Going Natural

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been a very interesting discussion so far. I'm new to minis and didn't realize how common clipping them was. I'm used to my full-sized horses and since we just trail ride we just let them go all-natural other than a small bridle path on the thicker manes. I guess I will have to play around with natural vs. clipped in the future and see which I prefer on my girl. Now I do know I prefer long thick natural manes on the big ones.

I will mention this, that manes can become so thick that they can cause the crest to collapse. Sometimes thinning the mane is necessary, even if I leave a bridle path, forelock, and tail natural. Love the type of mini that can go natural. Sometimes the amount of hair overwhelms the littlest minis, though, and it will drive you crazy until it is thinned or removed. Yep, I can understand wanting to climb through a pic and groom others minis, including my own!

Around here, we wouldn't want them to shed completely until June to mid-June. We go back and forth between warm and cold so much. We can be warm in the daytime, then cool, at night, but never back to freezing, in May. Halo is almost done shedding. I can see patches of sleekness on her, but our nights have gone back down into the 40's, so I am glad she still has some to keep her warm. I was looking at her bridle path yesterday and it is getting really long. Trying to decide on just letting it go natural or not. I think she would be one, that would look very pretty, with a full mane, and I don't think it would get too thick...but only time would tell on that.

...We go back and forth between warm and cold so much. We can be warm in the daytime, then cool, at night, but never back to freezing, in May..

Especially THIS May, eh Lisa? Just last week we were wearing shorts, but last night I wore my parka when I went out to feed.

In what part of Oregon are you located? We're in Columbia County, and our horses also have sleek butts and fuzzy barrels. I did have to clip chins -- Mingus and Flash looked rather strange with their Abe Lincoln beards.

Last edited by a moderator:
This:

Was the result of going natural all winter after a summer of it clipped right to the skin. We had a bit of a tough winter, so it had to stay until february. Boyfriend refused to let me shave it and pushed me to leave it for show season because "the judges will appreciate the awesome."

It was a beautiful day when I could clip that god-awful afro!

Susanne, I am in Southern Oregon, in Jackson County. Yes, last week we hit 90 and was in shorts. Right now it is 58, with high winds, and lots of rain. You never know about Oregon, especially in Spring time. LOL Nice to see another Oregonian on here.
default_thumbup.gif

Latest posts

Back