Golly... What to do, What to do....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hill Haven Farms

Reaction score
The ONLY surviving foal from this season was born April 12th...He was 2 1/2 weeks overdue and ran out of room in his momma's maiden belly. He was still small.. 17.5" tall, 17lbs...but she is on the more refined side and is 30" tall. Dad is refined as well, standing at 30.5" The vet checked him and said that he appearedf "windswept". His left side is more correct, with right side the most effected. He literally is walking on his outside posterior portion of his pasterns and fetlocks. We have been bandaging his legs 2x a day to prevent pressure soars with the hopes of him getting stronger. He has come up better in the front left, but both hind ankles/fetlocks are still super weak. He can walk and nurse, but he isn't putting any pressure on the sole of his hoof.. its all on the lateral/outside wall.

He still had the "bumper" pads until yesterday, when I had to literally cut them out/off. My vet applied 1/2 moon type shoes on all 4, that extend out the back for some leverage, but he still can support the lateral movement and both hind ankles "fold" or fall to the outside.

My vet wants to do periosteal stripping, first of the week, but I feel a bit leary... At this point, I am in debt to my vet from this really HORRIBLE foaling season (losing 3 foals and a mare)....that I don't want to create more of a bill, but don't want my lil' guy to suffer or have permanent damage. He is correct in every other way.... leggy, refined,fantastic personality....

Some tell me that it takes time.... If so.. how long is ok to wait? Or do you wait?

Is surgery really that bad? Any suggestions for splinting or providing dorsolateral support for some tiny hooves?

Thank you in advance... i would be so lost without you all! Thanks again!

I am so sorry for the horrible year you have had. From what I have read on this surgery its really important to do it at the right time and shes so young. That will be a hard call. In the articles I read I have not seen one that young have it done but I am no vet for sure
default_smile.png
did you have xrays done?

Can you post pictures?

I know most of the farms that have had this happen say they leave the foals alone and they get much better on their own (without braces etc) but maybe your colt is more severe? Hard to picture in my mind without a picture.

Not being a vet and not seeing pictures I really am not the one to comment. However I did want to mention to you a product by Progressive Feeds. It's called Rejuvinaide Plus.

Last year they ran a special and sent out a smaller bottle (which would last a mini forever) free. I would contact them and explain your situation and and ask if they would send you one of the sample bottles.

It is amazing stuff and is ideal for this. Perhaps others will comment if they used it. Maybe start a new thread and ask for people to report on it. I know in the past others on here have stated how it helped them so much in similar situations. Within a couple of weeks you see amazing results.

We had a windswept foal born a mini and and it was a bit scary to look at
default_new_shocked.gif
We left him alone and let him excersice as he chose to and within about 3 weeks he was hugely improved and by about a month old he was straight as can be in fact he has shown and held his own in halter

We also had a windswept filly years ago. Our vet had us extend her legs and then sweep our hands down the front, stretching the leg as we went. Twice a day, I believe. She was fine in about three weeks and then was able to be turned out. Grew up fine, even showing her!

shadow1.jpg

I would wait.

I am one of the ones who would advise you to leave the legs alone. It is a scary leap of faith, but it pays off in the end. However carefully and well you bandage or brace you will, eventually, get horrible sores caused by the bandaging, and the foal will get better in spite of this, not because of it.

I think sometimes Vets feel they have to advise you to do something, just to keep you busy!

I would, honestly, leave the foal to grow on it's own.

Had a foal born many years ago with 1 hind leg so badly bent at the hock I was sure it was broken-stuck out like a little bird with a broken wing(named her Birdie)Vet x rayed-told us stall rest.She was in a long stall&would race up &down leg sticking out to the side.Turned her out all day and she raced around.Several weeks later she was straight as could be.Went on to be shown.Another case- severe front leg angulation and club footed.Surgery of cutting flexor tendons didn't improve him&eventually had to put him down due to atrophy of front shoulder muscles.Another case- colt way down on pasterns.Had farrier apply Vettec(product similar to salon acrylic nails for women)Product hardens just like a hoof.Forced hoof to be in correct angle until tendons and muscles grew and strengthened enough to hold foot properly.Kept it on until it eventually grew out and was trimmed off by farrier.Used same product on dwarf whose feet rolled in and back badly.Started out with him with a toilet paper roll as mild support daily while he went out to play.He graduated to a doggy split which is serated on 1 side and foam lined and has cupped end for paw.Break so there is a short and a long piece.Figure out which way you need to straighten put, hoof in long paw part and short piece on off side.Use velcro to hold and remove at night.So much of the work is just trial and error.I have also done physical therapy by just stretching the legs and holding in correct position several times daily.Keep us posted on your little guy's progress.

I know of several cases of windswept foals in big horses- they all look horrific , they were advised to do nothing and it worked , some took longer than others but they all came right

Latest posts

Back