Going Natural

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tab

Reaction score
Just to save my clipper blades I have opted to leave extra mane and have not clipped heads and bridle paths as often. I notice the taller refined minis can get away with being more fuzzy and natural. Some minis just looking thelwell ponies unclipped. What do you like/do with your fuzz bugs? Do you love the natural look or does it drive you crazy? Pics would be great!

I have a friend who clips bridle paths and heads all winter long. She just can't stand the look of either area being overgrown. I'm not crazy about it but I'm too lazy to do that! LOL! I do love how my girls look with a cleaned up head and bridle path.

Actually, I think some of the larger small horses can get away with it because they don't get so long or coarse of a coat. When I've done it, the clipping has been a really small part of the preparation when you consider the conditioning, feeding, etc. A big reason for a close clip is to show the muscle tone on the horse. Not too many minis can look like a peeled onion in their natural state. Just remember, when you decide to go into the show ring, it's actually ALL about what the judges prefer not what you like. You can do what you like, in your own backyard -- and that can be free and with less stress and effort. But if you want to win ribbons and titles, you need to be thinking about what the JUDGES prefer. That's what you pay to learn, when you decide to show a horse.

Mine are clipped in the summer and clipped to show but in the winter, I let them become hairy monsters with no bridle paths trimmed. I think it's warmer for them that way.

No bridle path is fine. I had one like that and I kept that part of the mane braided for easy of haltering.

I like a short bridle path for mine. I keep it trimmed year round, and also beards. I prefer a tidy head even in the winter.

For show--that's a whole different animal.

I'm not speaking of the showring. Just home preference. One of the horses that comes to mind is nighthawk. My horse Lexington is a stunner with minimal grooming. He has such a lush mane.

I can't stand my horses looking hairy cruddy so I do what I can in the winter to keep them half way nice. My pet peeve is no bridle path and huge fetlock hairs hanging. I do leave some fetlock hairs for protection but you can't really tell....because I shave down instead of up and I don't shave it close at all. In this clip I neglected to say I clip under the jaw and part way up the side of the face because I can't stand beards either. .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrSq_SkNVTM

I usually just leave mine natural unless I'm taking them out for something. But if they are hanging out at home, I just let them be. Even my big horses, I didn't do bridle paths. I like them that way.

I do not mean ungroomed. And Staci, that's the way all horses were when I was a kid. I think bridle path trimming is a newer phenomenon. Although it can get unruly and out of hand and then halters don't fit. So there is a practical reason
default_smile.png
We can appreciate both, the natural stunner and the meticulously groomed. I also have found that clipping sometimes changes the horses natural shedding process the next year. I have observed that some of my horses don't shed well if they had been clipped as foals. I wish I understood why that is.

My mini mare grows a VERY thick coat during the winter and I prefer to let her natural coat grow. She was just recently clipped full body and bridle path for showing, but even if I didn't show her, usually in the middle of spring I like to clip my hairy horses for relief from the hotter temp change. If it wasn't for showing, I wouldn't give my mini a bridle path.

I have to body clip my little ones otherwise they wouldn't shed out until at least June. That gets way too hot and then their winter hair mats up from sweat even with regular grooming. I always do bridal paths because I had a case once were I let it grow out and put a halter on and it wound around the halter and rubbed my horse raw. I went to take ot off and couldn't figure out why she wouldn't let me touch by her ears then I finally saw it. As much as I would like to let them grow out naturally I am too paranoid now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want to clip my guy because he is itching everywhere thanks to his coat still being about two inches long and the weather getting into the mid-high 80s every day. My clippers just aren't strong enough but I did take scissors to his mane to trim the bridle path so I can actually find the headstall when it's on! I am starting to save up for a set of good clippers since I would like to show him at some point and I have a feeling the wooly mammoth look is not what the judges are looking for.

I do agree with horses not shedding right if they've been clipped since they were a foal. The retired Arab show gelding we have boarded here grows a freaking 3-4 inch long coat each year because he is used to Flagstaff and colder weather (owner also said it's from his Polish lines but IDK) and he would apparently shed out great until he was three and they started clipping him every year, now it takes him until late May\early June to shed out completely unless he is shaved. I feel so bad about it and it makes me worried about clipping Pippin or shows because I don't want him to go through that if I ever stop showing.

Pippin, Yes, I wish I knew why that was. Maybe it interrupts the natural shedding cycle or damages the hair follicle? This will be my 15th year in minis, so I have done my share of body clipping. It makes you really appreciative of the minis who shed well naturally and sport a great glossy coat for the summer. All good reading/great input from everyone!

You should do as you like, and not worry about it.

My gelding Mingus sheds out to a slick, shiny coat -- shorter than could be clipped with a 10 blade -- and I've shown him in AMHR shows in his natural coat. He doesn't completely shed until mid-June, however, so I have clipped him for early shows. His shedding is no different whether I do a full body clip, a ead-an-neck clip, or leave him natural.

I'm sure every judge has a different opinion, but I had one well-known judge and trainer tell me she wished people would get away from the extreme clipping and balding. Another judge saw Mingus outside the show ring (after the show) and complimented my clipping job (he was in natural coat). Different horses have different coats, and I couldn't do this with my other two, even my ASPC Classic Shetland.

The most important thing is to have a clean, healthy horse whose coat reflects his or her good health, and to do what makes you happy.

Edited to add: When I say natural, I mean natural body coat. For shows, I do trim bridle path, throatlatch, fetlocks, whiskers, and the like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine usually are natural. In the summer I usually do give them bridle paths. And the ones that have a very heavy thick mane, I do undercut them. It's so humid and hot here that I do that for their comfort.

Nort & Pooka are both sporting very long manes and forelocks, no bridle paths. Very sexy!
default_smile.png

I'm getting more and more fond of the natural look - I did clip a tiny (1") bridle path on Hawk when he was body clipped for Aggie Days and Mane Event this spring, but left quite a bit more forelock and mane than I normally would on him. I love it, I think he looks like a fairytale horse. Possibly I'm still a 6 year old girl at heart. ;-)

551294_10151366077401883_1639885367_n.jpg

if I had a full size horse it would be a Fresian.... so I guess I'm a six year old boy at heart. LOL

I love manes & tails. Won't let my wife cut her hair either!!

The one thing I'd change about Mingus is that I wish he grew a longer, thicker mane and tail. I've been told what he has is perfect for the show ring, but I'm like Kendra and Foxhaven...I love those fairytale manes and tails!

Such great views on the topic from everyone. Good reading! Kendra, Hawk is beautiful and a fairytale horse is the perfect description. I have long admired your horses, starting with Valdez. I love the idea of being a six year old at heart. Right there with you on that one!

Latest posts

Back