Giving your own vaccinations

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picasso

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone gives their own vaccinations to their minis instead of going to the vet. If you do. how do you determine what the dosage is? We would still be going to the vet for Coggins and health certificates that are required here in Kentucky.

good question.

As far as the dosing, the vet takes care of that and you just go pick it up and give the shot yourself.

But HOW and WHERE you give the shot.... that is the question...

So, thanks for asking! I need an answer also
default_wink.png
:

I just gave my first vaccination myself last week...it was easy but nerve racking ! My vet gave my colt his first set of shots 5 weeks ago and boy his leg was so sore the next day that he would hardly move. Which is why you give it in the butt and not the neck ! My vet had the shots ready , I just had to take it home and give it to him. I rub the area first to desensitize and then pop it in.. no problem. He didn't even get sore this time. You have to be careful not to get it in a vein though or instant dead horse..not good. :no: Pulling back on the plunger and getting no blood in it you are safe to go ahead with it. It saved me $ 44 on one horse...times four...extra money for horsey treats !!! :aktion033: I am concerned about allergic reactions which can be fatal in a matter of minutes and have heard of drugs to have on hand to counter act any reactions , I plan on getting those before my next attempt.
default_yes.gif
:

Edited to say that your vet can show you where to give the shot, but...in the back of the back leg ....in the thickest part of the muscle.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've never given vaccinations to either a person or an animal before, please have your vet instruct you.

Of if not a vet, then a vet tech.

We do our own, but had both a former vet tech AND our vet look over our shoulders and teach us. (I STILL hate doing them!)

Doses for vaccines are the same for minis as for full-sized horses. However, we use smaller needles. I try to purchase 3/4 inch x 20's from the catalogs. And for weanlings I use 1/2 inch x 20's.

MA

Sounds silly but years ago my vet told me to practice on an orange

YOu can purchase your vaccines from catalogs it might be cheaper then getting them from the vet depending on how many you need

but like MA said have him show you how

I have had to give penicillin shots to a big horse that had a real bad infection. Our vet showed me how to give those. It was nerve racking at first, but after the first couple it wasn't too bad. But Silver sure hated to see me coming to the barn.

We have 12 horses to vaccinate this year. We only had 6 last year and it was pretty expensive. Trying to cut down on some of the expenses a little bit. But don't want to do anything dumb. That's why I'm asking questions about it here before we go that route.

All vaccinations are 1cc a piece whether it's for a full sized horse, or a mini. That's because the vaccine is targeted for the immune system, and not the animal's size. (That's the same for our Bullmastiff, and our 9" Jack Russel Terrior). As for administering them, I've done them myself for the last three years, both mine, and my mother's full sized which totaled to 30 last year. The best place to give the shot is in the hind end. There's more muscle there, but also less major veins to hit. Some horses are a bit jumpy when given shots, and I've always poked the spot several times before I stuck the needle in. Sometimes it works, but I've got two minis that I've gotta twich in order to give any kind of shot.

I have given my own shots ever since I have had minis, I learned in 4H, and then my vet also gave me some pointers, I personally like doing asm uch myself for my horsies! And since I am going to school to become a nurse, I have some "experience" with needles JK LOL
default_yes.gif
:

Our vet showed us how and where, I still have the vet do spring shots, check teeth, sheaths, quick health check, etc... then I do fall shots. I get them from the vet as well. they are within a dollar of the cat companys, and I am more certian of freshness. If I had more horses Id have the vet split them up and do some in spring and some in fall to spread the bill around some. DR.

I have done my own vaccinations for about 10 years.

You can buy a vial with 10 doses of the vaccination you are giving in it, or buy it by the single dose which will include a filled syringe. It's cheaper to buy it by the vial if you have enough horses, but I prefer to do the single doses since it's easier and my vet recommends the same size needle for the minis as the biggies.

Here is an article that can help you learn how to give shots. My vet originally helped me.

How To Give Your Horse an Intramuscular Injection

We use the vet for coggins, health certificates, gelding, tooth floating and as needed for any emergencies. We do our own vaccinations, hoof trims (after training and practice w/ the farrier), and deworming.

I vaccinate all of our horses. I mail order the vaccine in 10 dose vials, and bulk syringes and needles. I have been getting the West Nile vaccine from our vet as it was not mail order, think it is now though. I buy a 5 way vaccine and have at it every spring. We go through the entire herd, each one gets a bridle path, shot and wormer before being turned back out. The bridle path helps us keep track of who was done since we are good at forgetting sometimes. :eek:

"The best place to give the shot is in the hind end. There's more muscle there, but also less major veins to hit"

I know for every person does things different and I'm NOT trying to argue, but I was told NEVER to give my vaccines in the rear-end, or the chest, but instead to always inject in the neck muscle.

Many years ago , we used to give vaccs in the rear , but I thought this was an outdated method .

Nope our vet and us do the rear for a few reasons. More muscle, if there is an abcess it will drain better, the movement of the rear legs disperses the vaccine faster and there is less inflamation, if there is inflamation better the rear than the neck. We learned that the hard way one year. A stallion got so sore he couldn't lift his head, and couldn't even walk forwards. He was miserable for a few days and we were so sorry. Never again in the neck for us. :no:

I've done many of my own for years. Sometimes I have the vet do some if she is coming out anyway. She usually gives them in the neck - and she's extraordinarily good at it! I don't think I've ever had much of a reaction from her shots. I've tried the hind leg but haven't figured out the secret to not having a hind leg fly at you LOL. Had another vet awhile back who gave them in the chest muscle, which was a little creepy to me.

Jan

"The best place to give the shot is in the hind end. There's more muscle there, but also less major veins to hit"

I know for every person does things different and I'm NOT trying to argue, but I was told NEVER to give my vaccines in the rear-end, or the chest, but instead to always inject in the neck muscle.

Many years ago , we used to give vaccs in the rear , but I thought this was an outdated method .
Once you have a horse who gets sore from a shot in the neck and you worry if they are going to drink enough since it hurts to lower their head, you will see why so many people do not like to give a shot in the neck. Plus, the horse WILL move around if they have the shot in the rear and that helps it to not become sore, vs. the neck which isn't moved as much as the hind end.

We gave our own vaccinations and all in the rear end. There is a spot that our vet taught us that works best. I always scratched the area first so they knew where I was going to touch and as long as I did that they they rarely jumped. I highly recommend anyone that has not given a vaccine to please have your vet teach you first
default_yes.gif
:

We most of the time do it in the neck as well as my vet of course depends on the medication but for the most part that is his preferred place

A previous post stated that all vaccines are 1 cc. SO NOT TRUE!! Read the labels for each vaccine. Rabies is 2 cc for horse, but in many states this must be done by a vet due to quarantine rules if there is an outbreak.I do my shots , but HATE doing it.We do all foal shots in the butt and most others in the neck.Some reactions, but not many.In my case, most reactions have been from the shot that has the flu vaccine in it.Good luck.I am always glad when shot time is over.I order most of mine from Omaha , Jefferes or another company and always pay extra for overnight shipping.It saves lots especially when a farm call is $40 now.I do not give all shots at once either.Too much for a little system.I give the 9 way , wait a few days until I make sure there is no reaction then do the West Nile.Good luck.

Latest posts

Back