Giant dog owners - what are you feeding?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniMaid

Reaction score
We have a 5 year old great pyrenees and I'm searching for a new food. Right now he's getting Nutro Ultra but it just doesn't seem to be doing much for him. Tried Science Diet before and that didn't agree with him.... he spent years eating something from the local feed store, but they changed their formula after the recalls, so I've been trying to find something that works since then.

Any recommendations?

I have a Great Dane and two Anatolian Shepherds, and I feed Nutro Natural Choice. I don't know what the difference is between the Ultra that you've been feeding and the Natural Choice, but my dogs do really well on it, with soft shiny coats and good health. It does have Glucosamine and Chondroitin in it, which is great for the joints. I've also heard that feeding raw food can be really good but I've not tried it myself. Good luck!

I don't have any giant dogs. My biggest is our collie, Kelsey, who is about 75#. However, we do also feed Nutro Natural Choice to her and our other dogs. They get that free-choice and for dinner, they have food I make for them (barilla plus pasta + ground meat + eggs + green beans).

I don't have any large sized dogs but always used to. I feed Innova and Healthwise, and plan to when we have a big dog again too
default_smile.png

There are many quality dog foods that you could try. I like to offer a variety. Our dogs enjoy Avoderm, Natural Balance, Nature's Recipe, Natural Choice, etc. Natural Balance is the better option out of that list, as far as ingredients. These are all good foods, but not the best. Even better foods include Wellness, California Natural, Evo, Flint River Ranch, etc. Raw and home cooked diets can also be excellent. I caution to stay away from Science Diet, Ol Roy, Pedigree, Iams/Eukanuba, etc.

I have a Giant and a med sized dog. They both get Nutro Natural. They were getting Canidae but I had to change it due to alergies the vet thinks may have been an ingredient in the food. They were on Nutro Natural before the Pet Food recall and I switched to Canidae just because some of the Nutro cans were involved...so I switched totally. But now I've since switched them back to the cereal. I have to agree that this food makes their coat shiney and healthy....plus I like the Glucosamine and Chondroitin ingredients in it too. I also cook for them fresh meat during the week. Sidenote: I also give my giant GCM Plus joint tabs.

I feed my 4 year old Great Pyrenees Nutro Max. She loves it. I feed her 4 cups 1 x a day and she is fat. Of course my dad feeds her table scraps and there are the bon-bons out in the pasture...
default_rolleyes.gif

The food Chevy's breeder had been feeding all her GSD's

from puppy to adult is not available down here so we've been

trying several different varities of those made only in the US.

We just decided to go with a PMI product called Exclusive.

Ingredients are guaranteed that no part of the feed has ever

come thru China or anywhere else for that matter.

No frozen meats in it, no soy or corn that I can locate in the

ingredients.....

I'm hoping Chevy will be happy with it......he liked the samples.

I have dogs of various sizes , from toy( Havanese) up to giant( Great Dane ) and they are all on Diamond Lamb and Rice ( no corn or by products ). They all have shiney coats, good weight and full of energy. The breeder that I bought my Great Dane from had her dogs on Eagle Pak brand and they all looked good but that brand was just too hard to find in my area so I switched to Diamond and I am very pleased with it.

I have dogs of various sizes , from toy( Havanese) up to giant( Great Dane ) and they are all on Diamond Lamb and Rice ( no corn or by products ). They all have shiney coats, good weight and full of energy. The breeder that I bought my Great Dane from had her dogs on Eagle Pak brand and they all looked good but that brand was just too hard to find in my area so I switched to Diamond and I am very pleased with it.
I just recently started feeding Diamond feeds, and so far, I'm very pleased. I use the Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice, Naturals Chicken & Rice, and Senior.

Thanks for all the input - I'm making a list and will see what's available nearby.

So you know, many exceptional dog food companies (Merrick, Flint River Ranch) offer drop shipping, including companies that supply raw and homecooked supplies for dogs and cats.

We have an Anatolian who will be 16 years old in March 2008. He's been on Diamond Lamb and Rice for years. Our Collie and Corgi are also on it and everyone looks great. we buy several 50 pound bags a month (we were feeding two Anatolians until recent events.)

We did recently switch our old guy to a Senior dry food and a no-grain dehydrated food along with joint supplements, etc.

We have a giant Schnauzer (sp?) and he is happy on Nutro Max Chicken and Rice. We have also fed Diamond and we liked it as well, we had a Pyrenese and I do know that they have a tendency to have food irritations, you need to make sure if you are feeding him bagged food that corn is not one of the main ingredients.

Ideally corn shouldn't be anywhere in the food-it's indigestible by dogs and basically filler.

My little dog is currently on Canidae and loving it. If I had a big dog, I'd be feeding the same...just more of it!

Great dane here.... feeding Eagle-Power. Great stuff. Higher calories and fat content. He is so active and runs it off.

Robin

I am feeding my Pyr Eagle Dog food and he's doing really well. The formula was created my Great Dane owners so it is designed for large breed dogs.

Now, if someone could invent something so my Pyr wouldn't shed, that would be great.

Latest posts

Back