getting rid of pet odor from home

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdtexas

Reaction score
we bought a home and it has carpet that is only 6 years old, nice condition but smells very bad of dog/cat odor. We had it professionally cleaned and that helped some but still in some areas I can detect the smell.

One product that has been recommended is from Sams Club called "Odo-Ban". Is anyone familiar with it or any one have some suggestions.

It can't be just a spot treatment. I need to treat all the rooms with carpet (3 bedrooms, hallway, dining room and study.

Thanks for all suggestions. I don't want to spend money on gimmicks (and there are plenty out there) that really do not rid the house of the smell but only mask it temporarily. (one carpet cleaning company gave us a bid of about $900! ! ! well for another 900 we could put in new carpet!!

the previous owner had 2 large dogs that stayed inside along with a kitty or two.

we are trying to get the home ready for rental property. It's very nice with the exception of the pet odor.

Is it a stinky dog smell or a pee smell?

When we got our house it smelled soooo bad of cat pee, never have I smelled anything as bad.

There was no carpet thank goodness but the years of the cats/dogs peeing on the wood floor took its toll and there was no way I could get the smell out. I had to give the floor a few coats of paint to seal the smell out. Your floor is most likley not as bad as mine was.

I think it's more of a "stinky dog" smell. The carpet color is a dark sage green but in one of the bedrooms I think I can see a couple spots where perhaps the dog/cat urinated. I could spot treat those but the overall smell is stinky dog smell.

You can rent carpet cleaners and they sell stuff for them that is made for pet odors. I would try shampooing it really well a couple of times. Our next home is going to have NO carpeting. We have too many dogs and cats and I enjoy them being inside with me. I've heard that Borax is good on odors too. Good luck!

Baking soda, lots and lots of it! That is if its really 'just' icky dog smell and not urine I would rent/buy one of those odor detecting lights and hunt out spots, then go from there. This house isnt by chance near Buffalo is it? LOL Kinda described my MILs old house
default_rolleyes.gif
:

to get rid of the smell permanently you have to rip out the carpet and replace. Most things will cover the smell for a bit but it always comes back. I think cat urine is probably the worst to get rid of. we looked at a house to buy and passed because the cat urine smell was so bad. I knew every carpet would have to be replaced.

Kay is probably right about replacing the carpet - but the best thing I've found, hands down, is an enzyme product called Natures Miracle. Petsmart carries it in large and small sizes. It actually breaks down enzymes that cause the odor instead of covering up - you do have to saturate every spot that smells though, sounds like this one may be past fixing.

BTW, this stuff also gets rid of skunk odor instantly, poured it right on the dog.

Jan

Rent an ozone generator. Disaster repair places have them, or sometimes vaccum cleaner sales have them. Fire departments in larger cities have them also. Works on smoke and skunk, so I think it will amaze you!

I tried everything!

One dog kept peeing on the carpet
default_wacko.png
: , I ripped the carpets out last week and just got hardwood put in.......I had tried everything!

One good thing was bounce sheets between the carpet and the pad with baking soda

I found this stuff called Odormute that enzymatically removes odors. Seems to work pretty well. Good luck!

Thank you all for your great suggestions. We are working on remedies now. James went to walmart and found some citrus scented gel in a can and got two of them. He placed them high in an unseen area of the house and he says they are working very well. He said the ceiling fan helps move the smell throughout the house. I'll go over maybe tomorrow evening and see (a fresh nose to test it !!).

Called a friend that has a rental company about the ozone generator but he didn't know of any local rental company that rented them; he had past requests and refers folks to restoration companies.

Hopefully the gel and our cleaning will handle the stinky dog smell.

Of course it also might be that each time a vacuum is run it may bring the smell into the air again. We will see.

thank you all so much again for your help!!

Latest posts

Back