Getting Platform feeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyrose

Reaction score
I talked with the farnum dealer at the World Show because my Purina dealer was having trouble getting information.

He said they don't have to buy a large amount to get it into their store like they needed to in the past. They can get just 1 bag if they want to. Not all the dealers know this yet. The sales staff was all at the Quarter Horse Congress in October. (purina and Farnum) Its all done so they should be available to your local dealers now.

TSC or any purina dealer can order it. They just have to ask. Our local TSC had it for $13.29 a bag.

Our local TSC says I would have to order at least 5 bags of it for them to order it. I might do it since the weather is cool and it should keep well. We are feeding Platform mare and foal righ now. Mary

I talked with the farnum dealer at the World Show because my Purina dealer was having trouble getting information.

He said they don't have to buy a large amount to get it into their store like they needed to in the past. They can get just 1 bag if they want to. Not all the dealers know this yet. The sales staff was all at the Quarter Horse Congress in October. (purina and Farnum) Its all done so they should be available to your local dealers now.

TSC or any purina dealer can order it. They just have to ask. Our local TSC had it for $13.29 a bag.

I wonder if our local dealer would go for this.
default_smile.png
I was trying to find something to go with when/if I couldn't get LMF, but I love LMF an awful lot and I really try to get it above anything else. Problem is that sometimes our stores run out of it and/or I have to drive a long ways to get it so sometimes I get stuck in a pinch and have to have a bag of something on hand to alternate/mix til I can get the LMF.

Thanks for the info!

Liz

My TSC wouldn't order the Platform Miniature feed unless the order was 5 bags. It has been a week since I started feeding the miniature feed and they love it.

Carlene

I bought 3 bags last week from my Purina dealer - she was willing to order just 1 or 2 though if that's all I wanted. They didn't have it in the computer yet when I picked it up, and couldn't give me a price but I'm assuming it will be in the same ballpark as most everyone is paying.

This feed store is a big Purina dealer, carried the other Platform feeds for awhile and found they were not selling. They are very cooperative though about getting what I need.

Jan

My TSC wouldn't order the Platform Miniature feed unless the order was 5 bags. It has been a week since I started feeding the miniature feed and they love it.

Carlene
That's why I don't deal with the large feed supply stores.

My locally owned feed supply store ordered 1 bag just for me and plans on keeping one for me on hand. He knows that I buy all my farm supplies from him and he would like to keep me from shopping somewhere else, so he accomodates me. I can't say that I ever got that kind of service from TSC or SS.

So search around some of the smaller guys and see if they will accomodate you the way my feed guy has.

Not to mention, by doing this you'de be helping out the small guys, whom in my case are also farmers. :472:

I took everyone off of Omelene 200 because I felt everyone was way too fat around here and changed to Born to Win with oats. Then they got even more fat so I eliminated the oats. Then the Born to Win kept going out of stock at the Purina store.

So I called Tractor Supply and explained that I need to know before I start on Platform if they will be keeping this in stock because I have to have a supplier that I can rely on. They said they have 5 bags in stock and no one bought any of it........but if I will become a regular customer they will promise to keep it in supply for me. It's $13.29 a bag. I really worry about that because I don't want to get stuck in the middle of winter with a a snow storm on the way and find out that they are out of feed for me to stock.

Tractor Supply is much more easily in location for me and I can then get my dogs Nutro dog food there and the cat's meow mix there and have a one stop animals shopping day for me. I hope it all works out for us.

I'm all ready with the weigh scale in my tack room and soon as I am done feeding what I have here, I'm changing over. Maybe, finally, this is going to be the answer to my obese problem here.

For those that have problems with places keeping stuff in stock or ordering stuff on-time... Why don't you plan ahead and find out how much time it takes them to order and get something in, so you can keep ahead of the game.

I feed Progressive Nutrition products and my sales rep has been good to me. I decided to try another one of their products (one not usually in-stock), he only keeps 3 in-stock; I called him up, asked him about ordering it for me... How many bags at a time does he have to order? only 1 How often does he order? In winter every 2 weeks, summer once/month. How long does it take for products to arrive after ordering? 1 week if in stock, two if not. So, I ordered two bags to try it; it should be here next week, when I'll need to go get my regular monthly order. If it works for me and I like it, I'll be ordering it every month and may just plan for him to order what I need, when he makes his regular monthly orders. [initially, I'll probably have to remind, as it isn't the usual he stocks, but I'm sure eventually, he'll just keep what I need on his regular order schedule. Who knows, he may even order an extra bag or two, for if others what to try it. ]

Now, I do have to admit, I've run out a couple of times; sometimes poor planning on my part, sometimes bad timing on his part (I live 65 miles from my feed dealer, so I can't just run to town on a whim, gas is too expensive and time too short). But, there have been many times, when he has delivered my feed to my feed shed; his family lives 5 miles from me; so he has even sent my feed home with his mom and I go pick it up. What are neighbors for?
default_wink.png
: Over all, I'm extremely happy with the product and quite happy with my sales rep and the service I recieve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided I'm going to try the Platform Mini feed, and put it to the test for myself, even though I haven't been a big fan of Purina for some time now. Sounds like most are having good luck with it, and if it works for the kids, why not. I called the closest TSC to me, Appleton WI about 40 min from me, and asked them if they stock it. The man was very very nice, and said they didn't, but he would check to see if they could get some for me. I told him I only wanted 1 bag to try for now. I called on a Tuesdsay, and by Wednesday it was already in for me to pick up. I'm going in to pick it up this afternoon, and I'm anxcious to try it. So just ask, many times they can get it in for you, and pretty quickly too!
default_yes.gif
:

So I called Tractor Supply and explained that I need to know before I start on Platform if they will be keeping this in stock because I have to have a supplier that I can rely on. They said they have 5 bags in stock and no one bought any of it........but if I will become a regular customer they will promise to keep it in supply for me. It's $13.29 a bag. I really worry about that because I don't want to get stuck in the middle of winter with a a snow storm on the way and find out that they are out of feed for me to stock.

Plus, because it is pelleted feed, it won't sour nearly as fast. (Or freeze solid like a rock- I HATE sweet feed in the winter! :bgrin ) I don't know how much you can afford to spend at one time, Marty, but maybe get ten bags at first, then buy your normal amount and just rotate it out. That way if you DO get a big storm you won't have to panic about feed. Once the weather turns better, feed it up.

Lucy

Thanks Lucy (((( hugs to you ))))) that is exactly what I do, I stock up. It's too far of a drive for me just to go for one or two bags at a time. I usually will buy 6 or so bags at a time and then Sonny's feed too. I have good storage in my insuallated tack room so that is not a problem either. And I do keep an eye on the weather big time around here and make sure I keep plenty on hand just in case I'm stuck up here for weeks on end. It's happened before and I don't ever want to get caught with my pants down and run out of feed. This stuff is kinda pricey, about a dollar more than what I was paying for Omelene 200 but if it does what I want it to do it will be worth it.

And yes Lucy, I've actually had to take a hammer to the sweet feed before in the winter when it froze outside, ergo the insullated tack room emerged due to my ranting about it! !@#$%^&*(^&*(

With holidays coming up too, for those that are having to change stores etc. It's a good idea to get their holiday store hours too so you don't get caught with your pants down on Thanksgiving and end up having them eat your turkey. :lol:

Now all I want to hear is that this will help keep my horses from being so darn obese.

Now all I want to hear is that this will help keep my horses from being so darn obese.
Well, after you've tried it for awhile let us know. My closest dealer is 130 miles away, so I'm not jumping on it just yet, but did e-mail to see if I could get a sample (we'll see if I get one or not). The feed chart on the website does show a range to feed, so I guess start at the low end and see if it's enough.

"Now all I want to hear is that this will help keep my horses from being so darn obese."

Me too Marty !! This is why I'm changing from my present feed to the Platform. I've got a gelding that can get fat on air !!! So I'm really hoping I have the desired results with the Platform.

I used Omolene 200 for a while and loved the energy levels and coat condition of my gelding, but he was getting fatter and fatter on it and I was barely feeding him any (1 lb a day)

I still don't feel comfortable putting my lactating mare and 2 month old colt on it, because of the protein %, but I do have 2 geldings and the kids riding pony on it.

I guess I didn't realize how lucky I am to have a have 1 stop feed store, where I can get Platform in any amount I need and everything else too.

Ok, going outside to chissel the sweet feed out of the bag ...can't wait until they all are on the Platform.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back