Gold Seal Miniature Horse Registry

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeandHumble

Reaction score
My friends picked up a miniature driving mare that they thought I would like. I do like her, she is beautiful. She came with a temporary cert of registration to the Gold Seal Miniature Horse Registry Corp. I have never heard of this registry before. Could someone please give me some information on the registry?

Thanks

Those papers are good for lining the kitty litter box.

I personally have never heard of that registry....i did try to look around a bit to find out some info...and it is a lagit reg.(i think)as i did find other minis reg. with it...but i really didnt/couldnt find any info about it....sorry...

Gold Seal Miniature Horse Registry Corp.

4001 Webster Rd.

Summersville WV 26651

ph: 304-872-0493 /877-777-8317 | fx: 304-872-0499

From what I can recall, this is a registry created by a farm that was disenchanted with the two "real" registries, and so they dropped those registries & created their own. There are a very limited number of Gold Seal registered horses, and the Gold Seal papers will get you virtually nothing in terms of showing, sale value, etc.

If you would be happy with a grade / unregistered horse and like this one, then go for it. 99.99% of the miniature horse enthusiasts wouldn't but a penny of worth into those papers (ditto for WCMHR papers...). But you can enjoy a mini that doesn't have papers. It depends on your goals. What I "need" registered minis for is to breed registered foals and to show at registry shows (as well as to place much monetary value on them). That said, my first mini I got in 1999 (not my first horse) and still own, love and enjoy does not have papers. He's the only one without them, but he's as worthwhile to us emotionally as any of the others!

Those papers are good for lining the kitty litter box

Littleum is more polite than me. I was going to say "butt wipe"

George, that little mare is as good as non-registered.

Those papers aren't worth a hill of beans. Sorry. Stick with AMHA+AMHR which are real regsiteries.

I didn't think the papers meant much. The good news is the mare is beautiful, drives and was bought cheap; a friend bought her for my partner and I.

The story on the basically non registered mare.

My neighbor and friend went to the New Holand PA sale. He called to tell us that there was a beautiful AMHA/AMHR mare due to foal in Sept and wanted to know if we wanted her. We trust him and his girlfriend very much so told him yes (his girlfriend, didn't go to this sale). When oor friend was leaving the sale he went to the barn to get the AMHA/AMHR mare and happened to take the wrong mare. He said the mare he was supposed to take looks identical to the one he took by mistake just fatter in the stomach. He neglected to notice the mare he took didn't have a baby belly because he'd been on the road for hours and then at the sale for hours and had several more hours of driving to get home. He got a call two hours into his drive to tell him he'd taken the wrong horse. He met the real buyer of the horse and ended up buying her from him. The miniature mare he had bought was still at the sales barn and it was decided that he had to come home because of other obligations and the real mare would be cared for at the barn and my friend would pick her up (Tomorrow she'll be picked up). So, I guess if you go to a sale and you're tired have someone else (who isn't tired) help you with the horse you bought so you don't take a less expensive one LOL

The story on the basically non registered mare.
My neighbor and friend went to the New Holand PA sale. He called to tell us that there was a beautiful AMHA/AMHR mare due to foal in Sept and wanted to know if we wanted her. We trust him and his girlfriend very much so told him yes (his girlfriend, didn't go to this sale). When oor friend was leaving the sale he went to the barn to get the AMHA/AMHR mare and happened to take the wrong mare. He said the mare he was supposed to take looks identical to the one he took by mistake just fatter in the stomach. He neglected to notice the mare he took didn't have a baby belly because he'd been on the road for hours and then at the sale for hours and had several more hours of driving to get home. He got a call two hours into his drive to tell him he'd taken the wrong horse. He met the real buyer of the horse and ended up buying her from him. The miniature mare he had bought was still at the sales barn and it was decided that he had to come home because of other obligations and the real mare would be cared for at the barn and my friend would pick her up (Tomorrow she'll be picked up). So, I guess if you go to a sale and you're tired have someone else (who isn't tired) help you with the horse you bought so you don't take a less expensive one LOL
Woah! Sounds like the management at the sale was not very good to let someone out with the wrong horse. Glad they finally got it straightened out.

Woah! Sounds like the management at the sale was not very good to let someone out with the wrong horse. Glad they finally got it straightened out.
I'm sure there were a lot of red faces but it all worked out for everyone. I've been to a lot of auctions in my life and I have never had anyone check to make sure what I was taking was what I bought. I think in most cases people wait till the end of the auction and everyone goes to the pens at once to get what they've bought; I would think it would be too hard to keep track of everyone and every animal. I am sure people may have questioned my friend had he not taken a horse that sold for much less than what he paid for the one he bought for me. Since he did take the wrong horse, he actually ended up buying two horses that day that I had to pay for LOL

I used to work the back gate at an auction in CA as a teen. We checked everything that left the gate. Papers and animal. They do paste on those darn numbers that matt in the hair so bad.

The original poster did say that the sale was the New Holland sale; from what I've always heard and read, it does NOT have the best of reputations, so not so surprising management would be sloppy....

I just acquired an "Over" sized mini, who has no papers at all. I wanted a solid, powerful horse of VSE size to trail, pleasure, and possibly, 'for fun' CDE and ADT type driving, and he should be that...and papers wouldn't matter one whit for that purpose! I think (not sure, haven't read their rulebook lately)he would qualify for Pinto papers, and I *MAY* consider getting those,if so.

IF I want a registered mini, I'll stick to one of the two 'legitimate' Miniature Horse registries; otherwise, nowadays, it's not on my 'list of requirements', IF the horse is a useful animal.

Margo

FYI -- the farm that started Gold Seal was large and well known in AMHA/AMHR at the time. But, the pullout from AMHA was over the fact that membership voted in DNA required as part of registration requirements ..............
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif

I will go no further but was very MUCH in favor of DNA and worked to support it.

Just a few months ago a new person showed me their new breeding stallions papers. They were all excited about the "deal" they got. When I saw the Gold Seal papers my heart sank for them. The seller had told them they could transfer those papers to AMHA. I told them that was not possible and the only way was to hardship him but they didnt believe me. Guess they will find out when AMHA has to tell them

See, what Kay just now pointed out is my biggest gripe about Gold Seal and more so WCMHR (b/c I think that has more papers floating around). People get duped into thinking they bought "really registered" minis only to be heart broken when they find they can do absolutely nothing real with those WCMHR and Gold Seal papers
default_no.gif

Oh hey guys I had a lovely lady here who purchased two registered mares in foal that had a "famous world champion" stallion for a sire. This is how he is advertised too. hmmmmmm

She said, "You should breed your mares to him".
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

"Oh really? Tell me more":

Well get this: The famous world champion was champion of his COLOR CLASS he won at a local open show at his county fair, and also happened to have World Class registration papers.
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif

Now this ticks me off something pitiful. This newbie just got screwed to the tune of $1500 bucks EACH for horse with bogus papers and BS for the sire being all famous........ugh! When she should have come to my farm first and I would have been more than truthful about my stock, oh......who aren't "champions" but they happen to have real papers.

I'm lucky, I ended up not paying too much for the Gold labeled mare. I had someone offer to buy her two days after I got her but we like her so decided to keep her for driving. If I'd paid $1,500 for her I might be upset but don't know for certain since to me an animal, registered or not, is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I'd have paid more for the mare even though she is unregistered because she is a nice mare, pretty and she drives so that's worth what I ended up paying for her. We had an empty stall and could afford to give her a good home so she is here to stay.

Ok guys we got off topic here a bit.

I'll be the first one to admit that papers don't make the horse and horses don't need paperwork to deserve love and a good home. In CMHR we get a lot of good horses that no one wants because they have no paper work but it doesn't make them any less of a good animal; it just limits them in some areas.

George, I guess you got your answer about the registry. So many of us have been taken down before hook line and sinker for so many reasons we don't like to see it happen to anyone so glad you asked about the registries now and understand it.

The good news is that you like and appreciate your new little girl and you are thrilled with her and that is really all that matters. She is lucky to have found you. The fact that she drives is the icing on the cake and since you won't be breeding her or showing at rated shows papers don't matter at all. She doesn't need papers if you ever decide to take her to a local open show or enter a parade or visit a nursing home; she still has much to offer. Do by all means and watch her health in case she may have picked up a bug though at that auction, it happens. It would have been a good idea to quarenteen her for ten days from your others.

Best of luck with her and I am sure when you need driving help, everyone here will be anxious to offer it.

By the way if anyone is wanting a unregisterd horse that is trained to ride and drive, CMHR has one!

And also a big hackney pony 2 year old! Just hollar at me!

Oh my, I would LOVE a hackney pony....
default_sad.png

And while I wouldn't breed an unregistered mini, my very favorite, best mini I have is unregistered. Two of ours are. They are phenomenal CDE minis, one is mine and one is hubby's
default_smile.png
Chili, mine, is the horse in my avatar
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back