Getting horse color tested

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alisha514

Reaction score
Were do you guys go to get your horse tested to find out what colors their carrying. Also how much does it cost to do this? I have 2 mares and my stallion that I would like to get tested to find out what they may be hiding.

Alisha

I use animal genetics and it is $25.00 for most of their tests but I know some are more (grey is $45.00)...

Good Luck!

I have used UC Davis http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/horse.php

But I have also used others. Then I found out about this one - http://www.dnadiagnostics.com/animal_genetics.html Takes a bit longer to get tests back but you can have a pile done for only $40 (US funds)

VeriSNP™ for Horses includes:

Identity/Parentage Markers

Cream dilution

Red

Tobiano

Silver

Sabino 1

Agouti

Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis (HYPP)

Lethal White Overo (OLWS)

Glycogen Branching Enzyme Deficiency (GBED)

Junctional Epidermolysis Bullosa (JEB)

I am have already pulled hair to send in.

Adell Equine, I went to the diagnostics site, but I don't see that you can get a pile of tests done for $40.00. I see individual prices for tests. Can you tell me about getting multiple tests for $40.00?

Thanks,

Joyce

I just had a thought - if this was a mandatory test to get your mini papered there would be no more mistakes on papers. I have Arabians and I have to send in DNA for them to get papers, so how hard would it be to have them do a colour tested at the same time... I think it would be so easy to set up... oh what a dream!

Thank you. Im surprised its so cheap im my opinion. I thought I would be over $100 or something. I guess if you do multiple test it can but I only have one test I want to check on my horses.

Alisha

Latest posts

Back