERS - come from a place where there are other horses.

Ours get fed 4 times a day and all are on daily wormer. Stalls only get cleaned once a day though, except foaling stall.

We handle all our horses and make sure they have good manners. Our new farrier keeps complimenting me on how well behaved our minis are.

At shows, we always keep our distance from other horses. Oh, and we do try to be considerate of competitors in the RARE instance when we have a horse that has been very successful in certain classes and does not need more points for anything.

Now, I am also one who feels that horses need to be horses and I think they are healthier and happier in turnout/run-in situations. As a matter of fact, I believe that my 24 year old big horse (kept separate from the minis) is only alive today after surgical removal of 30 feet of small intestines because he is out 24/7, with access to a stall.

I'm with you on most of your points but I take it a step farther.

I keep them separate for 14 days.

I disenfect the trailer after every use.

The poop in their pens is cleaned up weekly.

I only deworm after getting a fecal test done to find out what they have.

That goes for big and mini horses. What can I say, I'm a freak!

I agree with many things already said...

things I dislike...

I dont like halters that are on too tight,
One of my biggest pet peeves is halters that are so loose (or improperly fitted) that they hang down low and are just above the horse's nostrils.

Forgot to add one that drives me insane. Staking a horse out. It doesn't matter that you have done it in the past without issue, it doesn't matter that Grandpa, Aunt Jean or cousin Jose' always did/does it, it is an accident waiting to happen. It doesn't matter how fancy or smart a horses foot work is. Hand graze them, fence it in, buy some livestock panels that can be moved around, I don't care, I just hate seeing a horse staked out. Its never a problem until it is a problem.

So much seems to fall on deaf ears when great advice is given (more recently than not), hopefully this post will be helpful or at the very least make some think twice before they attempt to introduce, handle or manage their horses.

Which reminds me of another one: Store your grain where there is NO chance of your minis getting into it, even if it makes it more inconvenient for you. In our case, we do not store grain in the section of the barn the horses are in. To get to the grain they would have to escape from their fencing, get through the big horse fencing, and then open a huge (latched) sliding door into an upper level of their barn.

Pet peeve: People who do not clean their trailers between uses. How can folks just let all that manure and urine and old hay sit there?!
default_smileypuke.gif
Not only is it nasty, not only does it present a health risk for the horses the next time you load them, but it rots your floorboards! It's just gross. I don't disinfect unless someone poops on a wall or something, but I sure as heck muck it out.
default_wacko.png

Another pet peeve: Dirty stalls when I arrive at a show. The stalls at the local fairgrounds can be DISGUSTING sometimes with diarrhea all down the walls and the stalls at one CDE I go to always need to be picked before I can put my horse in there. Sometimes there's entire piles of someone else's old hay! This doesn't seem to bother anyone else but it makes me crazy. The last thing I need the night of a major competition is my horse colicking from getting moldy hay or a type of hay he is not used to. (I let my horse travel a short distance loose in a dirty trailer once with someone else's horse and old hay on the floor and sure enough, he got gas colic that night. Never again!)

I agree 100% on the no-turnout thing. Horses are HORSES and are meant to live as such. Sure it bugs me that my show colt is getting bite marks all over his neck from playing with my older gelding but I'm not going to make him miserable and neurotic by keeping him all by himself just to keep him "show ready." I'll admit I've used his blanket as a handy bite-shield and am considering making him some sort of leather neck guard like pony horses on the track wear, but we won't mention that! *LOL* (Kody really is a land-shark. He has a grip a bulldog would envy and always goes for the middle of the neck where it shows the most!
default_new_shocked.gif
)

I don't like using poisons like dewormers more often than is necessary so I do regular fecal counts and deworm preventatively if they've been grazing at shows or parks or other likely points of exposure.

Trying to protect a horse from itself drives me nuts. I do not GET the whole "wrap them in bubblewrap" thing for either kids or horses! They're gonna get boo-boo's. It happens. I wear a helmet and so will my kids, and horses and children will both get knee pads when doing strenuous sports that require them but most of the time I'm going to let my "kids" of either variety be kids. I'm a firm believer that playing in the dirt is good for you as long as you use common sense.
default_wink.png

I rarely get out to other barns but if I have a bad feeling about the conditions there or a horse I've touched I will wash and change before approaching my own horses.

My biggest thing as far as husbandry is that the horse be HAPPY. Some horses are not happy without their five color-coordinated tail wraps and meals on a to-the-minute schedule and others, like mine, cannot stand being wrapped up and kept out of the rain. What's right for that individual horse is what makes them happy, and often that is simply what they're used to. As long as the horse is content I'm not going to question the owner's method of horse-keeping. I get sick to my stomach walking in a high-dollar barn where every horse turns their back to you as you just know they are miserable and see people as the enemy. On the other hand I've seen shacks the horses are completely thrilled to live in as the entire feel of the place is warm and homey. It's all in the feel of the place.

Leia

default_laugh.png
I think you'd like to visit my place, Carolyn.
default_smile.png

I have only five horses, but they get pretty good care. Some are a bit plumb from grass, which I'm working at by closing off pastures, leaving out the grain, and giving less hay at night. And it's not happy I strive for, it's contentment. I'm pretty particular about when they're fed, and stalls must be cleaned every morning. If I have a 7:00 appt an hour away, I'll get up at 4:00 to make sure stalls are cleaned and limed and stall water buckets are emptied. I haul a lot of water and make sure there's a bucketful in every open pasture all summer. If I wouldn't drink it--they don't drink it. Pastures are cleaned daily--only exceptions are pouring rain, lightning, or a snow storm.

Turn out is never less than 12 hours a day--longer if the weather is cooperative. Stalls are huge--smallest is 6.5' by 11' and the two biggest are 8' by 13'. This eases my mind if they need to stay in for some reason. The youngest are never stalled all night--a door is secured open so they can wander in the barn to stretch growing legs.

My husband and I rasp hooves on the older three, but the farrier always does foals from 2 weeks to 2 years. I'm not taking any chances. I like knowing he's coming every 8 weeks in case we have a question on the ones we do.

We get fecal checks to avoid regular dewormers. Vaccines are annually, and I've switched to 3-way, from 5-way.

Halters are only on if a horse is being worked. I see many halters on pastured horses and it makes me cringe.

There are run-ins in every pasture--it's another pet peeve of mine to see horses out without one. It's 88 here today and I've seen several on a drive.
default_sad.png

Banaine is always in the fridge--just in case. I also keep ProBios and StressDex--just in case. First aid kit is always handy.

When I had pregnant mares, no kids could come from another horse farm and I visited NO horse farms.

And I spent my birthday money on a third fan so there's now one inside the run-in area in the barn if they care to use it. The other two are directed on stalls.

Even with five, every horse gets "worked" at least twice a week--a walk, lunge, obstacle work--and handled daily.

Yeah--they're content.
default_yes.gif

This I see at a ton of shows that kids in 4H or other shows in the summertime. A horse that is tied up to the trailer and has nothing to drink! Kids don't tend to their horses because they are to busy socializing! Grrr that one burns me to no end.

For me it is the Shake and Bake in the arab industry. Why sure BNT go ahead and shake that horse all up I don't mind you doing but for goodness sake do you have to let the horse show his butt to my three year old hormone driven stud? He was standing quietly till you showed up.

Kids on horses and no helmets. I am not talking 8 yr olds I am talking teeeny tinny little ones who ride with mom or dad on trail rides. Not only is your kid going to fall asleep but what are you going to do if that horse starts to fall down the side of a hill maybe your a moron for doing something stupid but do you have to include jr. there to your stupidity?

Ohhh let me pet the cute little baby horse reaching with fingers that is screaming for my mini to bite you. They don't ask they just start walking forward and grab the nose. Heck no wonder he bit you! how do you like it if I grab your nose. <I actually did this grab a kid by the nose> AB my then arab stallion blew snot all over a kid after the kid grabbed his nostrils. I don't mean a light blow I mean a covered you everywhere with snot and goo blow!

Last but not least Exhibitors remember the private space rule. If you are going to be in my horses private space while I am trying to set up for the judge I will not be responsible for your brain injury if my horse decides to kick you. GIVE ME SPACE

Carla and Spike who says *mother has spoken!*

Which reminds me of another one: Store your grain where there is NO chance of your minis getting into it, even if it makes it more inconvenient for you. In our case, we do not store grain in the section of the barn the horses are in. To get to the grain they would have to escape from their fencing, get through the big horse fencing, and then open a huge (latched) sliding door into an upper level of their barn.
Even then they have a contest on who can get thru moms obstacle course! Gee sounds too easy
whistling.gif

Carla and Spike who says *wonder if there is a plastic surgeon who can give me opposable hooves?*

Latest posts

Back